cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unusually high chipset temperature?

JeffroMan
Level 9
I could not find this information elsewhere. I have a Z690 Hero Maximus Mobo. With default settings loaded in BIOS, UEFI reports that the chipset temperature is anywhere from 46 - 52 degrees celsius. That is within the UEFI BIOS setup monitoring screen. Can anyone else let me know what they're seeing for this temperature within BIOS with this motherboard?90795
23 REPLIES 23

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

50C is fine and well within operating limits. Mileage will vary depending on ambients
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

JeffroMan
Level 9
Thanks, good to know. Ambient temperature was around 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

BigJohnny
Level 13
Its always seemed high to me but its been the same range across multiple motherboards.

Adrian1983
Level 10
JeffroMan wrote:
I could not find this information elsewhere. I have a Z690 Hero Maximus Mobo. With default settings loaded in BIOS, UEFI reports that the chipset temperature is anywhere from 46 - 52 degrees celsius. That is within the UEFI BIOS setup monitoring screen. Can anyone else let me know what they're seeing for this temperature within BIOS with this motherboard?90795

You think that's bad here's my Z690 Gaming APCH Temp just reached 65c just loading WIndows up at boot, It's 0c here in the UK and the ambient is cool.

If I start gaming it reaches 73c I am not happy with this and may send it back for a different board, There's a reason why board makers started to add fans to the chipset on PCIE 4.0 AMD boards and it's this reason, What's the point in doing everything humanely possible to cool a CPU when onboard chips run this hot.90909

It's unclear, but your situation may indicate a heat-related issue. If you haven't been running any high-intensity programs, it could be something as simple as bad ventilation in the case. But if you have been playing VR games or using intensive graphics applications, then I recommend contacting customer service for a diagnostic and repair process to help identify the problem before it becomes serious or permanent damage occurs. They're there to help.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello, it might be worth asking what's connected to the system. Multiple storage devices will put load through the PCH. Of course, it's of no consequence, as the chipset is designed to operate well within those limits.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

wladxq
Level 7
Hello, I am having the same issue. This is a ROG STRIX Z690-G GAMING WIFI and I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

I have SSDs in all 3 NVME slots and the GPU is coming above the chipset.

Hey i don't know how old this topic is,

but indeed the Nvme ssd's share lanes with Cpu and Gpu,

I have an Asus ROG X570-E and my Motherboard had an annoying small fan on a very little chipset cooler block.

i was annoyed by the fan ramping up every time... 😜 so i watched the Bauer (an german overclocker).

who had reported about the Am4 situation on the active chipset cooling and if its needed or not..

long story short: ,,I've bought an copper block +- on the dimensions that would fit the space behind the graphics card between the memory and a secondary Sata m2 epensionslot.

i've made some picutures last time i've have cleaned my pc a bit..

20230531_093634(1).jpg20230531_093620(1).jpg

I have tie-wrapped the copper block in place with a thermal grizzly minus pad 8 in between the chip and copper.

my chipset did get much cooler from this mod. and lot quieter for sure.

it's not like between min 62 c and max 110 c  anymore (while screaming high pitched fan kicks in),

more like between 50 and 75 depends on use and or how hot ambient temperatures in the room are.

running 71 c know while pc is on all day on hot ambient room so i won't be scared for the tempertures..

Grtz Raphael

Iceoel
Level 7
Hello,

Same problem here as well.

ASUS support was useless. "If you think something is wrong, return it"...instead of actually helping me with some problem solving or giving some answers.

- The chipset 70C+ while the rest of the system is cool. It's not an airflow-issue. I do however have 2x nvme installed, so it might be that putting some load on the PCH.
- The GPU is located above the chipset. GPU is 40 degrees, so it should actually be chilling the chipset which is 70+.
- Managed to get it down a few degrees by tweaking the BIOS.

My best guess atm:
- I think it might be poor thermal pads - anyone poppet the heatsink off and had a look?
- Additional BIOS-related load-reduction of the PCH as a temporary workaround.