cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choosing boards

Psycrow
Level 11
I got the Hero xiii board that has problems, so it will likely end up as a RMA.
So i need another motherboard and im gona buy it at the same store due to the RMA case.
Long story short is that i got my money invested in ther store for a another motherboard purchase swap. Seems fair for me and them.

Then i have my eyes on the ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XIII EXTREME and yes i know its expensive and might offer littel benefits compared to the hero xiii.
We can all argue about sales gimmicks and what no. But i like that board so far.

Also the main problem is that the new chipset boards will be released next month with the new cpu and maybe even cheaper than the ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XIII EXTREME.

Now i cant wait until these boards hit the market in Denmark since i doubt it will be this year, that we will get our hands in these boards in the stores.
Among the rest of the new heardware like cou and ddr 5 ram and pcie 5 gpu and m2.

I just picked a bad time to buy a new pc.
So i just want to hear peoples opinions in here.

It dosent concern me about the price but rather about me being happy for what i choose to buy and build, since my soul is commited to pc and gaming.
And atm im not happy 1 bit for the Hero xiii board that i would rather throw out the window than using time and tears on RMA cases.

Its just that people on other forums keeps telling me to wait and buy these 690 boards with alder lake cpu, and its getting to me in a way.
So i was hoping for some support regarding my choise of the ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XIII EXTREME. Im not gona make any OC more than the turbo mode offers me.

I just like that board since it has that extra ram slot for 2 x m.2 and has 3 x M.2 2242-2280 supports PCIe 4.0 x4 mode
So 5 slots total. and many other connectors for usb and argb devices. Its Important that it has lots of M.2 drives since i wont be using SSD or HDD

So please tell me im doing the right thing here before i buy 🙂
5 REPLIES 5

Braegnok
Level 14
Hello,

My first Asus motherboard was the P5E64 WS Evolution, and I have been using Asus boards ever since. Generally I buy the WS boards, but last few years have started buying Extreme and Apex boards,.. the Extreme line is EATX so plan on your chassis configuration for cables, as gromets may be covered due to size of board.

I have the Asus M12E and M12A,.. and I planed on skipping Rocket Lake and just cruising with XII chipset till Alder Lake in 2022 than perhaps upgrade. But when I seen folks running 5333MHz + DDR4 with Asus M13A boards, I figured XIII will be the last hoorah for DDR4, and I'm not missing out on that.

So I bought the M13A board with i9-11900K, and absolutely have no regrets. The M13E board would have been my #1 choice but my chassis is just not ideal for EATX boards.

Personally for your needs I feel the XIII Extreme board with 32GB 3600MHz CL14 B-die memory would be sweet, you will be vary happy.

Than you can sit back and see what shakes out with all the issues with DDR5, Alder Lake,.. as Rocket Lake & Asus Z590 microcode/BIOS is currently mature stable,.. you will not be disappointed running in default settings with gear 1 XMP memory profile.

Psycrow
Level 11
Nice to hear and thx for ur kind words..they fall great on me 🙂
Speciel when my Hero Xiii messes with me and everyone tells me to buy the 690 and alder lake over the Extreme eatx.
being first mover isent me 😄

Im going big with chassis, so im buying the meshify xl and some riingquad 140 mm fans
I also got the 11900k cpu 🙂

Im gona use a gpu riser and add some phantek leds strips here and there in that case..its gona be an expensive trip 😄

Braegnok
Level 14
Looks like you will have plenty of room with the Meshify 2 XL chassis,.. swapping covers with the gromets on right side. Vary nice chassis!

I wouldn't worry about your 11900K chips SP prediction if your not going to overclock,.. I was disappointed at first with mine seeing SP 50,.. but it's fine. Will still do 5.3GHz all core OC, just needs 1.7V to do it. lol

Only issue I have experienced with Asus Z590 and RL chip was with running Windows 11,.. when swapping out memory, loading default settings, it was a pain booting back into Windows with PTT disabled running W11,.. that issue was resolved with latest BIOS as PTT is Enabled in Default settings, now I can load default settings and boot straight into Windows with just PIN at sign-in screen. It was a small issue and there were work arounds, like booting back into BIOS every time you load default settings and Enabling PTT than booting into Windows,.. but that was a pain, when testing/binning memory kit's and loading default settings all day.

The GPU riser is a good way to go nowadays, cards are getting larger and heavy, most taking three slots,.. and with water cooling now, you can add active backplate which needs space above card clear,.. with both front and back water blocks the cards are vary heavy now.

I hope you enjoy your new build,.. +1 it's gona be an expensive trip. :cool:

Braegnok wrote:
Looks like you will have plenty of room with the Meshify 2 XL chassis,.. swapping covers with the gromets on right side. Vary nice chassis!

I wouldn't worry about your 11900K chips SP prediction if your not going to overclock,.. I was disappointed at first with mine seeing SP 50,.. but it's fine. Will still do 5.3GHz all core OC, just needs 1.7V to do it. lol

Only issue I have experienced with Asus Z590 and RL chip was with running Windows 11,.. when swapping out memory, loading default settings, it was a pain booting back into Windows with PTT disabled running W11,.. that issue was resolved with latest BIOS as PTT is Enabled in Default settings, now I can load default settings and boot straight into Windows with just PIN at sign-in screen. It was a small issue and there were work arounds, like booting back into BIOS every time you load default settings and Enabling PTT than booting into Windows,.. but that was a pain, when testing/binning memory kit's and loading default settings all day.

The GPU riser is a good way to go nowadays, cards are getting larger and heavy, most taking three slots,.. and with water cooling now, you can add active backplate which needs space above card clear,.. with both front and back water blocks the cards are vary heavy now.

I hope you enjoy your new build,.. +1 it's gona be an expensive trip. :cool:

My core runs 5100 on turbo mode and i was sort of surpriced. Since i come from a 4 core I7 where i manualy OC to 4.2 and was proud.

Im not in to water cooling since i have seen a guy loose his gpu to water drops and i have seen pictures on reddit with a fried cpu..so thats a 500 $ toll to risk over lower heat 😄

I'll be honest, maybe someone will judge me, but I just always take the most expensive product and then I'm pleased that I bought it myself and use it with pleasure, not just because it is the most expensive thing in its segment))