Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenith II Extreme BIOS 1502 "Test CMOS" very long post

micboule
Level 8
Hi,

Anyone know what is going on?

It's very sad to see that we can have problems with High End products like the ThreadRipper Series.
I like my PC performance very much and I'm very happy with it, though.

I just want to share that I do get a Code CPU Code C7 too.

Here is a video of the issue: Youtube Video

But just after the Code C7, it changes to "Test CMOS" and stay there for about 1 min. 30 sec.
After a long wait, it processes to the VGA and HDD just fine and then boot the Windows.

I started to get that "Test CMOS" from the latest BIOS Update 1502 we had to install to make it compatible for the OS Windows 11.

Then, when I saw that, I have tried to boot from the Slot BIOS #2 that was having the BIOS Version 1402. At the first boot, it did not show the "Test CMOS", but on the second boot, it started to show the same "Test CMOS" and waiting again 1 min. 30 sec. more to boot.

Oh, by the way, I remember when I was booting from BIOS 1402 before updating to 1502, the PC was going ON and OFF for about 5 to 8 times before the Posting Boot appears, now with 1502 I don't get the behavior anymore.

Here the spesc I have:
Windows 11 Pro. 21H2 (with all the latest drivers)
Zenith II Extreme (not Alpha) Z2E
CPU AMD ThreadRipper 3970X
Watercooling with Heatsink Heatkiller IV (Quad 4 rads)
Waterpump EKWB D5 Pump
64GB G.SKILL Trident Z Neo (For AMD Ryzen) Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin RGB DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C18D-32GTZN
2 x Gigabyte NVME GP-ASM2NE6100TTTD 1TB each (RAID 0)
5 HDD SATA 3.5"
1 x 1080Ti Geforce Nvidia Strix OC
1 x 660Ti Geforce Nvidia
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i 80 PLUS Titanium

Also, I do have another problem in Windows 10 and 11 Pro.

Not able to shutdown the Windows at all. When I clic on the Windows Shutdown button, nothings happend.
Almost all the time, I need to push the Case Power button for 4 sec to get it OFF.

If someone can help, I would very much appreciated 🙂
13 REPLIES 13

micboule
Level 8
I have an update about the problem of CPU - C7 Test CMOS on Bios Post

If I do a Load Bios Default, I dont get the code anymore.

When I disable in the BIOS the Intel LAN network Card and WIFI Card this is where I get the error on the next boot.

I have contacted Asus Technical Support about that problem and they say that they need more technical data and needs to be at Asus Repair Center.

micboule wrote:
I have an update about the problem of CPU - C7 Test CMOS on Bios Post

If I do a Load Bios Default, I dont get the code anymore.

When I disable in the BIOS the Intel LAN network Card and WIFI Card this is where I get the error on the next boot.

I have contacted Asus Technical Support about that problem and they say that they need more technical data and needs to be at Asus Repair Center.

Sorry to revive your post, but did you ever get this resolved?
I have the ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha motherboard and it developed the same booting problem that shows a CPU C7 error followed by TEST CMOS error, when I disable the Intel LAN controller.
I'm in contact with ASUS, but they have ignored my requests for a status update for weeks. It's obvious to me that they know there's a problem with the motherboard, but won't tell me because there aren't any new motherboards in stock to replace mine with.

Have you continued using the motherboard?
And if so, do you run it with the Intel LAN controller enabled for a quicker boot or with it disabled?

Hey guys,

What I would do is, try starting from the beginning. Save all your data on a external device. Keep the setup basic. De-attach the 5 HDD's and Geforce 660Ti. Remove the array from NVMe SSD's (unless you have Windows installed on it). Now, most people in the world hate this but if your system is overclocked, you will need to revert to default values. The point is to get a proper boot. Press the Clear_CMOS button located the rear panel of the motherboard. Test the system. Theoretically, this works 95% of the time. You should boot into BIOS with stock settings. Adjust the settings so the RAID array is enabled. Another issue that comes to my mind is that you might have one the BIOS files corrupted. Search the manual on the internet and use Asus CrashFree BIOS 3 option. I can't see your BIOS menu's and the online user's manual is all theory. What I would do is, use only one of the basic input & output systems chips. Basically, if you want to update the BIOS make sure it's that installed to only 1 BIOS chip. Use it and try not to switch it at all. I guess Asus implemented this feature to be innovative however it's malfunctioning to my mind.
If you decide to re-install a clean version of Windows this is what I would do:

• Make sure all of the power connectors are connected to the motherboard (24-pin and the remaining three 12V connectors).
  • Attach for the time being only 1 or 2 SSD's (you probably would like to enable RAID 0 array) for installation of Windows.
  • Leave most of the features to Auto.
  • Now, if the system is functioning properly, now is the time to adjust settings inside the BIOS for overclocking.
  • Test the system after overclocked settings. It's important to get normal POST's and boots.
  • Install Windows. Basically if you get any errors, they will be happening during Windows implementation so you won't worry as much.

