cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone else getting this sort of variation of individual core temps on the 12900K?

Adrian1983
Level 11
I know temps can't all be equal simply because of convex IHS's and coolers not meeting properly but weirdly and I have never seen this before my middle cores are cooler than the outside cores which I find bizarre quite honestly, The middle cores on my chips have always been a tad warmer because of surrounding cores.

Although I did notice in Core temp some P Cores keep switching off and the clocks and temps go to 0??? Why are P Cores being switched off? I'd have thought it would have been the E Cores not the P Cores, There is always going to be that lag because some of the faster cores keep switching off
I'd rather keep the faster cores on if possible and if anyone knows it would be very helpful.90880
19 REPLIES 19

theroc44
Level 9
Yes im getting the exact same thing on my 12900k.

Adrian1983
Level 11
I don't get it at all, almost all my P cores park at some point and not a single E Core parks at all.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Adrian1983 wrote:
I know temps can't all be equal simply because of convex IHS's and coolers not meeting properly but weirdly and I have never seen this before my middle cores are cooler than the outside cores which I find bizarre quite honestly, The middle cores on my chips have always been a tad warmer because of surrounding cores.

Although I did notice in Core temp some P Cores keep switching off and the clocks and temps go to 0??? Why are P Cores being switched off? I'd have thought it would have been the E Cores not the P Cores, There is always going to be that lag because some of the faster cores keep switching off
I'd rather keep the faster cores on if possible and if anyone knows it would be very helpful.90880

Hello,

What makes you think they're switching off as opposed to it simply being a polling error?
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

What makes you think they're switching off as opposed to it simply being a polling error?

Hi,

Windows task manager reports exactly the same thing most cores are parked, Here's an example of 1 core but multiple are the same in the task manager I can only highlight one because of the mouse pointer.

This is happening to me too in HWMonitor with 12900K...this reminds of of a time when I had a old i7 and was hearing random beeps for the MB by the speaker and was troubleshoot with the MB support team we nailed it down to CPU TEMP alarm and C3/C6/C7 State Support (I think it was) from Auto to enable because Turbo Boost only fully worked when C3/C6/C7 State Support was enabled. It turned out to be a bug or way CPU was made by Intel that the temp was reading wrong causing these random beeps! So I disabled CPU TEMP alarm.

Yeah, I'm seeing the same thing even under heavier load. But I think that's to be expected, these chips are big, the cores are big, and there's bound to be quality differences.

neurokirurgi wrote:
Yeah, I'm seeing the same thing even under heavier load. But I think that's to be expected, these chips are big, the cores are big, and there's bound to be quality differences.

Hello,

A core temp variance of up to 15c is not uncommon on past varients and there's no reason why Alderlake would be any different.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Some variation is normal, but if it gets higher you should check your mounting pressure and thermal paste.
Depending on the cooler the plate could also be concave or convex which results in slightly changed temps.

That's my 12900k with the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 (and thermal grizzly)

BigJohnny
Level 13
One thing Ive learned with X299 and different blocks is no two IHSs are the same, not even the same SKU. Its about finding the best block for your IHS. Sometimes you get lucky and others you dont. my 10980XE works best with en EK magnitude with their flat cold plate that isnt quite flat and a very thin application of TIM. I use kryonaught and torque it snug but not all the way home then heat it up and after torque the crap out of it. My temps are spread out a little but hottest to coldest is 8C. Other blocks it went out as far as 15C.