cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Turbo Vcore killed my Z690 Asus Apex and 12900k

dante_afk
Level 7
Tried to change my vcore in idle via this asus tool, when hitting apply it switched to 0.600v. Shut down.
Only boots up for half a second with code 00 (apex z690).
Bios flashback or cmos reset don't do anything.

RIP
7 REPLIES 7

Shamino
i think its possibly a race condition.
do u have hwinfo opened during this time?

Shamino wrote:
i think its possibly a race condition.
do u have hwinfo opened during this time?

Yes It was opened.

It actually killed also my Z690 Asus APEX

I got a new 12900k and while the machine "boots" and all LEDs stay on, the motherboard shows 00.

dante`afk wrote:
Yes It was opened.

It actually killed also my Z690 Asus APEX

I got a new 12900k and while the machine "boots" and all LEDs stay on, the motherboard shows 00.

the dreaded 00, I'm sorry. i remember seeing that horrible post code on my 1st build.

theroc44
Level 9
bro that is terrible

rjbarker
Level 11
Assuming you also tried removing battery from Mobo and re-installing...last ditch effort?

BigJohnny
Level 13
Dont use any of the apps that make BIOS changes. I used AI suite on an M8E and it bricked both BIOS ROMS. At first I thought this was slick and had it running for several days and made multiple OC profiles. I had just finished an OC run, nothing else open, and simply set the saved default clock profile. Locked slam up and after a hard shutdown with the power button it failed to boot on either BIOS when the second one handnt even been messed with in the least. Fortunately for me the roms were still socketed and I found a pair of them on fleabay for $30 each and replaced them, flashed updated BIOS and was back in business. Ive not used anything that writes to BIOS while the machine is in the OS since. I gave up on other ASUS software as well. Aura that never worked correctly is now armory crate and it still doesnt work. GPU tweak also doesnt work as it should. Im still floored that I have to use software to run my GPUs at their rated OC speed. One would think whats on the box is what it will run with no software required. In the end I use MSI afterburner and it works 10% of the time. ASUS makes some great hardware but the software doesnt make the cut. Look though the forum, most of the posts are about some ASUS software failing. Right now the hot topic is Armory crate that I tried once, then ditched all my ASUS peripherals that were over priced and sucked anyway and went to all corsair for lighting, keyboard and mouse. It has a plug in for ASUS MOBOs and controls them just fine, with the exception of addressable RGB headers. I dont use them anyway as I went corsair with those too. Not a problem since.

I've noticed something weird but not sure if it is related. I have always used an app called ThrottleStop to do some overclocking/voltage offsetting in OS. No problems whatsoever on my i9-10900K rig, or my laptop with i7-8750H. When i first built the 12900K with ROG Z690-E with the original BIOS, throttlestop worked ok, I was able to set the turbo clock to 5.1ghz on P cores while also offset Vcore by about -70mV and be stable under stress test. However, after I updated bios to 0702, any voltage offset using ThrottleStop in OS will just freeze my windows 11.