cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair Hero VIII - Windows 11 unresponsive Issue

sHAYM4N
Level 7
Hi all

So I upgraded to Windows 11 a few weeks back, everything has been mostly fine though do have a strange issue that noone else seems to have reported so wondering if its down to drivers.

Very occasionally (like once a day in heavy use, or every few days in moderate use) my system will hangup. It will still respond to some things, cursor will move, windows will minimise & maximise (but not close), but the telltale sign seems to be that audio will bug out or go on a loop.

Most annoying thing is I cant even get out of it safely, opening task manager just makes it almost crawl, and the list never populates, or if I go to either sign out or shutdown it will just go to the sign out/shutdown animation and hang there forever - so a forced system restart is the only way.

Only thing that seems to be happening whenever it has happened is that bother Photoshop & Spotify have been open, so not sure if its something down to either one of those yet or audio drivers (which I'm still having to use what Realtek driver Windows pulled due to no driver listings at apart from the chipset).

Could try the latest Windows 10 audio driver Im guessing, but just wanted to put this out there in case anyone else had come across it first?
6 REPLIES 6

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi,

Try by updating your drivers.

You need these drivers for your ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) motherboard :

[DRIVERS] AMD Chipset/SATA (3xx/4xx/5xx/TRX40)

- AMD Chipset Drivers

[DRIVERS] Intel Ethernet/WiFi/Bluetooth

- Intel Ethernet Drivers (Drivers Only) :

Drivers - I21x-AT (1.0GbE)

- Intel WiFi Drivers (Drivers Only)

- Intel Bluetooth Drivers (Drivers Only)

[DRIVERS] Realtek Ethernet/WiFi/Bluetooth

- Realtek Ethernet Drivers (Drivers Only)

Drivers - Windows 11

[DRIVERS] Realtek Audio (MB | Intel 2xx/3xx/4xx/5xx/6xx & AMD 3xx/4xx/5xx)

You have an ASUS ROG SS3|DTS Sound Unbound motherboard, so :

You need Realtek Audio Drivers (UAD - ASUS ROG SS3-DTS MB) from the first post of the thread.

Follow scrupulously your CLEANUP process then your INSTALL process, for the next drivers packages that I would release, you will can directly follow your UPDATE process.

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi,

You need these drivers for your ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) motherboard :

- AMD Chipset Drivers

Drivers - Windows 11

You need Realtek Audio Drivers (UAD - ASUS ROG SS3-DTS MB) from the first post of the thread.

Follow scrupulously your CLEANUP process then your INSTALL process, for the next drivers packages that I would release, you will can directly follow your UPDATE process.

MoKiChU wrote:
Hi,

- AMD Chipset Drivers

Drivers - Windows 11

Brilliant, many thanks will try this shortly. Someone sent a link to your listings on a previous post, but wasn't too sure if the Windows 10 drivers were advisable at the moment, but with this being a problem that doesn't seem to have gone away will definitely give it a shot!

Thanks again

sHAYM4N
Level 7
So unfortunately doesn't seem to be like a known issue as the driver updates didnt do the trick 😞

Stumped now. This was a fresh install of Windows 11, & dont really want to go back to Windows 10 as I had issues there too with search stopping working on user accounts after every 4 months or so.

Open to any suggestions!

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
You can maybe try using something such as Latencymon to see if it picks up the guilty process.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
You can maybe try using something such as Latencymon to see if it picks up the guilty process.

Thanks Im not too up on LatencyMon, but will give that a shot and see if I can spot anything. Not sure if it is audio related or not, I do use an elgato wave 3 with wavelink to route audio so maybe asking a bit much of Windows 11 right now in its infancy too 😶

I work as a designer & a little bit of dev, so my PC does end up getting quite a bit installed low level that Windows 11 may not like this early. NodeJS, WAMP, GIT etc

Just weird that task manager itself doesn't properly respond. Yesterday when it occurred it did eventually populate the processes but it was unresponsive, low cpu and lowish ram usage as well 34% or so.

I would move back to Windows 10, but every 5 months or so search would just stop responding on me. Tried various documented fixes powershell scripts etc, uninstalling cortana - sometimes would work but in the end it would just flake out on me and need a reformat. So stuck between a bit of a rock and hardplace with either atm!