cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690 extreme 980 pro running hot against motherbaord

theroc44
Level 9
Just curious if anyone else is getting 55 to 60 C' on the M.2 pcie 4.0 slots on the front of the mobo. I left the 5.0 slot empty and put 2 980 pros in the other 2 slots but they run pretty hot. I took the cover back off and made sure the thermal pads were making contact, it seems they are. I dunno how to lower the temp of these guys. If the 4.0 m.2s are running hot whats gonna happen when I put a 5.0 m.2 in that top slot. The crazy thing is the WD sn850s in the DIMM.2 slot are running in the 40's . Anyone seeing the same results?

17 REPLIES 17

Carlyle2020
Level 10
Did you use those little square rubber ssd standoff things? They are needed to ensure good contact to the heatsink.
And are you willing to void the warranty by removing the top plastic sticker?

50 to 60 degree is hot. But just in idle. Not while working.

darth_meh
Level 7
theroc44 wrote:
Just curious if anyone else is getting 55 to 60 C' on the M.2 pcie 4.0 slots on the front of the mobo. I left the 5.0 slot empty and put 2 980 pros in the other 2 slots but they run pretty hot. I took the cover back off and made sure the thermal pads were making contact, it seems they are. I dunno how to lower the temp of these guys. If the 4.0 m.2s are running hot whats gonna happen when I put a 5.0 m.2 in that top slot. The crazy thing is the WD sn850s in the DIMM.2 slot are running in the 40's . Anyone seeing the same results?

FYI - if you put a M.2 in slot 1, your video card will only run at 8x.
That's one of the reasons I returned the Extreme.

Lol what, have you even read the manual.
If you use M2_1 PCIEX16(G5)_2 gets completly disabled, PCIEX16(G5)_1 will still run with x16.

KhornAlpha wrote:
If you use M2_1 PCIEX16(G5)_2 gets completly disabled, PCIEX16(G5)_1 will still run with x16.

Can confirm. I am using both m.2 slots and I am running at x16 on my Apex board.

warreng090 wrote:
Can confirm. I am using both m.2 slots and I am running at x16 on my Apex board.

The Apex is different. The onboard M2 slots don't share bandwidth with PCIEX16_1.
That's one of the reasons I exchanged my Extreme for the Apex.

darth_meh wrote:
The Apex is different. The onboard M2 slots don't share bandwidth with PCIEX16_1.
That's one of the reasons I exchanged my Extreme for the Apex.

Funny I just went thru all this !!!!

KhornAlpha wrote:

I did. If you read page xiii you'll see you're wrong.

theroc44
Level 9
So I messed with the thermal pads a bit and extended them with additional cut strips of thermal pad and it lowered the ambient temps by 15c. I know someone mentioned they swapped boards for the APEX rather than the EXTREME. I'm just curious if the PCIE 5.0 M.2 is rocking 128g/b per sec( which is at max transfer bandwidth) and at pcie 5.0 8x a GPU is rocking 64g/b per sec, why does that matter? At 8x and 64 gigs transfer rate, a 3080ti cant even hit 20gigs transfer rate, "the GeForce RTX 3080 Ti has 10,240 CUDA cores and carries 12GB of GDDR6X memory featuring a 19 GT/s data transfer rate as well as a 384-bit interface." https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-gets-geekbenched#:~:text=Based%20on%20t....
Other than the fact the 2nd pcie slot is disabled on the extreme when using a 5.0 m.2, why is the APEX better? What am I missing? Doesnt the EXTREME have 2 additional ram slots and 1 additional M.2 slot? Maybe I misunderstood and the PCIE lanes are not what I am claiming but if it isnt can someone clarify?

theroc44 wrote:
So I messed with the thermal pads a bit and extended them with additional cut strips of thermal pad and it lowered the ambient temps by 15c. I know someone mentioned they swapped boards for the APEX rather than the EXTREME. I'm just curious if the PCIE 5.0 M.2 is rocking 128g/b per sec( which is at max transfer bandwidth) and at pcie 5.0 8x a GPU is rocking 64g/b per sec, why does that matter? At 8x and 64 gigs transfer rate, a 3080ti cant even hit 20gigs transfer rate, "the GeForce RTX 3080 Ti has 10,240 CUDA cores and carries 12GB of GDDR6X memory featuring a 19 GT/s data transfer rate as well as a 384-bit interface." https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-gets-geekbenched#:~:text=Based%20on%20t....
Other than the fact the 2nd pcie slot is disabled on the extreme when using a 5.0 m.2, why is the APEX better? What am I missing? Doesnt the EXTREME have 2 additional ram slots and 1 additional M.2 slot? Maybe I misunderstood and the PCIE lanes are not what I am claiming but if it isnt can someone clarify?

I switched from the Extreme to the Apex.

To be clear, I'm not saying the Apex is better. The Extreme has a lot more features, and if you don't use the M.2_1 slot there is no bandwidth sharing. You can use 2x NVME drives in M.2_2 and M.2_3 and run your video card at 16x.

I switched to the Apex mostly because I feel the Extreme is overpriced and I wasn't using a lot of the extra features it has. The Apex appears to get beta BIOSes faster than the Extreme (which makes sense since the Apex is targeted at OC enthusiasts pushing the limits of the hardware). I also like that the Apex uses SMD capacitors vs. metallic capacitors, because I've had metallic capacitors fail on me.

Finally, it's a small thing, but I like the jumbo QLED on the Apex. The Extreme's shielding makes it difficult to see it's QLED at an angle.

Overall, the Extreme is still an awesome motherboard if money is no object and you're using all the extra features it has.