Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by BobVul View Post
    Thanks. Hopefully that gets somewhere.

Unfortunately, I could not get the issue to repro via an app created in .NET (using any of WaveOut, DirectSounr or WASAPI output APIs). So Firefox is still my only way of reliably reproducing the issue while on the latest drivers.

On the plus side, my issue with the Realtek service chewing up CPU seems to be resolved after the full driver purge and reinstall.

I've found an extra SSD, I can try to chuck a clean Windows install on there. Will likely still be after the new year though.
    Hey BobVul, I was at the Z590 thread of the same audio issue and I missed your post on that thread until just now. I can confirm your Stereo Mix workaround worked for me as well. Previously I left Spotify minimised as a workaround but the stereo mix workaround seems to be simpler. I just want to ask: in your post on the Z590 thread you mentioned about setting the volume to zero. Is that necessary? Any downside that you can think of if I just leave as is? My worry is that if I set it to zero I would forget about it and this may come back to bite me in the future and I would have no idea that this may be causing an issue.

And from the number of posts you have made I don't think you should oblige yourself to any further testing on Asus' behalf. We are the customers. We don't pay that amount of money to test something for the manufacturer that we have just paid. We can provide feedbacks and do some simple tweaks if they are steps that are simple enough, but our time is valuable. Honestly, I found it hard to believe that Asus said they couldn't reproduce the problem. For some reasons I can't stop the phrase "merry chase" and "running in circle" from popping in my head.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan_Drake View Post
    in your post on the Z590 thread you mentioned about setting the volume to zero. Is that necessary? Any downside that you can think of if I just leave as is?
    It's only necessary because looping stereo mix back to the speaker output would otherwise create an echo. At the moment I have the stereo mix output muted instead (via the mute button on the Levels tab, next to the volume level) for the same effect.

There are also a couple other programs suggested by SneakyLittleman that might work. Personally, I like the stereo mix approach since that avoids needing to install/maintain yet another program. SneakyLittleman's post is here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ge3#post850921

And from the number of posts you have made I don't think you should oblige yourself to any further testing on Asus' behalf. We are the customers. We don't pay that amount of money to test something for the manufacturer that we have just paid. We can provide feedbacks and do some simple tweaks if they are steps that are simple enough, but our time is valuable. Honestly, I found it hard to believe that Asus said they couldn't reproduce the problem. For some reasons I can't stop the phrase "merry chase" and "running in circle" from popping in my head.
    I'm certainly not happy about doing this, and I wish I could just leave it ... but it annoys me. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what other options I have aside from returning the board and going with another brand, but the other big brands also seem to use the same ALC4082 codec in their higher end boards.

Actually, while you're around, is there any chance you could give the steps in https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ge3#post851587 a quick run through? With all workarounds disabled? Don't bother if it's too much trouble, but it might help to have reproducible evidence from someone with a different setup from mine.

e: Seems Gigabyte still uses a ALC1220 on some of their boards, interesting...
    Last edited by BobVul; 01-06-2022 at 06:00 AM.

ROG Member Array

Actually, while you're around, is there any chance you could give the steps in https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ge3#post851587 a quick run through? With all workarounds disabled? Don't bother if it's too much trouble, but it might help to have reproducible evidence from someone with a different setup from mine.
    I can confirm that when pressing the button for the first time in Firefox the notification sound is completely missed; it's only when you press it the second time that you would hear the sound. You will also hear the sound on all subsequent presses. However, if you close the window and open one anew you will miss the sound from the first press again.

In my post on the Z590 thread I have noted another way to reproduce the issue: go to Windows sound setting, under File Explorer turn on the default sound for Start Navigation. You should hear a "click" sound every time you double click on a folder. Except you won't if you are using the S/PIDF on the Z690-E. The wakeup lag means that you would miss that "click" sound 100% of the time.

I don't believe it's that difficult to reproduce the issue. At some points it starts to strain credulity by continuing to give the benefits of the doubt.

I'm aware of these other programs after visiting these threads. My main concern with installing things for the fix is that somewhere down the line these fixes could create conflicts with something else one way or the other. And like I said in my previous post, it's the sort of things that you tend to forget you have done. And because it's not something that's commonly installed, when these conflicts appear you would be at wit's end and be depressed for hours on end trying to figuring out why you seem to be the only one on this planet that is seeing a problem.

