cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Windows 7 boot up time RAID 0 SSDs??

MO7TAL1TY
Level 7
My Specs

Intel 3930k OC 4.6ghz
16gb Corsair Vengance 2133mhz quad channel RAM
Asus Rampage IV Extreme x79 Motherboard
2x Corsair Force 3 120Gb SSDs (In RAID 0 128kb stripe)
1000w Coolermaster Slient Pro PSU
Coolermaster HAF X Case
4x Seagate 3Tb Storage drives (2 RAID 1 arrays)

My problem is once the Windows boot up logo appears it takes around 30ish maybe a little more seconds to load up the login screen and thn logs in super fast as it should and performance seems pretty good.

Ive ran Crystaldiskmark to see what speed they are running at and Im getting around 980mb/s Seq read and 860mb/s Seq write which is much faster than i used to get on a single SSD.

I currently have the Bios set to RAID mode and have done a fresh install of Windows 7 64bit and all the latest drivers installed.

Any help will be greatly appreciated thanks
6 REPLIES 6

HiVizMan
Level 40
Do you have any USB devices connected - besides the Keyboard and mouse?

Also if you are using the Asmedia ports they take forever to detect, disabling will speed up the boot process.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Well ive tried unpluging everything mouse and keyboard aswell but was just the same... I havent tried disabling the ASMedia Usb ports though so ill try that later on thanks

HiVizMan
Level 40
OK let me know how it goes.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Ive disabled the ASmedia usb controller and boot time is down to about 20 secs which is better then before...

On my old AMD phenom rig it takes about 6 or 7 secs to boot even the windows animation doesn't have time to finish and that is a single Corsair force 3 SSD on a sata 2 port

Is it jsut windows 7 isn't optimized for Raid 0 SSD setups? or have i missed something out whilst installing windows and all the drivers etc or a bios setting needs changing?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Nope you have not missed anything, you can speed up the post time by disabling those bits and bobs you are not using via the BIOS but at the end of the day you have done what you needed to do.

RAID 0 wouldn't really help you boot up faster. Booting up windows is mostly random reads and a small amount of writes; RAID 0 does not help your random reads even though sequential numbers go up by a lot.