cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motherboard Crosshair VII Hero doesnt turn on

kiriup
Level 7
Hi

I have a crosshair vii hero with a ryzen 2700x, 5700xt gpu, 4x8gb gskill ram and 2x nvme ssds and i am running a fresh win10 (installed a week ago). Today all of a sudden i cant get my pc to turn on! I dont mean that it doesnt boot, i mean its like it doesnt have power and i tested it with 2 PSUs that both work OK on a different pc.

A bit of history on the problem: I have this rig for over 3 years now so its not new but it was working great until today without any warning signs of a problem.
Today i was playing a game when suddenly the pc crashed. This is rare but it does happen to me from time to time.
I rebooted and i realized that windows suddenly doesnt recognize my second nvme disk (the one that had the game i was playing on). This is a new disk i installed 3 days ago. So i shut down my pc normally and i remove and reinstall the nvme. After that the pc never turned back on again!

I tried everything i can think of. I removed the motherboard from my case, removed everything from it including both nvme disks and left only the cpu and 1 ram stick and it still wont start.
When i hook it up to the PSU the "start" button led on the mobo turns on as usual and so does the reset bios led on the IO panel at the back but when i push the button nothing happens, the PSU doesnt turn on and neither does the mobo.

At this point I am pretty sure the mobo is "fried" even though it had no reason to. I did inspect it thoroughly and it has no signs of physical damage or burnt components.
Has anyone else has had this problem or or does anybody have any ideas on what else i should try?!
3 REPLIES 3

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi kiriup,
If you don't have other compatible CPU and RAM or you have also tried other CPU and RAM but it still doesn't turn on, please send RMA for further examination.
Thank you.

Hi STARRAIN@ROG thank you for the reply!
I did try a few combinations with different cpu and with different ram. Specifically i have a ryzen 2700x, a ryzen 3300x and for ram i i have F4-3200C16D-16GTZB, F4-3200C15D-16GTZ and F4-3200C16D-16GVKB. All these parts work on a different mobo.

Something that i noticed since my first post is that (regardless which ram i use) with the 3300x the motherboard does power up sometimes but with q code 8 and the cpu fan doesnt spin but the cooler is cold to the touch, its like the cpu is not getting power. With my original cpu (2700x) it still cant even power up.

As for RMA it was my understanding that the warranty for my mobo is 36 months and i have mine for 42 months now! I didnt think i am eligible for an RMA, im i wrong? Since you suggested it though i did give the process a try but both ASUS UK and ASUS Greece tell me "Wrong serial number." or "We apologize. Your product can't be checked." when i enter my mobo serial on the page. I bought it online from overclockers.co.uk but i dont live in the UK.

I dont want to waste your time, i already ordered an ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E as a replacement BUT if you believe that there is still something that can be done like more troubleshooting steps on my side or an RMA process then i am willing to try it!

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi kiriup,
May I have the serial number of the motherboard via PM?
Thank you.