cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG STRIX Z690-I GAMING WiFi m.2 Problem

scryed
Level 9
Hi, maybe someone could help with this, totday i build my PC it uses 2 m.2 ssds and 2 sata ssds and the Problem is m.2_2

I have on this Port a pcie3.0x4 ssd installed pny cs3030 2tb but it only uses x2 with this its slower than it could be ......... The m.2_1 is a pcie4.0 x4 and this one works fine....... Sata ssd on the doughter Board are also installed
22 REPLIES 22

scryed
Level 9
I made Some picutes to Show the Problem i dont know if this is a missconfiguration on my side or maybe a bios Problem or because i use the doughter Board with ssds connected anyway the m. 2_2 Port should be able to use pcie4. 0 x4 and my installed m. 2 ssd is a pcie3.0 x4 wiith speeds r/w 3500/3000 but i only get arroud 1800/1800

Also the manual dont say anything about conflicting when installing normal ssds

Shamino
sounds like a connection issue
check all connections , heatsink attachments

scryed
Level 9
Hm it could bei possible but i tryed top be extra carefull because how the 2 m.2 ssds are placed / installed

luki12
Level 7
Hello. I have similar problem. I have 2 Crucial p5 plus 1 tb and 500gb. Port M2_1 1 tb connect direct to cpu and port M2_2 500 gb direct connect to pch. When I build the pc port M2_2 detect my 500 gb Crucial p5 plus at 1x speed, benchmarek max 1600mb, 1 tb drive port M2_1 its work ok, then i swap the drive, in the port M2_2 don't detect the drive, another swap, few restart detect the drive at x2 speed but benchmark is 500mb only. What do you mean its broken M2_2 sockets or mayby the bios uefi problem.

luki12 wrote:
Hello. I have similar problem. I have 2 Crucial p5 plus 1 tb and 500gb. Port M2_1 1 tb connect direct to cpu and port M2_2 500 gb direct connect to pch. When I build the pc port M2_2 detect my 500 gb Crucial p5 plus at 1x speed, benchmarek max 1600mb, 1 tb drive port M2_1 its work ok, then i swap the drive, in the port M2_2 don't detect the drive, another swap, few restart detect the drive at x2 speed but benchmark is 500mb only. What do you mean its broken M2_2 sockets or mayby the bios uefi problem.

Hi, I also suffered the same issue once, and then got it fixed by "just pushing down harder when installing the PCB card of the M.2_1 layer back to the motherboard".
As you may know, there are 2 screws on the PCB card of the M.2_1 layer, you shall not only tighten the 2 screws on the M.2_1 layer but also push down this layer to secure the M.2_1 layer to the motherboard (because there is also a interconnect plug underneath the M.2_1 layer). This trick was not written in the manual, and made my Gen4 SSD in x1 speed for over 2 weeks. Try this trick, you will have your SSD back to its original x4 speed!

luki12
Level 7
Thank you for the answer, today I tried again, I pushed everything very hard, unfortunately in this M2_2 slot it does not detect now any of my ssd 500 GB or 1 TB.

luki12 wrote:
Thank you for the answer, today I tried again, I pushed everything very hard, unfortunately in this M2_2 slot it does not detect now any of my ssd 500 GB or 1 TB.

Oops! Let me specify this in detail. The trick is pushing down the "top-right corner" of the the M.2_1 layer PCB card while tightening the 2 screws of it". Please refer to the illustration attached. The red circle is those 2 screws, and the red arrow is where you should push down harder, because there is a plug underneath here.
You may try it again to see if it works.

lobasun_ wrote:
Oops! Let me specify this in detail. The trick is pushing down the "top-right corner" of the the M.2_1 layer PCB card while tightening the 2 screws of it". Please refer to the illustration attached. The red circle is those 2 screws, and the red arrow is where you should push down harder, because there is a plug underneath here.
You may try it again to see if it works.

I found my M.2_2 was only running at PCIe Gen4 x2, too.
My solution is to both push the M.2_1 layer and the top PFC connector on the right of M.2_1 very hard. I found my PFC connector can be a little bit loose but not rocking at all. Push the top PFC connector square on and I can feel a slight movement to squeeze metal pins closer.

luki12
Level 7
In Z690 are 3 connectors, M2_2 Layer PCB connected directly to motherboard, mayby ​​speakers connected (speakers work), M2_2 layer PCB directly connect to M2_1 Layer PCB (mayby ​​signals m2 drive) and M2_1 layer PCB directly connect cable to motherboard (m2_1 and M2_2 layer signals to Cpu and PCH?) All this 3 connected are relly push hard, nothing is sticking out of any plug, everything is perfectly pressed and maximum strenght, and I think that if you had to be so careful with this connected, there would be a lot of topics about a non-working disk on this motherboard.