cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS 3501 hangs during POST after RESTART on ROG Strix X299XE Gaming

FaaR
Level 7
Cold boots work fine, it's on reboot the trouble starts. PC restarts, POST begins; you hit the point where the speaker beeps, then monitor comes on (black screen, but it turns on to show a black screen, which is...awesome), then it stops with a GREEN diagnostic LED glowing on the mobo, and never proceeds from there. Hitting ATX power button or reset re-produces the exact same issue; you have to cycle POWER_GOOD signal from PSU (IE, hit the physical power switch) in order to boot the system. And then Windows or other software may complain, because it detects you BOOTED the system instead of RE-BOOTED it, so certain patches or services and so on may not install/run properly. Which is really annoying, because isn't a boot a boot, yeah? No, we gotta complicate things for no reason! *le sigh*

This never happened on previous BIOS builds; I checked the Q-code of when it stops a couple times and I saw at least two different codes, even though the BIOS always appears to hang at the same point every restart.

Also, the X299-XE Gaming board is very difficult to find on the ASUS Support website; if you search for the board and type in "rog strix x299", all that shows up is the X299-E Gaming and Gaming II boards; not the X299-XE board. And if you manually select the X299-XE board from the manual option you hit a "Page not found" error page.

So you might want to fix your website... 😄 Because the X299-E BIOS does not work on the XE board, despite the only apparent difference between the two is a bigger heatsink on the main VRMs. So I need to be able to find new BIOSes, if any are ever made available; this one's from back in august, ugh. So months of this hanging nonsense!
1 REPLY 1

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

Can you confirm if this issue occurs when the UEFI is at complete default settings? This includes no XMP or overclocking of any kind. Rule 101 of diagnostics is to remove any culprit of instability.

What Q-Codes does it stop on?
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090