Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Z690-E Gaming Wifi WHEA 17 ERRORS

Hello, user of the Z690-E Gaming Wifi variant here.
    I'm also getting a lot of WHEA 17 errors, and I've pinpointed the source to PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_464D&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_02
    , which is the PCIExpress 4x port where my OS SSD is installed. It's the M.2_2 slot on the motherboard.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whea17.PNG 
Views:	0 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	94538

Name:	PEG464D.PNG 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	94537

To trigger this error I just have to "stress" the ssd (for instance, zip or unzip something big in the C: drive) and the Device Intel PEG60 - 464D will throw this WHEA 17 error (corrected hardware error).
    I'm using BIOS version 1601, everything on default Auto, not even XMP enabled.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Kukul View Post
    Hello, user of the Z690-E Gaming Wifi variant here.
    I'm also getting a lot of WHEA 17 errors, and I've pinpointed the source to PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_464D&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_02
    , which is the PCIExpress 4x port where my OS SSD is installed. It's the M.2_2 slot on the motherboard.

Name:	whea17.PNG 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	94538

Name:	PEG464D.PNG 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	94537

To trigger this error I just have to "stress" the ssd (for instance, zip or unzip something big in the C: drive) and the Device Intel PEG60 - 464D will throw this WHEA 17 error (corrected hardware error).
    I'm using BIOS version 1601, everything on default Auto, not even XMP enabled.
    I saw this and and tested using the integrated GPU of my 12700k with my external GPU unplugged.
    Exactly the same as you, I ran CrystalDisk mark and as soon as the writing test came I get WHEA errors. This is only when when PCIe Native Power Management is enabled in bios, not as many WHEA errors when my external GPU and riser cable is also used.
    This is on the Z690I and the exact same device name as you: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_464D&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_02 my NVME storage slot.

This device name is also the same name as the errors I get more commonly when using the GPU.

It seems the WHEA errors could instead be related to the NVME drive, but it's strange they happen more often when external GPU is used. Do you use an external GPU?

I'd like to know what Asus plan to do to fix this issue that so many of us are having.

Moderator Array

Hi Kukul,
    Do you get WHEA 17 error on bios 1601 with bios all default settings except PCIE Native Power Management disabled?
    If you install the OS drive in other M.2 slot, do you also get the error?
    Do you use dedicated graphics card? If yes, do you use riser cable?
    Thank you.

Moderator Array

Hi Dodgexander,
    If you install the OS drive in M.2_1 slot, do you also get WHEA 17 error when run CrystalDisk mark on bios 1601 with bios all default settings?
    Do you only use TEAMGROUP T-Force CARDEA A440 or have other SSD installed in M.2_1 slot? Have you tried other SSD in M.2_2 slot but get the same error when run CrystalDisk mark?
    Thank you.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by STARRAIN@ROG View Post
    Hi Dodgexander,
    If you install the OS drive in M.2_1 slot, do you also get WHEA 17 error when run CrystalDisk mark on bios 1601 with bios all default settings?
    Do you only use TEAMGROUP T-Force CARDEA A440 or have other SSD installed in M.2_1 slot? Have you tried other SSD in M.2_2 slot but get the same error when run CrystalDisk mark?
    Thank you.
    Ok I think we are getting closer to the problem. I did as you said and instead put my NVME drive in the M.2_2 slot (this on the Z690I is the bottom slot, not the top).
    After doing this I can confirm there are no more WHEA errors with PCIe Native Power management enabled.
    In fact, I can enable every PCIe power management feature and it works fine.

Performance is now back where it should be again, and power savings are working.

Conclusion:
    I hope Asus and Intel can fix this, but clearly there is an issue with the transport between the M.2_2 slot that is connected directly to the CPU.
    These errors have nothing to do with the graphics card, but instead that second M.2_2 slot as the M.2_1 slot which is instead connected to the Z690 chipset works fine.

Too ASUS:
    Please can you work with Intel to fix the issues with the M.2_2 slot? It's clear now from other information online from other users this is the cause of the error. Your tech team should be able to reproduce the problem quite easily by running a storage test like CrystalDiskMark or even by using a GPU with a riser cable and seeing the WHEA 17 spam in event log on boot. After performing storage test, check event log>system for WHEA.

STARRAIN@ROG
    Please, please tell me you guys can reproduce this.

To others with this issue:
    Forget GPU or riser cables. Instead look at your M.2 slot that is connected directly to the CPU. Instead use the M.2 slot connected to the Z690 chipset. For me on the Z690I (ITX board) M.2_2 is the slot connected to CPU and is located underneath the M.2_1 slot which is connected directly to CPU. This will differ on other boards but the manual of your board will specify which is which.

