cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Those who Had enough of ASUS G74SX look here!

RobinJack
Level 7
hi everyone I just would like to share my thoughts and experiences on this laptop. This is the 1st time I bought Asus laptop and I hope it wont be the last time.

Problem 1: Most of the time when I do a start up on the laptop, the screen would either hang and blackout OR Blue screen will appear and state that it is doing physical memory dump. Most of the time I start my laptop I would need to do a recovery everytime and this will waste somewhat like 1 hr plus for the computer to keep repairing and reboot and recover.

Problem 2 : I notice that whenever I face the problem above, I went to test running it on safe mode with networking and it will do just fine, so I wonder if the graphics card have problem or not. Whether I am using Driver Version 268.37 or 296.10 I will face the problems stated above.

Problem 3 : I think this has alot to do with business ethics and integrity issue. I bought this laptop on March 2012 the IT Show at Suntec City. On the same exact day when I brought the laptop over to Taiseng building to upgrade the ram to 16 GB, upon opening the box me and the Asus Service Personnel discovered that the battery is dented. Initially the Asus service personnel trying to push me to go back look for the retailer to change a new battery, but logically speaking I thought the manufactuer should take up the responsibility with initative and not argue with the client that the problem is not Asus. In the end after much educating the Asus service personnel on they decided to change a new battery with me.

So basically after educating the Asus service staff, he finally accept that they should just give me new battery. My point in posting is not making a wooha about this issue. But I believed the manufacturer should seriously look into the problems of G74SX instead of producing more products even without understanding the problems of the previous earlier models(garbage in garbage out). So I hope that if this is link to driver issue, please kindly update the earlier version as early as possible, and this would save alot of people alot of precious time. Overall, it is just this issue that is bugging me which I also google and found out globally people are also facing this issue.

regards,
Jack
14 REPLIES 14

Aysoos
Level 7
Are those drivers from the Asus website? I would recommend using the ones from the website, because personally, the ones from the nvidia site have been giving similar symptoms (After bootup, screen goes blank). I would recommend downloading Driver Sweeper, from Phyxion.net and uninstalling your current drivers and then doing a driver sweep using the Driver Sweeper utility. If all else fails, just go for a format and try again. Hope this helps

Aysoos wrote:
Are those drivers from the Asus website? I would recommend using the ones from the website, because personally, the ones from the nvidia site have been giving similar symptoms (After bootup, screen goes blank). I would recommend downloading Driver Sweeper, from Phyxion.net and uninstalling your current drivers and then doing a driver sweep using the Driver Sweeper utility. If all else fails, just go for a format and try again. Hope this helps

Yes only the 296.10 is from Nividia

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Sounds like your Win7 install has gone haywire. IF you are able to get a proper OS load with no problems, try rolling back Win7 to it's 1st restore point and see if that helps any. If not, you might have to format the drive and reinstall.

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
Sounds like your Win7 install has gone haywire. IF you are able to get a proper OS load with no problems, try rolling back Win7 to it's 1st restore point and see if that helps any. If not, you might have to format the drive and reinstall.

but whenever I do a recovery I can play the laptop. I scared if I do a reformat I may spoil the laptop

RobinJack wrote:
but whenever I do a recovery I can play the laptop. I scared if I do a reformat I may spoil the laptop

How about a factory restore? Just go back to the OEM setup.

It's unclear from your description....was this a display/demo model? You indicated that you bought it at a show...

BrodyBoy wrote:
How about a factory restore? Just go back to the OEM setup.

It's unclear from your description....was this a display/demo model? You indicated that you bought it at a show...
hi bro I bought it as new set

RobinJack wrote:
hi bro I bought it as new set

So again....how about a factory restore?

BrodyBoy wrote:
So again....how about a factory restore?
Hi bro can share with me how do I do a factory restore in a step by step point form please, thanks alot

fuzon1337
Level 10
Hi @RobinJack

Using Recovery Partition
The Recovery Partition quickly restores your Notebook PC's software to its original working state. Before using the Recovery Partition, copy your data files (such as Outlook PST files) to USB storage devices or to a network drive and make note of any customized configuration settings (such as network settings).

Method One
Using the Recovery Partition (on selected models)
1. Press < F9 > during bootup.
2. Press [Enter] to select Windows Setup [EMS Enabled].
3. Select the language you want to recover and click Next.
4. Read the ASUS Preload Wizard messages and click Next.
5. Select a partition option and click Next. Partition options:

Recover Windows to first partition only.
This option deletes only the first partition and allows you to keep other partitions, and to create a new system partition as drive "C".

Recover Windows to entire HD.
This option deletes all partitions from your hard disk drive and creates a new system partition as drive "C".

Recover Windows to entire HD with two partitions.
This option deletes all partitions from your hard drive and creates two new partitions "C" (25%) and "D" (75%).

6. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the recovery process.

I hope this is good enough 🙂 (only copy and paste from asus support site)
Source: http://support.asus.com/Troubleshooting/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=G74Sx&s=336&hashedid=LUFmeP8f...
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205