cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sleep mode not working properly on S17 GX703HS 2021

kingslaver
Level 8
Dear ROG Team,

It is really a sad day that I'm writing about such an unexpected SLEEP mode issue.

I discovered that the laptop is automatically/randomly waking up from the FAKE SLEEP / MODERN STANDBY mode (S0) while overheating to MAX levels during midnight sleep!!

After researching, I found out that MODERN STANDBY (S0) is actually keeping the CPU & GPU active and this causes OVERHEATING by time which is very inconvenient for a gaming laptop such as S17. If this new S0 is that buggy, how could you leave it enabled for such a powerful laptop???!!! at least give us the option to disable it!

Please note that I managed to bring back the REGULAR SLEEP (S3) but the laptop does not wake up properly and it shuts down upon pressing any key to wake from sleep!

I hope I could get some real support on this matter..

Regards,
Tawfik
7 REPLIES 7

Blake1
Level 10
Hello there,
I have sent you PM.
Please kindly check and reply, we can discuss further about this issue
Thank you very much *

polyh3dron
Level 9
kingslaver wrote:
Dear ROG Team,

It is really a sad day that I'm writing about such an unexpected SLEEP mode issue.

I discovered that the laptop is automatically/randomly waking up from the FAKE SLEEP / MODERN STANDBY mode (S0) while overheating to MAX levels during midnight sleep!!

After researching, I found out that MODERN STANDBY (S0) is actually keeping the CPU & GPU active and this causes OVERHEATING by time which is very inconvenient for a gaming laptop such as S17. If this new S0 is that buggy, how could you leave it enabled for such a powerful laptop???!!! at least give us the option to disable it!

Please note that I managed to bring back the REGULAR SLEEP (S3) but the laptop does not wake up properly and it shuts down upon pressing any key to wake from sleep!

I hope I could get some real support on this matter..

Regards,
Tawfik

I'm experiencing something similar and Asus support is no help here, the person reading their script just wants me to send mine in when there is most likely nothing wrong with it from a hardware standpoint. They're refusing to remote in or look at my event viewer logs. @Blake@ROG if you are willing to also look into this with me you would be a saint. Well, you already are one, you'd just be doing yet another saintly thing.

MichaelCollins wrote:
Have you found the answer?

Hi, I'm using hibernate mode only.. and I disabled sleep from everywhere.

Unfortunately, the ROG team didn't provide any solution.. just some random questions!!

I ran into the same problem
in my case modern standby wouldn't work usually if I had a USB mouse connected.
attempting the fixes to go to S3 sleep resulted in the machine hard crashing on wakeup
I ended up switching to a bluetooth logitech mouse to get around it the above issue with the USB mouse

In the case of hibernation this can be bad for you're SSD since it's writing Gb's of data to the disk from memory each time.

It seems to stay "asleep" (S0 modern standby) if it gets to the point where it does sleep (light fading on and off)
But sometimes I have to reboot it or try sleep a couple of times to get it to actually go to sleep which sort of defeats the point.
I think because it's software based in some cases some form of background app can prevent it from sleeping.

I suspect it would be a lot better if it went into the same mode of "sleep" that it goes into when there's no power cable connected
Since I think that's some lower form of sleep for modern standby. But I've no idea if there's even a registry fix for it.
Personally I would never trust a laptop in "modern standby" in a laptop bag without shutting it down.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?126967-Laptop-GX703HS-KF075T-Sleep-Mode-Issues
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?128570-Please-re-add-support-for-proper-Hardware-Sleep-S3-...

This might help
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/146593-enable-disable-network-connectivity-modern-standby-window...
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/108378-add-networking-connectivity-standby-power-options-windows...

In my case I changed the registry setting
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\F15576E8-98B7-4186-B944-EAFA664402D9\Attributes
from a value of 0 to 2

Then opened up the control panel -> Power Options -> Change Plan Settings -> Change advanced settings
There should now be an entry of "Networking Connectivity in Standby"
Set to disable for AC / Battery

Still no help from Asus support team? 1 year? Really?

Falcon2_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Geek5000 wrote:
Still no help from Asus support team? 1 year? Really?

Could you please tell me what kind of problems you are currently encountering?