cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback about product quality

Martin01
Level 7
Hi,
I just assembled a new Z490 platform with a ROG MAXIMUS XII HERO (WI-FI).

To my surprise, even if anything else looked unused, the latching of the CPU socket had scratches. The first thing I did was EZ-Flash. But the bios showed only 16 of 32GB of Crucial Ballistix BL2K16G36C16U4R. To "repair" that, I inserted only one RAM, then two and changed both against each other, several times, until the bios showed the full kit of 2 x 16GB. I assemble my PC's since several decades, I had a E-ATX from EVGA running before, but I never had a experience like that.

Everything is working now, incl. XMP II. But I wonder if the board is defective.

Kind regards,
Martin
2 REPLIES 2

Nate152
Hi Martin01

It could be a ram stick wasn't fully seated is why one wasn't showing up, if both sticks are now detected, seems there are no problems with the motherboard.

I know we all want our precious ROG hardware to arrive in pristine condition, but since it's just the latch, I wouldn't be too concerned as your cooler or water block covers it. If it were me, I wouldn't consider an RMA over it since the motherboard is working properly.

Give it a test run with a game and let us know how it's going.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Martin01

It could be a ram stick wasn't fully seated is why one wasn't showing up, if both sticks are now detected, seems there are no problems with the motherboard.

I know we all want our precious ROG hardware to arrive in pristine condition, but since it's just the latch, I wouldn't be too concerned as your cooler or water block covers it. If it were me, I wouldn't consider an RMA over it since the motherboard is working properly.

Give it a test run with a game and let us know how it's going.

Thanks for your reply.

I made sure that I had the double latching sound of the ram sticks. + I loaded several times "default settings" in bios, maybe this fixed the sticks. I can't tell. It's just that I had something like that never in over 30 years. - It took hours to get both running.

Now I get frame drops with games. Which I had not with my old system. Anything in relation of software is up-to-date and new installed. And there are assistance programs from ASUS which do not work correctly or simply can't be installed. But that's okay for now, because they are not mandatory.

No offense, but it's not a good start. ; )