Threaded View

New ROGer Array Wingclip PC Specs
    Wingclip PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Z490 Maximus XII Formula LGA 1200
    ProcessorIntel i7–10700K (OC’d 5.2 GHz)
    Memory (part number)T-Force XTreem 3600MHz, 32GB (2 x 16 gb)
    Graphics Card #1EVGA RTX-2070 Super
    Sound CardOn-board Realtek 5.1 system
    MonitorModel 328E1, 4K, 3840 x 2160 x 60Hz
    Storage #1[5] internal SSD’s (500GB each)
    Storage #2[[1] external Seagate MomentusX, 1TB SSHD
    CPU CoolerEKWB EK-XTOP DDC 3.2 PWM Elite pump
    CaseCorsair 780T case, (white)
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1300G2 1300W PSU
    Keyboard Logitech G910
    Mouse Logitech G602
    Mouse Pad Corsair Steel Series
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z906 5.1 system
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Network RouterXfinity 1000
    Accessory #1 Dual reservoir for a total 900 mL cooling system
    Accessory #2 [2] Full copper Swiftech Radiators: 240 mm (Top-side) and 120 mm (Front) all push/pull fan config
    Accessory #3 4] Corsair LL120 RGB fans and [4] Corsair RGB strips (iCUE)

Why is external NVMe M.2 so slow in Type-C I/O connector?

Hi folks,
    I have the ROG Maximus XII Formula board, (specs in sig), and I recently bought a 1TB Crucial M.2 x 2 P5 Plus drive.
    My trouble right now is that the NVMe drive, (which is installed in a M.2 enclosure), run’s over 90% SLOWER when connected to the Type-C port in the mobo’s I/O panel, as compared to speeds when the drive is connected to a USB 3.0 port in the front of the case!

The NVMe enclosure has a Type-C connector and is specifically designed for NVMe M.2 drives only, (no NVMe SSDs). When I connect a Type-C to USB 3.0 cable from the NVMe enclosure to one of my USB 3.0 or 3.1 connectors in the front of the case, the Crystal Disk Mark test consistently shows it to run a little faster than an SSD, that’s fine and what I expect.

However, if I attach a Type-C to Type-C cable from the NVMe’s enclosure and run it to the Type-C port in the Maximus XII Formula’s I/O panel, the speeds on the drive drop more than 90%! The screenshots below, show this.

1TB NVMe M.2 x 2 Crucial P5 Plus externally connected to a USB 3.0 connector:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CrystalDiskMark_Cnnctd to USB 3.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	90582

1TB NVMe M.2 x 2 Crucial P5 Plus externally connected to I/O Panel’s Type-C connector:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CrystalDiskMark_Cnnctd to TypeC.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	90583

The ASUS UEFI settings regarding NVMe drives are set to enable that type of drive to run where ever I can find a reference. It’s possible that I’m overlooking (or am unaware of) what other settings should be enabled/disabled in some categories.

Does anyone recognize the M.2’s speed differences and behavior as a symptom that I haven’t got something specifically set correctly? I thought the Type-C port in the mobo’s I/O panel was supposed to deliver speeds faster than USB 3.1 or 3.2, no?

Just an FYI:
    The M.2 drive is only in an external enclosure temporarily. I plan to move my O/S to that drive. In fact, last week, I even installed the M.2 drive to the M.2_2 slot of the mobo and cloned the O/S to it.

However, I had to remove the drive from the mobo because I couldn't boot to the O/S. I used EaseUS payware to do the clone but I think I should have used a different program.

EaseUS’s instructions are not very good, (they seem to have a syntax problem), and it gets confusing. But that’s a different story, which I hope I can resolve w/o much work.