That's not so much of an issue with the Stereo Mix fix. I also don't seem to notice any echo even without setting the volume to zero; but I'll try to keep that in mind in case something comes up.

I also noted in my Z590 post that I used to daily drive my SPDIF on my Z370-E, and that was absolutely rock solid. It should have been the one advantage going with SPDIF instead of HDMI, due to its simplicity thus things tend to "just work". Well, I guess I must have been living under a rock.

I should also note that HDMI on nvidia cards at least also suffer from the same wakeup lag problem. It's something that can only be fixed (as far as I am aware) by a registry hack. And the value you change in registry for the fix on HDMI? "Power Settings": https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...ince-/2019857/

ROG Member Array

I can confirm that when pressing the button for the first time in Firefox the notification sound is completely missed; it's only when you press it the second time that you would hear the sound. You will also hear the sound on all subsequent presses. However, if you close the window and open one anew you will miss the sound from the first press again.
    Thank you, that exactly matches my experience. And makes it all the more curious that Asus cannot reproduce the issue.

I have likewise had no issues on my previous Z270 board, with an older Realtek audio codec. It was a bit of a shock to run into this on the Z690 board, when I thought audio hardware was long stable. Apparently not so.

Just for extra fun, the lower-end Prime and TUF boards use S1220A and ALC 897 codecs... if those do not suffer from this issue, then that would suggest that we're actually paying extra for worse audio outcomes

I should also note that HDMI on nvidia cards at least also suffer from the same wakeup lag problem. It's something that can only be fixed (as far as I am aware) by a registry hack. And the value you change in registry for the fix on HDMI? "Power Settings": https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...ince-/2019857/
    That matches some speculation I've seen in other forum threads, that it's overly aggressive power saving that's causing this. It seems that previous Realtek drivers may have at least had this configurable via registry entries etc., but that's no longer the case in recent versions?

If it is power saving, it seems to me that the easy answer would be to have a toggle to disable power saving entirely. It won't help laptop users, but at the very least we shouldn't be suffering significant bugs just in the name of power saving on high end desktop boards, where the CPU+GPU probably idles at least an order of magnitude higher than the audio hardware anyway.

But we're at the mercy of Realtek/Asus for any driver or firmware changes :\

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by STARRAIN@ROG View Post
    Hi BobVul,
    Because our tech team have tested with new windows installed, but didn't reproduce the issue.
    Could you please backup your personal files and reinstall windows to see if it still occurs without other apps?
    Thank you.
    I can now confirm that the issue still occurs via the Firefox repro method, on a completely new installation of Windows 11, both with the default Windows audio drivers and the v2307 drivers provided by Asus/Realtek.

ROG Member Array

If it is power saving, it seems to me that the easy answer would be to have a toggle to disable power saving entirely.
    It may be to do with meeting whatever targets set out in whatever standards to comply with whatever regulations mandated by whatever government agencies. We, the plebs, are of course always dutiful in following whatever commands our overlords place upon us.

Moderator Array

Hi BobVul,
    Our tech team have reproduce the similar issue via your Firefox repro method, but not in chrome or edge.
    The issue is still under investigation.
    If there is news, I'll keep you updated.
    Thank you.

New ROGer Array

Just to confirm that I too am experiencing this issue on a Asus ROG Z690 Extreme under Windows 11 (Realtek USB Audio). This is a recent Windows 11 CLEAN installation.

The USB audio device seems to go to sleep almost as soon as a sound stops playing and by the time it wakes up with a new sound it already missed part of it (and there is a distinctive delay for it to "wake up"). Because of this, if the sound is very short you don't even get to hear it.

NOTHING to do with Firefox as I am experiencing this on 3rd party applications, although I do use that browser here.

Moderator Array

Hi JcRabbit,
    Does the issue still occur when enable Listen to this device in Stereo Mix?
    Does it occur on bios 1101 with bios all default settings?
    Have you updated Realtek USB Audio Driver V6.3.9600.2307 and ALC4080/ALC4082 audio FW update from our support site?
    https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/ro.../helpdesk_bios
    Which app do you use when encounter the issue?
    May I have a video about missing part of sound?
    Thank you.

Moderator Array

Hi BobVul,
    After checked with our tech team, the audio signal processing in firefox is different from other browser.
    Once the motherboard model(not only ASUS) is applied the audio solution, there is the same issue with firefox.
    Thank you.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast