cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming Wifi: No post with four DIMMs installed

Cornflex
Level 7
Hi guys,

I want to use four DIMMs of ADATA 4800 (AD5U480016G-B on QVL) with 16GB each (64GB total) in a ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming Wifi mainboard.
As long as I run with only two DIMMs everything is fine and the PC boots up. But with four DIMMS I always get code 55 (ram not installed) and the PC refuses to post. I tried combinations with all DIMMs and as long as I stick with two everything works as intended.
Already flashed the BIOS to 0802 and restored to safe settings. No success, can't get 4 DIMMs to work (stock speeds (40-40-40-77-117-2T)).

Any suggestions?

Regards
Joerg
11 REPLIES 11

yapchagi
Level 7
probably because the XMP profile was only intended for 2 DIMMs?

jared_hart
Level 7
I'm having similar issue using Z690-E and 4x Crucial sticks. Can not get the unit to post using recommended memory order or using 4 modules.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

Try the following:

VDD 1.2v

VDDQ 1.2v

TXVDDQ 1.2v

MC VDD 1.2v-1.25v

System Agent (SA) 1.35v

You're mixing modules and they're not validated to run in tandem with other kits.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

Try the following:

VDD 1.2v

VDDQ 1.2v

TXVDDQ 1.2v

MC VDD 1.2v-1.25v

System Agent (SA) 1.35v

You're mixing modules and they're not validated to run in tandem with other kits.

No sir, I am not mixing modules. All four DIMMs are the same ADATA 4800 (AD5U480016G-B) with 16GB each which are on QVL.

I'm also having trouble with my ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming Wifi motherboard. Similar problem to the OP. I'm using 4 sticks of Kingston FURY Beast 16GB (5200Mhz). I can get the board to post with all 4 modules installed but if I turn on XMP1 or XMP2, Windows 11 crashes whenever I try to run 3DMark or a game. The JEDEC value for the RAM is rated at 4800mhz but for some reason the motherboard underclocks them to 4000mhz instead. I can raise the settings to 4400MHz manually and that runs fine. But as soon as I try to do 4800Mhz or 5200Mhz, the PC either won't boot at all or boots up then suffers a BSOD.

Cornflex wrote:
No sir, I am not mixing modules. All four DIMMs are the same ADATA 4800 (AD5U480016G-B) with 16GB each which are on QVL.

But not together, right?

Memory sold as a kit is binned in the density they are sold in. As soon as you combine them, you eat into the guardband put in place by the memory vendor designed to ensure the modules are stable at a given frequency. Hence 4 modules combined is unstable at POST.

The fact they are the same product SKU is a misconception and even memory vendors themselves will advise you not to combine kits.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Cornflex wrote:

As Silent Scone said, even if its 2 packages of the same brand and model. They are sold as matched pairs just the two in each packages. There is no guarantee they will run well together with another matched pair, even if they are same brand and model.

I did this gamble my self tho with 4 DIMMs(2x2matched) of Corsair Vengeance 5200. I consider my self lucky tho. it runs just fine on default posting and can do whatever. And it runs pretty stable in XMP 1. I was glitchy and bluescreeny at original BIOS 0502, but after 0702 update I only get some random crash once every 3 days or so with XMP 1 and 4 DIMMs. I dunno if I should expect it to improve even more tho but one can always hope.

My only recommendation to you is to try the in a different order.
Do you remember how you inserted the pairs? perhaps you put them in one pair at A1 A2 and other pair at B1 B2?
That would be asking for it to be as unstable as possible, you should try swapping the two middle DIMMs to make sure each pair is at A1 B1 and A2 B2 if this is the case.(1 pair at channel 1 and one pair at channel 2) that is how I installed my pairs and its what the manual recommends, just like if you only install one pair manual recommends to put it at A2 and B2, not A1 and A2.
I hope I thought the right way here at least. 🙂

Hope you solve it.

I know its a gambel with 4 DIMMs even tho manual mentions no issues, it just says add 4 DIMMs if you are gonna use 4 DIMMs. 🙂
But I was dead set on having 64GB RAM on my new system and there was no larger than 16GB DIMMs available yet, and thats kind of a disappointment considering I hear DDR5 was gonna support much higher capacity on the DIMMs.
If I never get it 100% stable with time I might be able to change to two matched 32GB DIMMs later.

jared_hart
Level 7
I'm on the Z690-E on BIOS 802 with crucial 4x4GB from the QVL. I can't get a post while doing any configuration of DIMM modules in a double channel configuration (A2/B2, A1/B1, A1/A2/B1/B2).
I have used a combination of settings of just default, default + silent's changes above, xmp1, xmp2, combination of xmp1+2+changes above) with not a single post.
Q-Codes will go through different variations on attempting post but it never hangs a code, just continues to reboot and starts at 00.

jared.hart wrote:
I'm on the Z690-E on BIOS 802 with crucial 4x4GB from the QVL. I can't get a post while doing any configuration of DIMM modules in a double channel configuration (A2/B2, A1/B1, A1/A2/B1/B2).

I have the same problem with the Z690-F.

However, the combination does not matter in regard of dual channel capability. Even a single DDR5 module is already running in dual channel mode. Unlike DDR3/4, a single DDR5 module comes already with 2 channels.