I don't possess this type of hardware but I'm using the x399 platform for 4 years now. I've been studying the BIOS features for a long time. Zenith Extreme or Zenith II Extreme from the looks of it are similar in BIOS menu's. I hope this helps
🙂

Asus finally got back to me. They sent me a special BIOS, 9901, to test.
I'm happy to say that it resolved my issue of getting CPU Code 7 and TEST CMOS errors after disabling the Intel LAN and WiFi controllers.

I'm still having an issue with my 10GbE port not connecting to my switch after entering the BIOS and rebooting.
The fix is as simple as pulling the SFP+ module from my switch and re-inserting it.

Hopefully I don't have any more issues.

FQs19 wrote:
Asus finally got back to me. They sent me a special BIOS, 9901, to test.
I'm happy to say that it resolved my issue of getting CPU Code 7 and TEST CMOS errors after disabling the Intel LAN and WiFi controllers.

I'm still having an issue with my 10GbE port not connecting to my switch after entering the BIOS and rebooting.
The fix is as simple as pulling the SFP+ module from my switch and re-inserting it.

Hopefully I don't have any more issues.

Hi FQs19,

I was wondering...

Is the problem is fixed for you? Or you still need to stay enable Intel Lan and Wifi controllers?

Thanks,

micboule wrote:
Hi FQs19,

I was wondering...

Is the problem is fixed for you? Or you still need to stay enable Intel Lan and Wifi controllers?

Thanks,

As for the CPU Code 7 followed by the Test CMOS errors after disabling the Intel LAN and WiFi controllers, YES. The special BIOS 9901 does stop those errors from showing and the computer boots normally.
I was able to disable either one and have the computer boot, but I couldn't disable both without the special BIOS 9901.

However, my motherboard is still not functioning correctly. I can't disable Global C-State control. If I do, my Unraid parity performance is horrendous. The parity check will only run around 10MB/sec instead of the normal 180MB/sec.
There are other issues with my motherboard as well. I get frequent hard drive errors (UDMA CRC) with the motherboard SATA and ASMedia ports. I also get UDMA CRC errors with an HBA controller in the PCIE slot.
The cpu temperature is also all over the place even though I have an AIO on it. The fans ramp up and down accordingly.

ISo there are either more BIOS issues or there are hardware problems with my motherboard.
I sent it back to Asus for repair. I don't expect them to repair it and there aren't any new ones available. I have no idea what they're going to do for me.

FQs19 wrote:
As for the CPU Code 7 followed by the Test CMOS errors after disabling the Intel LAN and WiFi controllers, YES. The special BIOS 9901 does stop those errors from showing and the computer boots normally.
I was able to disable either one and have the computer boot, but I couldn't disable both without the special BIOS 9901.

However, my motherboard is still not functioning correctly. I can't disable Global C-State control. If I do, my Unraid parity performance is horrendous. The parity check will only run around 10MB/sec instead of the normal 180MB/sec.
There are other issues with my motherboard as well. I get frequent hard drive errors (UDMA CRC) with the motherboard SATA and ASMedia ports. I also get UDMA CRC errors with an HBA controller in the PCIE slot.
The cpu temperature is also all over the place even though I have an AIO on it. The fans ramp up and down accordingly.

ISo there are either more BIOS issues or there are hardware problems with my motherboard.
I sent it back to Asus for repair. I don't expect them to repair it and there aren't any new ones available. I have no idea what they're going to do for me.

Hi FQs19,

Thanks for the follow up. Have you received your Motherboard repaired yet?
On my side, I still can run Windows but I can say that it is the first time I get so much problem with a motherboard.

I have updated to the latest BIOS availlable to see any improvement and I got so much problem (a lot of errors) on reinstalling Windows, I had to revert to the previous BIOS. Another post has been created for his issue.

I still can't benefit of a fully functionnal ZE2 Motherboard.

Why it is so hard to get a new one?

Regards,

micboule wrote:
Hi FQs19,

Thanks for the follow up. Have you received your Motherboard repaired yet?
On my side, I still can run Windows but I can say that it is the first time I get so much problem with a motherboard.

I have updated to the latest BIOS availlable to see any improvement and I got so much problem (a lot of errors) on reinstalling Windows, I had to revert to the previous BIOS. Another post has been created for his issue.

I still can't benefit of a fully functionnal ZE2 Motherboard.

Why it is so hard to get a new one?

Regards,

I haven't received my motherboard. It was damaged in shipping back to Asus and they're currently submitting a claim to the shipping carrier since I used Asus's prepaid shipping label.
They stopped making these boards the same year they were released because there are only 3 cpus that will fit in them and those were also only made for less then a year. That was 2 years ago.

FQs19 wrote:
I haven't received my motherboard. It was damaged in shipping back to Asus and they're currently submitting a claim to the shipping carrier since I used Asus's prepaid shipping label.
They stopped making these boards the same year they were released because there are only 3 cpus that will fit in them and those were also only made for less then a year. That was 2 years ago.

Hi FQs19,

That's a problem to not be able to get another motherboard for those sTRX40 Threadripper CPU. Specially at the performance of those products and prices they are selling.

I was thinking to buying another backup Motherboard, but they start to be hard to get.
The one that I can get around here is the ASUS Prime TRX40-Pro S AMD sTRX4, which is less featured than a ZE2.

I'm wondering if there is something similar on the market that would be able to replace the 3970x CPU?