Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Moderator Array

Hi Kukul,
    Thank you for your reply.
    If you exchange two SSDs(the one in M.2_3 slot changed to M.2_2 slot), do you get WHEA 17 error when do CrystalDiskMark testing on the SSD in M.2_2 slot?
    May I have the following information?
    - the serial number of the motherboard via PM
    - the brand and the model name of your CPU, RAM, graphics card, and PSU
    (Please check the specific model name of RAM such as G.SKILL F5-6800U4040G16GX2-TZ5S.)
    - OS version and OS build
    Thank you.

Moderator Array

Hi mini-itx,
    May I have more detail about the BSOD, freezing, black screen crashing issues you encounter?
    Do they occur when run the specific apps? How often do they occur? Is there any error message when you have the issues?
    Do they occur on bios 1601 with bios all default settings or only disable PCI Express Native Power Management?
    Which components you have cross checked?
    May I have the serial number of your motherboard via PM?
    Thank you.

Moderator Array

Hi Dodgexander,
    Our tech team have tested the motherboard and NVME T-Force CARDEA A440 in M.2_2 slot with CrystalDiskMark testing, but I'm afraid they don't see WHEA 17 error.
    If you disable PCIE Native Power Management to use it for a while and then enable PCIE Native Power Management again, do you get WHEA 17 error again without riser cable?
    Could you please help to use another NVME to install windows and test it with CrystalDiskMark in M.2_2 slot and M.2_1 slot, to see if you only get WHEA 17 error in M.2_2 slot?
    Thank you.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by STARRAIN@ROG View Post
    Hi Dodgexander,
    Our tech team have tested the motherboard and NVME T-Force CARDEA A440 in M.2_2 slot with CrystalDiskMark testing, but I'm afraid they don't see WHEA 17 error.
    If you disable PCIE Native Power Management to use it for a while and then enable PCIE Native Power Management again, do you get WHEA 17 error again without riser cable?
    Could you please help to use another NVME to install windows and test it with CrystalDiskMark in M.2_2 slot and M.2_1 slot, to see if you only get WHEA 17 error in M.2_2 slot?
    Thank you.
    I don't have another nvme to test.
    Since I moved nvme slots WHEA is no longer an issue. I can enable and disable it and there's no issue.
    The issue is not as prevalent in M.2_2 when riser cable isn't used. Without only a few WHEA and when stress testing nvme. When using riser cable and nvme in M.2_2 together there's big WHEA spam on boot and it's very clear.

Try testing with riser cable and 2TB version of my nvme drive. Also make sure to test z690i and not different board.

I've already spent so much time on this I'm not sure you can expect me to buy another nvme drive but I'll think about what I can do...

Moderator Array

Hi Dodgexander,
    Our tech team have tested NVME T-Force CARDEA A440 in z690i M.2_2 slot, but only saw WHEA 17 at first 3Dmark test.
    Then, disabled PCIE Native Power Management to test 3Dmark and CrystalDiskMark, there was no WHEA 17. Also, enabled PCIE Native Power Management to test it again, still no WHEA 17.
    May I double confirm if there is no issue when disable PCIE Native Power Management, do you see WHEA 17 again after enable PCIE Native Power Management without riser cable?
    Also, may I have the firmware version of your TEAMGROUP T-Force CARDEA A440?
    Thank you.
    Last edited by STARRAIN@ROG; 08-17-2022 at 08:13 AM.

New ROGer Array

Hi Dodgexander,
    Our tech team have tested NVME T-Force CARDEA A440 in z690i M.2_2 slot, but only saw WHEA 17 at first 3Dmark test.
    Then, disabled PCIE Native Power Management to test 3Dmark and CrystalDiskMark, there was no WHEA 17. Also, enabled PCIE Native Power Management to test it again, still no WHEA 17.
    May I double confirm if there is no issue when disable PCIE Native Power Management, do you see WHEA 17 again after enable PCIE Native Power Management without riser cable?
    Also, may I have the firmware version of your TEAMGROUP T-Force CARDEA A440?
    Thank you.
    I don't think we have the same understanding; it is my fault for getting the M.2 slots mixed up.
    To clarify:

M2_2 slot is the bottom slot on the Z690i

The M.2_2 slot is working 100% fine for me, no WHEA errors. The problem is the top slot M.2_1 slot with WHEA 17 errors.

If you are testing M.2_2 slot then of course you don't see WHEA errors, same as me.

You need to test the top M.2_1 slot.

For reference:

M.2_2 is the bottom slot, connected to the Z690 chipset.
    M.2_1 is the top slot, connected directly to the CPU.

The problematic slot is M.2_1 connected to the CPU.

If you disable PCIe Native Power Management then slot M.2_1 (top slot) becomes almost 100% stable, no WHEA errors, but sometimes BSOD or restart every few weeks and hard disk errors very occasionally in event viewer.
    If you enable PCIe Native Power Management, then slot M.2_1 you get WHEA spam in event viewer on boot when using external GPU. Without using external GPU(integrated graphics only) then you have to stress test NVME to see some WHEA errors with PCIE Native Power Management enabled.

Using an external GPU 100% makes the WHEA errors more common, even when it has nothing to do with NVME.

It is clearly related to some kind of signal loss between PCIe lanes and CPU.

With PCIe Native Power Management disabled there are no WHEA errors, but sometimes there are still issues. Not very common, every few weeks. WHEA 17 appears only in stress test when enabling PCIe Native Power Management without external. I found Crystaldiskmark useful to test, but you may find copying large file or other stress test repeats WHEA 17. With external GPU I get WHEA spam at boot.

I test GPU by disconnecting my graphics card and using instead integrated Intel Graphics.

