cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix Z690 Gaming A or any Z690 Voltage increasing just by changing sync all core???

Adrian1983
Level 11
Hi,

I have a 12900K and an Asus ROG Strix Z690 Gaming A DDR 4 motherboard, First of all I am using XMP 1 for my memory and have set it to 3200mhz everything is fine there.

I cannot select "Best Case Scenario" for SVID behaviour on this CPU as it will crash on anything intensive instantly I know this isn't always possible with every CPU but it worked with my 9700K and my Maximus XI Hero, However I have set it to typical behaviour and everything is fine instead of Asus's Auto setting, I am assuming "Typical Scenario" is the next best thing to best case??

Also I am just trying to see how far I can push the CPU just by clock ratio but when I select sync all core and then 5.1ghz all core and go to Windows 11 check hardware info and voltages have increased far to high at over 1.45V, My question why is the Vcore changing when I am only changing the Multiplier Ratio??

Thanks in advance.
11 REPLIES 11

Falkentyne
Level 12
Adrian1983 wrote:
Hi,

I have a 12900K and an Asus ROG Strix Z690 Gaming A DDR 4 motherboard, First of all I am using XMP 1 for my memory and have set it to 3200mhz everything is fine there.

I cannot select "Best Case Scenario" for SVID behaviour on this CPU as it will crash on anything intensive instantly I know this isn't always possible with every CPU but it worked with my 9700K and my Maximus XI Hero, However I have set it to typical behaviour and everything is fine instead of Asus's Auto setting, I am assuming "Typical Scenario" is the next best thing to best case??

Also I am just trying to see how far I can push the CPU just by clock ratio but when I select sync all core and then 5.1ghz all core and go to Windows 11 check hardware info and voltages have increased far to high at over 1.45V, My question why is the Vcore changing when I am only changing the Multiplier Ratio??

Thanks in advance.

SVID Best case scenario sets the AC/DC Loadlines to 0.01 mOhms. Your CPU is not going to be stable using SVID/Auto voltages with ACLL values that low unless you have the best CPU on the planet. ACLL boosts the CPU's voltage supply (using Pcode) based on what the CPU thinks it needs. When you sets ACLL to 0.01 mOhms you basically remove this boost completely. If you want to use Best Case Scenario, you are going to have to set an adaptive voltage or offset voltage ceiling. Or you could possibly try not using adaptive or offset and try increasing the loadline calibration instead. But these processors were designed for 1 mOhm impedance. They work best with Asus recommended values. Try reading my guide or skatterbencher's guide for how to configure these processors and don't go by what worked on your 9900k.

https://skatterbencher.com/2021/11/04/alder-lake-overclocking-whats-new/

You also can't compare 9900k with this platform.

Falkentyne wrote:
SVID Best case scenario sets the AC/DC Loadlines to 0.01 mOhms. Your CPU is not going to be stable using SVID/Auto voltages with ACLL values that low unless you have the best CPU on the planet. ACLL boosts the CPU's voltage supply (using Pcode) based on what the CPU thinks it needs. When you sets ACLL to 0.01 mOhms you basically remove this boost completely. If you want to use Best Case Scenario, you are going to have to set an adaptive voltage or offset voltage ceiling. Or you could possibly try not using adaptive or offset and try increasing the loadline calibration instead. But these processors were designed for 1 mOhm impedance. They work best with Asus recommended values. Try reading my guide or skatterbencher's guide for how to configure these processors and don't go by what worked on your 9900k.

https://skatterbencher.com/2021/11/04/alder-lake-overclocking-whats-new/

You also can't compare 9900k with this platform.

Aah I see that's great info! Thank you I really appreciate that, I will take a read, Weirdly when I bumped all cores to 5.1 and left the SVID on Typical behaviour it was stable around 1.4v I think it was in cinebench but If I set a manual voltage even by just bumping all cores 1 notch up to 5ghz caused an instant crash in cinebench a 1.35v so I am not sure what is going on there.

Shamino
Only maximus has the diesense reading so the voltage you see is socket sense which is much higher. Secondly you can try svid trained as well. You are not going to get much above 5.1 for cb r23 so you should run by core usage with higher ratios for 3 to 5cores and you can then probably run games at 53 54

Shamino wrote:
Only maximus has the diesense reading so the voltage you see is socket sense which is much higher. Secondly you can try svid trained as well. You are not going to get much above 5.1 for cb r23 so you should run by core usage with higher ratios for 3 to 5cores and you can then probably run games at 53 54

Thanks yeah that is what I was looking at, Seems there is not much in these this time in terms of headroom unfortunately, I will do some more tweaking see what I can come up with thank you.

Voltage control on this board is completely erratic for me. I think the bios needs A LOT of work.

It took me a lot of work to get it stable. When I set offsets or manual voltages, it seems to be a crap shoot what happens. Sometimes it seems to completely ignore any voltage settings I set, and other times it gives crazy overvolts.

I've owned a lot of Asus Maximus boards, so I'm familiar with the bios. I'm going to go read the Skatterbench guide to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Edit: Yep, odd naming

In the ASUS ROG BIOS, you can configure the Adaptive Voltage in the Extreme Tweaker menu. First set CPU Core/Cage Voltage to Adaptive mode, then you can set the adaptive voltage for the OC ratio under the Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage.