I must have put about 20h of troubleshooting into this problem and can now be at rest knowing the chipset M.2 slot is working fine. I hope this helps others and I hope Asus can fix this problem. I'll be keeping track of this for when I need to use the other slot in the future, or before my warranty runs out because clearly there is currently a fault with the motherboard.

Moderator Array

Hi Dodgexander,
    Thank you for your reply but I'm little confused.
    After checked specs on our site, for ROG STRIX Z690-I GAMING WIFI, M.2_1 is from CPU and M.2_2 is from chipset.
    Do you get the error when install SSD in M.2_1 or M.2_2?
    Thank you.

New ROGer Array

Hi Dodgexander,
    Thank you for your reply but I'm little confused.
    After checked specs on our site, for ROG STRIX Z690-I GAMING WIFI, M.2_1 is from CPU and M.2_2 is from chipset.
    Do you get the error when install SSD in M.2_1 or M.2_2?
    Thank you.
    You are right, but this part of the manual is not clear.

Name:	Screenshot 2022-08-11 144822.jpg 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	94557
    This is a bit clearer:

Name:	Screenshot 2022-08-11 145535.jpg 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	94558

Name:	Screenshot 2022-08-11 145558.jpg 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	94559

So, it's the slot connected to the Z690 that has the issue. And the slot connected to the CPU that doesn't.

Moderator Array

Hi Dodgexander,
    Thank you for your confirmation.
    For WHEA 17 in M.2_2, I'll consult our tech team more about this.

New ROGer Array

ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming Wifi WHEA 17 errors

Hi STARRAIN, been doing some testing and I can confirm some things:

Hi Kukul,
    Do you get WHEA 17 error on bios 1601 with bios all default settings except PCIE Native Power Management disabled?
    Thank you.
    - No WHEA 17 errors when this setting disabled.

- No, let me clear up below.

- Yes and yes. But given the Windows event viewer logs, I don't think it has anything to do with it. At least, I've tried stressing the graphics Card (RTX3080) and it didn't trigger any related WHEA errors.

So to further explain, let me clear up my setup first:

I have two identical nvme SSDs (Corsair MP600 PRO XT), one is C: OS drive (the one on M.2_2 slot), the other one is secondary D: drive (the one on M.2_3 slot).
    In the ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming Wifi Manual, it says M.2_2 slot is pending from CPU (System Agent), and M.2_3 slot is pending from Chipset Z690.
    So in my case it's M.2_2 slot (the CPU pending one) the one giving problems.

Been doing some testing (CrystalDiskMark) and can confirm:

-No WHEA 17 errors while testing D: (M.2_3 slot - the chipset one), regardless of any BIOS setting. This slot works fine always.

When testing M.2_2 slot with BIOS setting PCI Express Native Power Management option (under Advanced\Platform Misc Configuration) set to:
    - Enabled: Many new WHEA errors appear as soon as I begin testing.
    -Disabled: no WHEA errors whatsoever, it seems to work fine. However with this setting disabled, sometimes, after POST and initial windows load, but befor the Windows Welcoming screen, a new intermediate black loding screen will appear.

New ROGer Array mini-itx PC Specs
    mini-itx PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Early 2015 Macbook Pro
    MotherboardASUS ROG Strix Z690-I
    ProcessorIntel i9 12900 K
    Memory (part number)G. SKILL Trident Z5 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 5600 CL36
    Graphics Card #1Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 6800 16G GDDR6
    MonitorLG 43" Ultra HD 4K IPS Monitor
    Storage #11 TB Samsung NVME M.2 V-NAND SSD 980 PRO
    Storage #21 TB Samsung NVME M.2 V-NAND SSD 980 PRO
    CPU CoolerLiquid Cooled Custom Loop
    CaseBitfenix Prodigy
    Power SupplyCORSAIR RMx Series (2021) RM850x
    OS Windows 11

Thumbs up

All of you are wasting your time with ASUS and this Forum!
    The Z690 ASUS motherboards have engineering design flaws!
    ASUS will not replace your defective motherboards, all they do is "repair them". I sent my ASUS z690-I in for RMA all ASUS did was replace my BIOS and modify firmware.
    This did nothing to correct BSOD, Freezing, black screen crashes etc. In fact after the purported "repairs" I am receiving other error messages in Windows System Event viewer pertaining to the firmware they installed.
    After requesting advanced tech support ASUS replied "the problem is one of the other components in you system".
    They deny and deflect and even bear false witness!
    The "moderators" on this forum and the tech support personnel are paid to be disingenuous with their customers. I have personally experienced this since I purchased my motherboard in December of 2021!
    A real disgrace and show of disrespect for their loyal customers!
    Sorry ASUS you have produced a loser and do not have the integrity to make it right!

If you have been a victim of this unethical mishandling of a defect produced by ASUS do not be intimidated!

IT IS TIME FOR A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT!!
    Last edited by mini-itx; 08-14-2022 at 10:13 PM.

Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast