cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I install an M.2x2 in slot #2 (ROG Max XII Formula mobo) can I still use SATA 5&6?

Wingclip
Level 9
Hi Folks,
I just bought my first M.2 drive. It’s a Crucial P5 Plus 1TB PCIe 4.0 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD
(Here: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B098WL46RS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details).

I’ve built numerous desktop systems but because the restrictions regarding the use of M.2 drives confused me too much, I just stayed away from them. However, I’ve decided to try one out and want to install it in my present system.

Presently, I have an RTX-2070 Super installed in the PCIe Slot 1 and I’m using all 6 built-in SATA6 ports on the motherboard. The ports 1 through 5 have SSDs connected and I have an optical drive connected to port 6.

I’ve listed my basic system specs below and included a pic of the way it’s setup so that you can see why I want to select the M.2_slot 2 position for the M.2 drive.

The M.2 slot 2 is really the only place I can put it. The other option would be in M.2_slot 3 on the backside of the board. However, to do that, I’d have to remove the motherboard, which would be rather ‘involved’.

My concern is if I’m interpreting the ASUS manual M.2 specifications correctly. The way I understand it, I think I can still use the SATA6 ports 5 & 6 and leave my RTX-2070 in the PCIe slot 1, if the M.2 drive, I install has a default speed of x2.

I’d like to know if anyone has a similar configuration as mine and is also running an M.2 x 2 drive in the Slot 2 position?

The sooner I can get a good answer on this question, the better, so I would certainly appreciate hearing from someone who understands the concerns I have and knows if the M.2 x 2 drive will work properly without disabling my RTX-207 or either of my SATA6 ports 5 & 6.
Thank you,
Rich

My system specs:
O/S: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit/ Corsair 780T case
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Z490 Maximus XII Formula LGA 1200
RAM: T-Force XTreem 3600MHz, 32GB (2 x 16GB)
PSU: EVGA Supernova 1300G2 1300W PSU
CPU: Intel i7–10700K
GPU: EVGA RTX-2070 Super
Water-block: EKWB EK-Quantum CPU block
Cooling Pump: EKWB EK-XTOP DDC 3.2 PWM Elite pump
Capacitor cooling block: EKWB EK-Quantum Momentum VRM Bridge
Supply Tanks: Dual reservoir for a total 900 mL cooling system
Radiators: [2] Full copper Swiftech Radiators: 240 mm (Top-side) and 120 mm (Front) all push/pull fan configuration

I wanted to buy an M.2 x 4 drive, (the Seagate FireCuda 530 500GB Solid State Drive - M.2 PCIe Gen4 ×4 NVMe 1.4), but I was afraid the Slot #2 would cause the drive to run at x 2 speeds with my present hardware configuration. Therefore, I decided to buy the Crucial’s x2 M.2.
2 REPLIES 2

Wingclip
Level 9
How about it? Anyone?

Hemimax
Level 8
On my Prime Z590A using M.2 slot 2 disconnects SATA 2 and using slot 3 disconnects SATA 6, only slot 1 does not share bandwidth.