Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    New ROGer Array

wow

The 1.25v suggestion was a good one (and I tried it) but unfortunately it didn't work.

I'm going to have to try channel B with the ram sticks. That's quite interesting and would be surprising to see work! If so, I wonder what the underlying issue would be (why would that happen).

Defective board?

Perhaps the other channel is acting differently in some way?

Thanks for sharing!

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ROG's Avatar

If people are using Channel B1 and B2 for 2x DIMM configuration then you're only using a 64 bit wide channel (dual and not quad), which is easier on the IMC and memory.

Use A2 and B2 as per the manual.
    Last edited by Silent Scone@ROG; 01-18-2022 at 06:55 PM.

New ROGer Array

It worked!

It worked! Switching the ram from A1/B1 to the A2/B2 channel fixed everything.

In A1/B1, I couldn't boot past 4400mhz (and even then, it crashed so I was running it at 4000mhz).

When in A2/B2, I was able to boot at 4800mhz with XMP2. From there, I figured I try 5200mhz and that worked too! So today I just went from 4000mhz -> 5200mhz by switching the slots.

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ROG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaybee123 View Post

In A1/B1, I couldn't boot past 4400mhz (and even then, it crashed so I was running it at 4000mhz).

When in A2/B2, I was able to boot at 4800mhz with XMP2. From there, I figured I try 5200mhz and that worked too! So today I just went from 4000mhz -> 5200mhz by switching the slots.

Lesson here, read the manual if unsure

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by kaybee123 View Post

Well I'm using the ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming Wifi mobo and I have all 4 DIMM slots populated. If I use XMP1 or XMP2, half the time it won't post, the other half of the time it posts then BSODs. The RAM i'm using is Kingston FURY Beast 5200Mhz (PC5-41600) and i'm using identical 4x16GB DIMMS

CPU-Z tells me the JEDEC value for the RAM is 4800Mhz but the Z690-E clocks it down to 4000Mhz by default (when left on auto). I can clock it up to 4400Mhz manually and the system runs fine without any issues. But if i try to run the RAM at 4800Mhz JEDEC value, I get BSOD's after a few minutes. If i try to run it at 5200Mhz sometimes the board won't post at all, sometimes it posts then immediately BSOD's.

I'm using 4 of these sticks: https://www.kingstonmemoryshop.co.uk...z-non-ecc-dimm

I know they're single sticks but they're identicle. They should at least work at 4800MHz JEDEC value.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Oof. That doesn't sound good. I moved away from an x570 system in order to get away from memory issues when running all 4 dimms. I've only been able to to get 2x16gb sticks so far and I need to get 2 more. It seems like I'm going to run into the same issues as the amd platform

ROG Member Array

Tactical Donut

Interesting I have the same Corsair 5600 c36 ram on an Apex board (only 2 RAM slots) - both XMP 1 and II both randomly BSOD on anything other than 4800mhz or below. Suspect it is BIOS related but still frustrating and not fixed by latest BIOS.

ROG Junior Member Array

I ran into this issue and thanks to this thread, moved my Corsair 5600MHz RAM to slots A2B2 and XMP II held and is performing as sold in my z690 Hero Mobo. Corsair have suggested that this may have something to do with power to slots but I guess only ASUS can ultimately comment on why A1B1 could post on anything other than AUTO?

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by tawzzer View Post
    It would be interesting to know why they only work in channel B. It recommends in the guide you get with the motherboard to use channel A, not too sure if that actually makes much difference. Hopefully there'll be another BIOS that addresses this.
    Many Strix Z690-F owner have the same problem. It's still unknown what is the reason. In my case, I initially thought the RAM is to blame. After getting a new 2 x 16 GB kit, the same situation: Only the B channels were working. Then the vendor changed the board. At the replaced board, A and B channels were working. I doubt this is a BIOS matter. The issue is known since November 2021, and we got already several BIOS updates since then. I fear it is an issue related to the circuitry of some Z690 Strix boards.
    Last edited by Chainbold; 01-21-2022 at 01:04 AM.

ROG Junior Member Array

My RAM supplier suggested it might be a power issue but as they aren't the vendor for the Mobo, I am taking that with a piece of salt. It does suggest I wont be easily able to run 4 sticks anytime soon. Even the RAM supplier has suggest only 2 sticks are recommended since you cannot get packs of 4 that are matched.
    I am still relieved that I am reaching 2x16 5600MHz with non QVL approved RAM.
    Last edited by utopiamusic; 01-23-2022 at 10:08 PM. Reason: error

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast