cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

zephyrus g14 poor battery life, solved?

karijuhani1969
Level 7
Hi

I have 2days old zephyrus g14 (Ryzen 7 5800) and I'm not happy with the battery life.
I have installed Battery bar and it correctly informs battery capacity 75998mWh.
But after overnight charge to 100% the max capacity is 17,7% lower than the max capacity. Battery Health in Full in MyAsus.
Why is this?

With Netflix streaming with around 50% brightness and iGPU set to ON I will get around 5h usage time, far lower than the promised 10h.
Discharge is around 9 000 mW.

Any feedback highly recommended as I'm considering to return the product.
5 REPLIES 5

BigJohnny
Level 13
10 hours is a stretch I have yet to see any ASUS laptop make. Maybe they were looking at webbrowsing or something that uses little to no resources to get those numbers. All marketing hype. Every discharge subtracts from your battery health.

Open cmd or powershell in admin and run powercfg /batteryreport. This will generate a battery report that is better than the battery bar. Also you have to take into account everything that is running in the background.

BigJohnny wrote:
10 hours is a stretch I have yet to see any ASUS laptop make. Maybe they were looking at webbrowsing or something that uses little to no resources to get those numbers. All marketing hype. Every discharge subtracts from your battery health.

Open cmd or powershell in admin and run powercfg /batteryreport. This will generate a battery report that is better than the battery bar. Also you have to take into account everything that is running in the background.

Yes, I understand this and actually on latest Nvidia and AMD drivers, iGPU on and almost idle I still dont get more than 5-6h operation time.
I run the battery report. It says that design capacity is 75 998mWh which seems correct.
Full change capacity is only 62793 mWh.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi karijuhani1969,
Is it GA401QM?
Is it idle model with Wi-Fi/Bluetooth off and is balanced mode in windows power plan for 5-6h?
Could you please long press power button over 40s and run battery report again?
May I have the bios version and a screenshot about the battery report?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi karijuhani1969,
Is it GA401QM?
Is it idle model with Wi-Fi/Bluetooth off and is balanced mode in windows power plan for 5-6h?
Could you please long press power button over 40s and run battery report again?
May I have the bios version and a screenshot about the battery report?
Thank you.

Hi
Yes, it's GA401QM with latest 406 bios.

I believe I solved the issues, as simple as downgrading back to Windows 10.
Now discharge on iGPU mode and pc idle is around 6000 mW.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi karijuhani1969,
Thank you for your reply.
The latest bios for GA401QM is 408.
https://rog.asus.com/laptops/rog-zephyrus/2021-rog-zephyrus-g14-series/helpdesk_bios
If you want to upgrade to win11 but faced battery issue again, please also update to bios 408.
Thank you.