cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable overclocking

JackMaccone
Level 7
I got myself a Rog strix gaming laptop, and i noticed that it has overclock on by default.

Overclocking is a little iffy by me because it basically kills off the CPU faster than normal and i am not ready to loose such a big purchase i just did.

I was wondering if there is a way to disable it, i took a look in the BIOS but there is no feature to disable anything.

Help would be greatly appreciated
7 REPLIES 7

BigJohnny
Level 13
Are you sure its overclocked and not just turbo mode which is not much of anything. Its not the speed that kills it, its the temps.
The only recommended thing I can suggest is go into power modes and run either balanced or power saving for lower clocks. I overclock the crap out of everything I can get my hands on and have yet to lose a CPU over it, anything you will get out of a laptop is going to be minimal at best. Keeping it cool is the name of the game. Dont sit it on your lap without a flat surface, dont sit it on furniture or your bed. it needs room to breathe. Thats the number one killer of laptops, people sitting them where the air coming in on the bottom is restricted.

BigJohnny wrote:
Are you sure its overclocked and not just turbo mode which is not much of anything. Its not the speed that kills it, its the temps.
The only recommended thing I can suggest is go into power modes and run either balanced or power saving for lower clocks. I overclock the crap out of everything I can get my hands on and have yet to lose a CPU over it, anything you will get out of a laptop is going to be minimal at best. Keeping it cool is the name of the game. Dont sit it on your lap without a flat surface, dont sit it on furniture or your bed. it needs room to breathe. Thats the number one killer of laptops, people sitting them where the air coming in on the bottom is restricted.

yeah i have it on my table, and i am not sure about the overclock because the temp peaks around 70 when i play and i put my fans on turbo. Whenever i play the Ghz goes up.

RedSector73
Level 12
In addition to what BigJohnny said, laptops throttle if the temps get out of wack, long before anything dies. Enjoy your new computer and let it do what is does best.

Nate152
Hi JackMaccone,

What can kill off or.... degrade a cpu is voltage and temperature. You won't have to worry about voltage, what you want to focus on is temperature.

70c is an excellent temperature and even on the cool side especially for a laptop, I've seen many others run much warmer than this.

You didn't specify the model but generally Intel cpu's can run warmer than amd cpu's. Curious myself, I asked an Intel rep about this before and he said up to 90c 24/7 is fine.

You could even back off the fans and let the temp get to 80c for quieter gaming.

Temperature says everything is perfectly fine.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi JackMaccone,

What can kill off or.... degrade a cpu is voltage and temperature. You won't have to worry about voltage, what you want to focus on is temperature.

70c is an excellent temperature and even on the cool side especially for a laptop, I've seen many others run much warmer than this.

You didn't specify the model but generally Intel cpu's can run warmer than amd cpu's. Curious myself, I asked an Intel rep about this before and he said up to 90c 24/7 is fine.

You could even back off the fans and let the temp get to 80c for quieter gaming.

i got an AMD Ryzen 5900 and yeah 70° is cozy but nothing to be alarmed about i assume, i am just used to have my 50° on my desktop PC so having 70° is concerning to me, but if you say that 70° is alright then i am reliefed.

thank you very much. 🙂

Nate152 wrote:
Hi JackMaccone,

Hi Nate,

For the sake of clarity, it's actually current that is the prime cause of degradation, or more current being proportionate to the frequency and voltage.

At stock operation, degrading a CPU with temps alone would take considerably longer. Hope this helps
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Nate152