Did you mean: 

NVME 2TB ~ Seen as SCSI in device manager ? / Windows Backup Issue Too

7_62s
Level 8
NVME 2TB ~ Seen as SCSI in device manager ? / Windows Backup Issue Too

hello,

i recently installed new nvme drives and having a couple issues

Motherboard = Z390 Pro Gaming w/ Bios 3004
Samsung 970 evo plus 1TB = C: drive - installed on lower m2.2 slot and it holds OS(win11)
Samsung 970 evo plus 2TB = E: drive - installed on upper m2.1 slot and is game drive

Bios sees both drives correctly
Windows sees both drives
Samsung magician shows both drives and benchmarks are pretty much the same

I am not running RAID setup
AHCI is enabled

1st Issue:
~ Win11 see the 2TB drive as SCSI:
Device Manager - NVMe Samsung SSD 970 SCSI Disk Device
1TB shows as:
Device Manager - Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB

why is windows calling the 2TB drive a scsi?

driver details shows the same driver info on both drives

2nd Issue:
~ I cannot create a Windows disk image and have it save on the 2TB drive / this drive is not an option (cause of scsi designation?)
~ I choose another drive to do a backup on and the 2TB drive is selected along with the C drive and its greyed out and will be part of the backup.
its as if the motherboard is telling Win11 that the drives are the same/connected

As far i know i have everything set for normal drives / i used disk management to set up the 2TB after Win11 clean install was done

im not sure where to start with a fix for this ... ive tried drivers/uninstalling the 2TB/removing the 2TB

something is not quite right as the backup should not be combining the 2TB separate drive with the 1TB C: drive

is everything ok with my bios setup and or is this a Win11 issue?

any info here would be a great help ... tyia!
5 REPLIES 5

dingo99
Level 10
1st Issue:
Check to see if different storage controller drivers are attached to the drives. In Device Manager, selecting "View->Devices by connection" can help determine this (need to check the driver on the controller, not on the drive itself). Your boot drive might be using the Microsoft driver, while the other drive might be using a 3rd-party driver (Intel or Samsung, for example).

2nd issue:
Windows may pull additional drives into the image backup if it thinks they're required for the system to boot. For example: a program is set to run automatically at startup, and its executable is located on the 😧 drive. Game clients like Steam/Origin/etc can be the culprit here, so it's best to install them to C:, and then tell the client to install its games to your other drive.

7_62s
Level 8
dingo99 wrote:
1st Issue:
Check to see if different storage controller drivers are attached to the drives. In Device Manager, selecting "View->Devices by connection" can help determine this (need to check the driver on the controller, not on the drive itself). Your boot drive might be using the Microsoft driver, while the other drive might be using a 3rd-party driver (Intel or Samsung, for example).

2nd issue:
Windows may pull additional drives into the image backup if it thinks they're required for the system to boot. For example: a program is set to run automatically at startup, and its executable is located on the 😧 drive. Game clients like Steam/Origin/etc can be the culprit here, so it's best to install them to C:, and then tell the client to install its games to your other drive.

thanks for the info!

2nd issue resolved ... i removed the clients and put them on C: drive.
odd though as no client was allowed to start with the pc turning on and i have always put my clients on other drives. owell ... its fixed now 🙂

1st issue ... well, all drivers are the same on the controller(Root Port) and the drives themselves, if im looking in the right spots.
i posted pics of what im seeing.

so, im still confused as to why the drive is named scsi ...
and im not sure why the drives are using microsoft drivers ... i installed the samsung driver but, it looks like the controller is using it...???
is the samsung driver supposed to be on the drive too?

im not sure where the samsung driver is located to try and force a driver update

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi,

To understand better, you should know that :

SATA AHCI : The controller is in your motherboard, and it drives all your SATA SSDs/SSHDs/HDDs connected on it (so there will be 1 single SATA AHCI Controller device for all SATA SSDs/SSHDs/HDDs).

PCIe NVMe : The controller is in your NVMe SSDs (so there will be as many NVMe Controller devices as there are NVMe SSDs).

All the devices listed in Disk drives category are system devices, using system drivers which are not meant to be updated (whose version corresponds to the version of the system : 10.0.22000.x drivers version for Windows 11 21H2/CO/22000.x system version for example).

If you want to check your SATA AHCI controller device in your Device Manager, go to the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers category.
If you want to check your NVMe controller devices in your Device Manager, go to the Strorage controllers category.

Regarding the SCSI word in disk naming in Disk drives category, it's normal, both use SCSI (It is just a different naming from SAMSUNG depending on the gen of SSD : 970 vs 970 Plus)

You can check this by going to the Properties of your Samsung SSD devices : Details tab > Device Instance Path : SCSI\DISK...

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi,

SATA AHCI : The controller is in your motherboard, and it drives all your SATA SSDs/SSHDs/HDDs connected on it (so there will be 1 single SATA AHCI Controller device for all SATA SSDs/SSHDs/HDDs).

PCIe NVMe : The controller is in your NVMe SSDs (so there will be as many NVMe Controller devices as there are NVMe SSDs).

All the devices listed in Disk drives category are system devices, using system drivers which are not meant to be updated (whose version corresponds to the version of the system : 10.0.22000.x drivers version for Windows 11 21H2/CO/22000.x system version for example).

If you want to check your SATA AHCI controller device in your Device Manager, go to the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers category.
If you want to check your NVMe controller devices in your Device Manager, go to the Strorage controllers category.

Regarding the SCSI word in disk naming in Disk drives category, it's normal, both use SCSI (It is just a different naming from SAMSUNG depending on the gen/range/size of SSD), you can check this by going to the Properties of your Samsung SSD devices : Details tab > Device Instance Path : SCSI\DISK...

MoKiChU wrote:
Hi,

Regarding the SCSI word in disk naming in Disk drives category, it's normal, both use SCSI (It is just a different naming from SAMSUNG depending on the gen/range/size of SSD), you can check this by going to the Properties of your Samsung SSD devices : Details tab > Device Instance Path : SCSI\DISK...

ok,
and interesting, thank you for info!

i checked the device instance path you mentioned and both drives have "scsi/disk " at the start of their lines.

seeing the scsi name in the device manager just confused me as i thought that term was used for raid only.
and i thought something was bugged/glitched up in my system or that i didnt select a toggle somewhere.

i guess as long as its just the name of the drive then it is not anything to worry about.

i really appreciate the quick responses, the info and the help you 2 members gave on this!

thank you!