cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Z690 Apex -2 * M.2 NVMe Drives = PCI-E Lanes Query

rjbarker
Level 11
Apologies guys if this has already been answered or if its in the Manual (I just downloaded it but not sure if it will clearly answer my question).

I just ordered the Asus Maximus Z690 Apex Board, my question:
- Can I install my 2 M.2 NVMe Drives in the slots provided on the Motherboard (not the DIMM2) and still have x16 running on the top PCI-E GPU Slot?

Thanks in advance.......I'm pretty sure I can without borking my PCI-E_1 (GPU - 3080Ti) slot to x8, but looking for confirmation.

Cheers
6 REPLIES 6

rjbarker
Level 11
Bumping this thread as no replies....and I know the knowledge base is here 😉 ...Someone knows..

Can I populate M.2_1 and M.2_2 on my Apex z690 Board and maintain x16 in my PCI-E _1 (top GPU) slot ?

Thanks in advance!

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

M.2_1 will utilise CPU lanes - GPU will operate at 8X

M.2_2 will utilize chipset lanes - GPU will operate at 16X

Both slots are GEN 4.0

Hope this helps
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

M.2_1 will utilise CPU lanes - GPU will operate at 8X

M.2_2 will utilize chipset lanes - GPU will operate at 16X

Both slots are GEN 4.0

Hope this helps

Helps immensely and thanks for getting back to me so quickly....very much appreciated!

So I guess I read things or interpreted the lane dispertion incorrectly, but I think I read that last night or figured it out looking in the manual....so is there any way on my Z690 Apex Board to utilize 2 x M.2 NVMe drives while maintaining x16 for my 3080Ti in top slot PCI-E _1 ?

Perhaps in the DIMM Slot (next to the RAM) ?

As Scotty said: "We need more Lanes Captain..the dilithium crystal cant take much more" 😉

Thanks again

rjbarker wrote:
Helps immensely and thanks for getting back to me so quickly....very much appreciated!

So I guess I read things or interpreted the lane dispertion incorrectly, but I think I read that last night or figured it out looking in the manual....so is there any way on my Z690 Apex Board to utilize 2 x M.2 NVMe drives while maintaining x16 for my 3080Ti in top slot PCI-E _1 ?

Perhaps in the DIMM Slot (next to the RAM) ?

Thanks again

I think Silent Scone@Rog is confusing the Z690 Extreme with the Z690 Apex.
With the Apex you can populate M.2_1 and M.2_2 and still run PCIEX16_1 at 16x speed.
The only reason PCIEX16_1 would run at 8x speed is if you populate the PCIEX16_2 slot.

I own a Z690 Apex, have 2x Samsung 980 Pros in M.2_1 and M.2_2, and my 3090FE runs at 16x in the PCIEX16_1 slot.

darth_meh wrote:
I think Silent Scone@Rog is confusing the Z690 Extreme with the Z690 Apex.
With the Apex you can populate M.2_1 and M.2_2 and still run PCIEX16_1 at 16x speed.
The only reason PCIEX16_1 would run at 8x speed is if you populate the PCIEX16_2 slot.

I own a Z690 Apex, have 2x Samsung 980 Pros in M.2_1 and M.2_2, and my 3090FE runs at 16x in the PCIEX16_1 slot.

Thanks a ton ...thats the exact info I had initially thought when I purchased the Board and I want to populate exactly as you have yours, only I have the 3080Ti FTW3 vs the 3090 FE......

Why does it have to be so confusing...even in the manual....even googling it for days and couldnt find a definitive answer.....so how many PCI-E Lanes total ? How many total from CPU and total from PCH ? Googling that you would think the info would jump out immediately!

Thats why I used to go with Rampage Boards with multi GPU's....all those Lanes.

Cheers

Adrian1983
Level 11
I have the Strix Gaming A and have all 4 M2 slots populated including 2 980 Pro's and 2 970 Evo Plus and my GPU is still running at x16 I am not sure what misinformation is being circulated here, Why would a GPU drop to x8 when we have so called PCIEx5 Bandwidth available, Either way I have just checked mine with GPUz and Hwinfo and both are reporting x16 for my 3080, I cannot imagine a more expensive board being any different.