If I connect GPU, even without riser cable, immediately there is WHEA spam, but only in M.2_1 slot (top), not in M.2_2 slot (bottom). I have tested this with two GPU's, one PCIe x3 and one PCIe x4.

Firmware is EIFM21.1 I do not believe there are any updates of firmware to this NVME.

When testing ensure Windows is not set to disable Link State Power Management as this may mean you see less error:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	link state power management.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	94640

All my testing is done on Windows 11 Pro.

New ROGer Array

Thumbs up

Hi everyone.

I also am an owner of an Asus Motherboard, the ROG z690i, that is having problems with continuous crashes and unstability. I created this forum user just to provide my details, hopefully, they will be useful for the devs to research and provide guidance on how to solve these issues.

Full CPUZ scan of my computer below:

https://valid.x86.fr/q6rdsr

I have the exact same experience as the prior user:

(...)For reference:

M.2_2 is the bottom slot, connected to the Z690 chipset.
    M.2_1 is the top slot, connected directly to the CPU.

The problematic slot is M.2_1 connected to the CPU.

If you disable PCIe Native Power Management then slot M.2_1 (top slot) becomes almost 100% stable, with no WHEA errors, but sometimes BSOD or restart every few weeks and hard disk errors very occasionally in event viewer.
    If you enable PCIe Native Power Management, then slot M.2_1 you get WHEA spam in the event viewer on boot when using an external GPU.(...)
    I have been able to reproduce the hang-up by stressing the 2TB nvme in slot M.2_1. I also have BSOD regularly while gaming. The difference with the prior user experience is that I can't use the computer for a day without some kind of crash, BSOD, or slow down. It's very annoying.

I don't have a third M2 slot to avoid this issue by not connecting anything on M.2_1 and I can't switch, I have one m2 for work, and one for personal use. I have tried all the suggestions on this thread, but none of them give me a fully stable system.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by MarceWAT View Post
    Hi everyone.

I also am an owner of an Asus Motherboard, the ROG z690i, that is having problems with continuous crashes and unstability. I created this forum user just to provide my details, hopefully, they will be useful for the devs to research and provide guidance on how to solve these issues.

Full CPUZ scan of my computer below:

https://valid.x86.fr/q6rdsr

I have the exact same experience as the prior user:

I have been able to reproduce the hang-up by stressing the 2TB nvme in slot M.2_1. I also have BSOD regularly while gaming. The difference with the prior user experience is that I can't use the computer for a day without some kind of crash, BSOD, or slow down. It's very annoying.

I don't have a third M2 slot to avoid this issue by not connecting anything on M.2_1 and I can't switch, I have one m2 for work, and one for personal use. I have tried all the suggestions on this thread, but none of them give me a fully stable system.
    Interesting that you have a 2TB NVME. Asus seem to have tested the wrong slot, but I wonder if they are testing with a high-capacity SSD like you and I own.
    BTW, it may be worth you trying disconnecting your graphics card and enabling multi-monitor in the BIOS to use the integrated graphics on the CPU.

See if like me, you get more WHEA errors when you use external graphics with PCIe Native Power Management enabled and M.2_1 utilized. When I tested using internal graphics there were less errors than using a external GPU.

New ROGer Array mini-itx PC Specs
    mini-itx PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Early 2015 Macbook Pro
    MotherboardASUS ROG Strix Z690-I
    ProcessorIntel i9 12900 K
    Memory (part number)G. SKILL Trident Z5 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 5600 CL36
    Graphics Card #1Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 6800 16G GDDR6
    MonitorLG 43" Ultra HD 4K IPS Monitor
    Storage #11 TB Samsung NVME M.2 V-NAND SSD 980 PRO
    Storage #21 TB Samsung NVME M.2 V-NAND SSD 980 PRO
    CPU CoolerLiquid Cooled Custom Loop
    CaseBitfenix Prodigy
    Power SupplyCORSAIR RMx Series (2021) RM850x
    OS Windows 11

Hi mini-itx,
    May I have more detail about the BSOD, freezing, black screen crashing issues you encounter?
    Do they occur when run the specific apps? How often do they occur? Is there any error message when you have the issues?
    Do they occur on bios 1601 with bios all default settings or only disable PCI Express Native Power Management?
    Which components you have cross checked?
    May I have the serial number of your motherboard via PM?
    Thank you.
    I have wasted many hours with this defective motherboard! All other components used are functioning properly! I have encountered nothing but denial and deflection since I attempted to register this motherboard! Lie #1 First I was told by ASUS support that the serial number was invalid or fraudulent, I purchased the motherboard from Micro Center! They do not sell fake motherboards! Lie#2 Then I was told the motherboard was not covered under warranty! I purchased the mb on 11/29/2021.
    Lie #3 I was told by ASUS support that there was no known issue with Z690 mb! I sent the motherboard in for RMA expecting to have ASUS replace the defective MB. Lie #4 I was told that the other components in the system were the cause of the problems!
    After being lied to so many times I realize ASUS has no integrity, and I also realize I am wasting my time dealing with you in this this manner!
    If you do not know what BSOD, freezing, black screen crashing consist of you have no business responding on this forum!
    I am a busy man, I do not have any more time to deal with ASUS "KING OF DENIAL" regarding this matter. The only recourse I have is to initiate a class action lawsuit on behalf of myself and many other consumers who have been cheated by ASUS!
    THANKS A Little!
    Last edited by mini-itx; 08-20-2022 at 03:03 AM.

Moderator Array

Hi Dodgexander,
    Thank you for your information.
    I'll forward it to our tech team for testing M.2_1 again.

Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast