cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix z690A Gaming WiFi WHEa 17 Errors

Grendel602
Level 7
Swapped my fully functioning 3090RTX, 9900K, Z390 Gigabyte Designare setup for a brand new Z690 and 12900K rig.

After swapping all components over to the Gaming Wifi MOBO and 12900k combo, install WIN 11 and I get thousands of WHEA errors for ven_8086&dev_ 460d&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_02

I also get random hangup, BSODS, and straight crashes.

I'm a day of frustration away from RMA. I swapped back to old system and all works perfectly with 9900k and Z390 mobo, so the only possible hardware issue is the mobo or CPU....I guessing this is a mobo hardware component issue.

PCI ID Repository suggests it is a 12th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x16 Controller #1.

Device manager showed no issues with any hardware.
333 REPLIES 333

Grendel602
Level 7
Looks like I share an issue with another ROG owner.

Seems the top PCIE slot hasa conflict of some kind with alder lake or the slot is busted.

Alright ASUS why does the top PCIE x16 not work but the bottom one does? We are both running asus RTX cards.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUSROG/comments/r35jsw/comment/hm8xt5n/?$deep_link=true&correlation_id=8cc...

rolloff
Level 7
I have exactly the same error with 12900k, z690 apex and EVGA 3090. Even at Stock.

What helped me reducing them is to set PCH PCI Express ASPM to disabled. Bit i still getting errors, it just reduced them.
I invest some more Hours to find a solution or i rma this ****.

Must be a BIOS coding issue if only happening on Z690. Or chipset driver.

Looks like this is widespread regardless of riser cable or not.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gigabyte/comments/r0wa1o/z690i_aorus_ultra_ddr4_pcie_whea_errors/

Everyone with this error should submit a trouble ticket with ASUS, NVIDIA and INTEL. Otherwise don't plan on getting a fix anytime soon.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi rolloff,
Do you have random hangup, BSOD, and straight crash issues when get the WHEA 17 errors?
If you use bios 0702 and restore bios to all default settings, does the WHEA 17 errors also appear?
May I have the following information?
- the serial number of the motherboard via PM
- Intel chipset version
- the brand and model name of RAM and PSU
[Please check the specific model name of RAM such as CORSAIR CMK16GX4M2R5133C20 (Ver 5.33)]
- OS version and OS build
- Which slot do you install the graphics card in?
Thank you.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Grendel602,
Does random hangup, BSOD, and straight crash issues occur while running the specific apps? How often did them occur?
Does the WHEA 17 Errors only appear when you got hangup, BSODS, and straight crashes?
When install the graphics card in PCIEX16(G3), you don't have the WHEA 17 Errors and hangup, BSOD, and straight crash issues, but if you install the graphics card in PCIEX16(G5), the errors and issues occur again?
Do you also have the errors and issues with bios all default settings on bios 0707?
- the serial numbers of the motherboard and graphics card via PM
- Intel chipset version
[Please check the specific model name of RAM such as CORSAIR CMK16GX4M2R5133C20 (Ver 5.33)]
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi Grendel602,
Does random hangup, BSOD, and straight crash issues occur while running the specific apps? How often did them occur?
Does the WHEA 17 Errors only appear when you got hangup, BSODS, and straight crashes?
When install the graphics card in PCIEX16(G3), you don't have the WHEA 17 Errors and hangup, BSOD, and straight crash issues, but if you install the graphics card in PCIEX16(G5), the errors and issues occur again?
Do you also have the errors and issues with bios all default settings on bios 0707?
- the serial numbers of the motherboard and graphics card via PM
- Intel chipset version
Thank you.

Hangups and BSODS occur right after fresh WIN 11 install and the WHEA errors are constant on 0707 default settings. Problem exacerbates with anything GPU related.

Ive tried the following:
- disabling PCI-E link power state management seems to reduce the amount of WHEAs, but it still crashes under heavy load
- Next, I removed the GPU and ran the system off of the iGPU. No crashes, no WHEAs, running prime95 and cinebench without any
freezing whatsoever.
- Next, I set the top PCIE slot at gen 3 in bios same issue persists.
- Finally, plugging the GPU in the lower PCI-E slot works fine without issues. But now my ASUS 3090 TUF OC is running at PCIE 3 and
lower bandwidth this is a bandaid and not a fix.

Problem seems isolated to the top PCI-E slot. I tried reseating the card and still had the issue. Problem persists using a riser cable or
direct plug in.

I think this requires a BIOS update or chipset driver update. Clearly, the new Z690 with 12900K Alder Lake is experiencing comms
issues over the primary PCIE Gen 5 slot with RTX 3080 and 3090 GPUs. I have GEN 3 NVMIE Samsun 970 EVO's in the top two M2 slots.

When I swap all components back to my backup computer (Z390 Gigabyte Designare, 9900K CPU) I have zero issues and full
performance.

Event Viewer shows the following details

A corrected hardware error has occurred.
Component: PCI Express Root Port
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)
Primary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x1:0x0
Secondary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x0:0x0
Primary Device Name:PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_460D&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_02
Secondary Device Name:

And another similar issue that is PCIE related for INTEL PEG 10.
https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/WHEA-LOGGER-ID17-help/m-p/1328866#M54659

/////////////////

Product Model & S/N: ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4 BIOS 0707 (serial M9M0KS1641905L8; part 90MB18K0-MVAAY0)
BIOS/FW Version Updated to 0707 (but also occurs on original bios out of box)
CPU: I9-12900K
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO (2x16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMH32GX4M2E3200C16)
HDD: Samsung 970 PRO (1TB) in first M2 spot; Samsung 970 PRO (2TB) in 2 nd M2 Spot
VGA: 3090 TUF OC Gaming
Power Supply: Main Gear Ignition 1000 Watt

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Grendel602,
May I also have the serial number of your 3090 TUF OC Gaming, the chipset version and OS build?
I'll consult our tech team more about this.
Thank you.