cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Type-C module

tocguy
Level 9
So the ROG Hero Z690 is an interesting mobo. As I read thru its manual I see it has the subject USB header for connection to a front panel connector. Has anyone found a source for obtaining such module? The manual states "The USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Type-C® module is purchased separately." and AFAICT Asus doesn't supply it. The usual parts locations Newark, Newegg, Digikey, Amazon(barf), don't explicitly cover it either. Is this thing so new that it is still vaporware? I'm aware of the fun the USB group had with shuffling the USB 3.0/3.1/3.2 deck so that it became challenging to understand their naming shenanigans but in time this too will pass. But, we're here in the present and I'm trying to figure out how to connect this USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Type-C connector to an appropriate front panel Type-C connector. This USB3.2 Gen2x2 is the only one that'll support 20Gbs.

Oh, and neither the manual nor the mobo page define whether this mobo connector is an A-key or a B-key orientation so hopefully Asus can address that omission here for everyone's benefit.

Wiki link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0#USB_3.2
7 REPLIES 7

Shark007
Level 10
search for - type e to type c
type e is the type of connector on the motherboard
this is what my z590 uses. I'm sure the 690 uses the same motherboard port.

Falkentyne
Level 12
tocguy wrote:
So the ROG Hero Z690 is an interesting mobo. As I read thru its manual I see it has the subject USB header for connection to a front panel connector. Has anyone found a source for obtaining such module? The manual states "The USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Type-C® module is purchased separately." and AFAICT Asus doesn't supply it. The usual parts locations Newark, Newegg, Digikey, Amazon(barf), don't explicitly cover it either. Is this thing so new that it is still vaporware? I'm aware of the fun the USB group had with shuffling the USB 3.0/3.1/3.2 deck so that it became challenging to understand their naming shenanigans but in time this too will pass. But, we're here in the present and I'm trying to figure out how to connect this USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Type-C connector to an appropriate front panel Type-C connector. This USB3.2 Gen2x2 is the only one that'll support 20Gbs.

Oh, and neither the manual nor the mobo page define whether this mobo connector is an A-key or a B-key orientation so hopefully Asus can address that omission here for everyone's benefit.

Wiki link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0#USB_3.2

Most decent cases made within the last several years has this connector on the front panel and come with the connector. If you don't have a type C port on your case you must have a very old case. Obviously only the very newest cases will have a "Gen 2x2" version of this connector.

If it's Gen 2x2, it will be used natively.
If it's a Gen 2 (original type C front connector), it will fall back into Gen 2 mode.

Falkentyne wrote:
Most decent cases made within the last several years has this connector on the front panel and come with the connector. If you don't have a type C port on your case you must have a very old case. Obviously only the very newest cases will have a "Gen 2x2" version of this connector.

If it's Gen 2x2, it will be used natively.
If it's a Gen 2 (original type C front connector), it will fall back into Gen 2 mode.

Not a Flame....

Most decent cases? - Some of us are obviously Worlds apart....

I guess in your words, that makes me a dinosaur with a Tenjim TJ11 & no upgrade option available from them.

It would be nice if Asus supplied the front panel module to accompany their £940 Maximus Z690 Extreme. - I remember them doing that with my Asus P8Z77-V Premium 4 Way SLI mobo & right now, can't even run my 2 x 1080 Ti's in SLI on this state of the art Dual-VGA capable board.

Makes it a Proper disgrace when Asus don't actually make the module their defacto manual print statement suggests, let alone a Bios that allows SLI & NVLink to function as suggested. - Whatever happened to trading standards??

Kin Hell wrote:
Not a Flame....

Most decent cases? - Some of us are obviously Worlds apart....

I guess in your words, that makes me a dinosaur with a Tenjim TJ11 & no upgrade option available from them.

It would be nice if Asus supplied the front panel module to accompany their £940 Maximus Z690 Extreme. - I remember them doing that with my Asus P8Z77-V Premium 4 Way SLI mobo & right now, can't even run my 2 x 1080 Ti's in SLI on this state of the art Dual-VGA capable board.

Makes it a Proper disgrace when Asus don't actually make the module their defacto manual print statement suggests, let alone a Bios that allows SLI & NVLink to function as suggested. - Whatever happened to trading standards??

I think you should read my post again instead of choosing to read the words you want to acknowledge.
Your case came out in 2011.

USB type C wasn't even a thing in 2011. How are you supposed to have one on a 2011 year case?
That's like complaining that a $300 Lian-Li case from 2005 doesn't have USB 3.0 connectors on the front...

If you have an open 5.25 external bay you can buy an EZDIY G2 hub from Amazon and probably others. This snapped right in on my TUF Gaming Z690 Plus board and works well. My Antec case is 21 years old LoL.

tocguy
Level 9
I'm rather fond of my Corsair 540 cube and for now am exploring the necessary upgrades it would require to modernize its utility, vis-a-vis the Gen2x2 port.

During the interim I've learned that the A-Key is suitable for connecting a single Type-C or single Type-A. Alternately, the B-key is suitable for connecting up to 2 standard Type-A ports. Info about the keying of these connectors can be found on USB.org document USB 3.1 FRONT-PANEL INTERNAL CABLE AND CONNECTOR. Specifically, section 2 Mating Interfaces and Mechanical Requirements.

This explains why the items I have found tend to be most all A-keyed such as those from Linkup.one.

Thx for the feedback.

Brigman
Level 9
Akasa do a rear panel bracket that includes a pair of USB 3.1 Type A plus a USB3.2 Type C that will get you going. As has been said if your case doesn't natively support Type C then you'll have to be a bit creative about where you install it, but it's a simple DIY job to unscrew the header from the rear panel bracket and fit it elsewhere.