cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can only go into BIOS using iGPU? VGA light on (ROG Strix Z690-A D4)

Raad11
Level 7
So the BIOS and pre-Windows everything does not appear when the monitor is plugged into my video card. The white VGA light shines. But it comes to life with Windows and works fine after that, though the VGA light on the motherboard stays on.

I have to plug the monitor into the onboard video to see BIOS prompt and use the BIOS.

I updated to 0605 and still the same thing.

Any idea what gives?
8 REPLIES 8

Raad11
Level 7
For what it's worth, GPU works normally in Windows. Even benchmarked it. Hwinfo, device manager, etc indicate nothing out of order.

xeromist
DisplayPort? If you have an HDMI display I'd give that a try to see if any of the ports work.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

I have had this identical issue with 2 different GPU's on a z590 board
One was an amd XFX 580 and the other was an nvidia ASUS 1060
The solution was to update the firmware of the GPU.

I've the same issue with 3080-ti and z690-a motherboard. Vga light is on and can't get any display. I'm using kf edition, so no igpu, what should I do?

Edit: Fixed it by booting with an old 780 ti card, updating bios to latest, and rebooting with 3080ti back.

dyanikoglu wrote:
I've the same issue with 3080-ti and z690-a motherboard. Vga light is on and can't get any display. I'm using kf edition, so no igpu, what should I do?

Edit: Fixed it by booting with an old 780 ti card, updating bios to latest, and rebooting with 3080ti back.
Glad that did the trick for you. Which BIOS did you use?

Mine still will only output boot/POST/BIOS screens to onboard video and discrete GPU doesn't show anything until Windows. VGA white light stays on.

Raad11 wrote:
Glad that did the trick for you. Which BIOS did you use?

Mine still will only output boot/POST/BIOS screens to onboard video and discrete GPU doesn't show anything until Windows. VGA white light stays on.

v 0707 shared on third post here https://www.overclock.net/threads/official-asus-strix-maximus-z690-owners-thread.1794802/

dyanikoglu wrote:
v 0707 shared on third post here https://www.overclock.net/threads/official-asus-strix-maximus-z690-owners-thread.1794802/

Are these BIOSes from Asus? Why are they posted on that other forum and not the official site?

I fixed my issue by flashing new GPU firmware and VBIOS to my card. I'm still on 0605 BIOS from Asus.com. Is there a list of changes/improvements in the new version?

Raad11 wrote:
Are these BIOSes from Asus? Why are they posted on that other forum and not the official site?

I fixed my issue by flashing new GPU firmware and VBIOS to my card. I'm still on 0605 BIOS from Asus.com. Is there a list of changes/improvements in the new version?

I wondered that myself, My Strix Z690 Gaming A only goes up to 0605 on Asus's website but I am sure I have seen 07xx maybe it's BETA I am not sure.