Do note that the term “additional” is slightly confusing as it may sound like the voltage set is added to the default voltage. To be clear, in this field you directly input the desired voltage for the OC ratio.

I was entering the amount of voltage offset I desired, when the setting is really asking for the desired voltage.

and,

The Ring has its own voltage-frequency curve, meaning it will request a certain voltage when running a certain frequency. However, the CPU cores and Ring share the same voltage plane. So, if you force a specific Ring frequency that requires a higher voltage, is it very possible that would result in effectively overvolting the CPU cores. That in turn would increase the temperatures and power consumption.

Conclusion, Alder lake is psychotic.

Lith1um wrote:
Voltage control on this board is completely erratic for me. I think the bios needs A LOT of work.

It took me a lot of work to get it stable. When I set offsets or manual voltages, it seems to be a crap shoot what happens. Sometimes it seems to completely ignore any voltage settings I set, and other times it gives crazy overvolts.

I've owned a lot of Asus Maximus boards, so I'm familiar with the bios. I'm going to go read the Skatterbench guide to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Edit: Yep, odd naming

I was entering the amount of voltage offset I desired, when the setting is really asking for the desired voltage.

and,

Conclusion, Alder lake is psychotic.

I have to say I completely agree, Twice yes Twice I've pumped 1.5v through my 12900K because Asus's description in the bios is useless it makes no sense to me and it's not clear at all, I've owned many Asus boards in the past and had adaptive voltage set on my previous Maximus XI Hero but Asus's bios here I have no idea what they are doing, Asus make your bios's clearer right now they're a complete mess.

Shamino wrote:

Hi Shamino.

I have z690-i Strix gaming mobo, mini itx.

Do I understand it right that it has only socket sense ?

So when I set voltage manually in bios lets say to 1.4v is(is this socket sense as well?), this is actually much lower? then in windows under load(due to llc) if i see 1.35V this is socket sense so actually lower voltage, lets say 1.3v(die??)?

So realistically, I could potentially set the voltage higher in bios because the real voltage in the core is much lower ?

Whats the safe max voltage you recommend - SOCKET sense, that would be shown in windows in 2 scenarios:

1 core loaded

8 cores loaded

(12900KS)

Thanks

Lith1um
Level 7
Mine was just dumping 1.475 into it. This board's days are numbered. To be honest, I'd throw it right in the trash if I could buy DDR5 anywhere. Wouldn't inflict this mess on anyone, even an enemy.

Three generations of Hero, and several generations of Maximus, just set it and it works. This board, I spent half the day tweaking it and woke up the next day with it trying to overvolt my 12900k.

A lot of people kept saying to go with that plain jane, all black dd4 board with 3 letters that does everything right for just over 200usd, but I didn't listen. Oh well, I have the new socket 1700 EK water block coming. When it arrives, I think I'm ditching this Strix, and there's no way I'd ever purchase or recommend another. Without die sense voltage, I just don't see the point in marketing this as an overclocking board. Unless you just don't care if people play craps with their expensive Alder Lake.

And on your last point about the bios being clearer. I think Asus renames settings just to be unique, which is so bloody annoying. For example, 1T command rate? Nope. Asus calls it 1N, 2N, 3N, N:1. Why, Asus? Why?

Gear 1? Gear 2? Nope. Gotta rename that too. Might as well obscure the obvious, right? I mean, Asus users should all spend extra time to learn the Asus bios rebranding. Read Intel's info for your new cpu and chipset, and then enjoy your homework as you translate Asus speak into Intel speak.

Lith1um wrote:
Mine was just dumping 1.475 into it. This board's days are numbered. To be honest, I'd throw it right in the trash if I could buy DDR5 anywhere. Wouldn't inflict this mess on anyone, even an enemy.

Three generations of Hero, and several generations of Maximus, just set it and it works. This board, I spent half the day tweaking it and woke up the next day with it trying to overvolt my 12900k.

A lot of people kept saying to go with that plain jane, all black dd4 board with 3 letters that does everything right for just over 200usd, but I didn't listen. Oh well, I have the new socket 1700 EK water block coming. When it arrives, I think I'm ditching this Strix, and there's no way I'd ever purchase or recommend another. Without die sense voltage, I just don't see the point in marketing this as an overclocking board. Unless you just don't care if people play craps with their expensive Alder Lake.

And on your last point about the bios being clearer. I think Asus renames settings just to be unique, which is so bloody annoying. For example, 1T command rate? Nope. Asus calls it 1N, 2N, 3N, N:1. Why, Asus? Why?

Gear 1? Gear 2? Nope. Gotta rename that too. Might as well obscure the obvious, right? I mean, Asus users should all spend extra time to learn the Asus bios rebranding. Read Intel's info for your new cpu and chipset, and then enjoy your homework as you translate Asus speak into Intel speak.

Completely, Twice I set an adaptive voltage and placed 1.35 or so in total voltage and it pumped 1.5-1.52v through it, If this chip gets damaged anytime soon I'll be filing a claim at local court with Asus.