cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690-A Wi-Fi D4 - keyboard not detected on boot

imacken
Level 8
On boot (and Windows restart), I get a ‘keyboard not detected’ error on BIOS screen. Boot continues to Windows and everything OK. But, I couldn’t access BIOS settings.*
After a lot of messing around, I discovered that if I disconnect my powered USB hub, then the message goes away and I can access BIOS.
Anyone got an idea on how to resolve this?
(Latest BIOS from ASUS site)*
18 REPLIES 18

Erwin05
Level 10
You have the keyboard and mouse connected to the USB hub?

You can find many problems on the internet with USB hubs connected to a pc.

https://www.quora.com/How-can-a-keyboard-or-mouse-not-working-through-a-USB-hub-on-Windows-10-be-fix...

imacken
Level 8
Thanks but, no the keyboard and mouse are not connected to the hub.

Erwin05
Level 10
What brand is the Hub?

I think that the only thing you can do is to unplug your hub from the pc.

Does the hub has a power cable then u have to turn the hub on after the boot in windows.

imacken
Level 8
Thanks but I'm pretty sure it's a motherboard issue in the way it is handling USB. The hub didn't cause any issue on my Z590 or Z490 boards.

Interestingly, I was trying a few things out, and with the keyboard plugged into a 3.2 Gen 2 (red) port, it works, but then the mouse has also to be connected to a red port, otherwise it doesn't work.

So, in summary, the keyboard error (when the hub is plugged in) occurs when it is plugged into a 3.2 Gen 1 (blue) port or the old USB 2.0 ones, but is all OK in a 3.2 Gen 2 socket.

imacken wrote:
Thanks but I'm pretty sure it's a motherboard issue in the way it is handling USB. The hub didn't cause any issue on my Z590 or Z490 boards.

Interestingly, I was trying a few things out, and with the keyboard plugged into a 3.2 Gen 2 (red) port, it works, but then the mouse has also to be connected to a red port, otherwise it doesn't work.

So, in summary, the keyboard error (when the hub is plugged in) occurs when it is plugged into a 3.2 Gen 1 (blue) port or the old USB 2.0 ones, but is all OK in a 3.2 Gen 2 socket.

My mouse is available to use all the time but my keyboard is only available in BIOS and then... 3-15 seconds after Windows start. I have to wait few seconds until I can start typing my password.

There is definitely something wonky with the way motherboard handles USB and stuff. I also get Error 10 on Intel ethernet network adapter sometimes and have to power off completely then boot again...

Raad11
Level 7
Weird, seems similar to my VGA bug. I wonder if it's BIOS issues.

EAC
Level 7
The keyboard/hub issue is likely because the blue USB 3.0 (3.2 Gen 1) ports are supplied from an ASM1074 hub (via 1 port from the Z690 PCH). Hubs plugged into hubs can cause issues, particularly ASMedia ones. The USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports are native from the Z690 PCH.

imacken
Level 8
Thanks, but not sure about that.

I tried putting the hub into a Gen 2 port with the keyboard in a Gen 1. No joy. Still the 'keyboard not detected' issue.

I have also experimented further, and it is not the hub that is the issue, it is particular devices (by Virpil) that are. I have 3 Virpil devices amongst the devices connected to the hub, and if more than one of these is connected, the issue arises. However, if only one (or none) are then the issue goes away.

So, I am still in the position that I have to have the keyboard/mouse receiver plugged into a red port for everything to work OK.

This is a Z690 board issue, Did not have this with same devices in my previous Z490 and Z590 boards.

Overmann
Level 7
I am using this same motherboard and have the same issue with my USB keyboard not getting detected at boot. I have to unplug and replug the keyboard. Warm reboots work fine but shutting down and cold booting results in a keyboard not detected error again.
I am plugging the keyboard into the back USB ports. I've tried all of them at this point and the problem is the same. No hub or other fancyness here.
The keyboard is a Das Keyboard 4 pro.