cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus bad Z690 heatsink design means poor cooler compatibility

raven77uk
Level 10
The height of the VRM heatsink on the below motherboards is too high and the majority of Noctua and similar coolers will not fit. This is bad design by Asus.

For example the ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 is what I was going to buy but it will not work with my Noctua, See link below for how many noctua coolers are not compatible, poor Asus design.

https://ncc.noctua.at/motherboards/model/ASUS-ROG-Strix-Z690-A-Gaming-WiFi-D4-5375

ASUS ROG Strix B660-I Gaming
Mechanically incompatible due to height of the VRM heatsink
ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4
ASUS ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming WiFi
ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming WiFi
ASUS ROG Strix Z690-I Gaming WiFi D4

https://ncc.noctua.at/coolers/NH-U12A-chromax.black-83/motherboards/ASUS/LGA%201700
18 REPLIES 18

roganaut
Level 8
Hi,

same here.

Air cooling seems to be obsolete since generations on Asus Zxxx-I boards.

Have to wait for release. Hopefully Noctua or be quiet! create new coolers.

Besides on Z690I AORUS the Noctua NH-D15 is compatible. So it's brand related.

I've been always with ASUS boards but don't want to go AIO.

Braegnok
Level 14
Noctua is in the process of updating most multi-socket CPU cooler models,.. due to LGA 1700 socket mounting hole pattern, and stack-up height.

It's no surprise that LGA 1700 requires a new mounting mechanism for CPU coolers.

Braegnok wrote:
Noctua is in the process of updating most multi-socket CPU cooler models,.. due to LGA 1700 socket mounting hole pattern, and stack-up height.

It's no surprise that LGA 1700 requires a new mounting mechanism for CPU coolers.

Nothing to do with noctua, this is all on Asus.

Seems to be a Strix issue, the Hero I ordered doesn't seem to have a problem. Strange

Does anybody know the exact height of the vrm coolers from an Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4?
Cant find them anywhere in the specs.... this is pretty poor...
What are the vrm coolers heights of the other z690 boards?
Thanks

Krewmen wrote:
Does anybody know the exact height of the vrm coolers from an Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4?
Cant find them anywhere in the specs.... this is pretty poor...
What are the vrm coolers heights of the other z690 boards?
Thanks

I've been building PC's since 1985, ain't never seen that in any specifications. Why the Hero clears and the others don't is a mystery. You'll just have to get it and figure it out after you get it.

It's the daft plastic Asus have put over top vrm heatsink.

Yes, same, i resolved by turning the cooler sideways by 90 degrees .. you may need to adjust your airflow accordingly

Should be interesting. I have a Hero coming today with a Noctua DH-15D waiting on it.

It is compatible according to the list.