cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG MAXIMUS XIII HERO: SATA AHCI mode VS Intel RST Premium with Intel Optane RAID

74lobster
Level 10
Hi to everyone, I own an ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XIII HERO with Z590 chipset, just a question: is it convenient to switch from SATA AHCI mode to Intel RST Premium with Intel Optane system accelerator RAID ?

Now I have Windows 11 Professional installed and I am in AHCI mode: how should I go to Intel RST Premium with Intel Optane system accelerator RAID mode without having to reinstall the operating system again ?

- Is it convenient ? I mean will the system speed up and go faster ?
- Is it possible to build a RAID system, with only 1 drive (just to enable the Optane system accelerator) ?

This is my configuration:

- Intel i9 11900K processor
- ONE Samsung 980 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD 2 TB (no RAID installed)
- ONE Seagate IronWolf Pro, 4 TB, Hard Disk SATA da 6 GBit/s, HDD, CMR 3,5" 7.200 RPM, Cache da 128 MB (no RAID installed).

Thanks in advance to who will answer me.
74lobster
4 REPLIES 4

Saltgrass
Level 13
74lobster wrote:
Hi, now I own a mobo ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XIII HERO with Z590 chipset.

Is it convenient to switch from SATA AHCI mode to Intel RST Premium with Intel Optane system accelerator (RAID) ?

Now I have Windows 11 Professional installed and I am in AHCI mode: how should I go to Intel RST Premium with Intel Optane system accelerator (RAID) mode without having to reinstall the operating system again ?

Is it convenient ?
I mean will the system will speed up ?

Now I own:

- ONE Samsung 980 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD 2 TB (no RAID installed)
- ONE Seagate IronWolf Pro, 4 TB, Hard Disk SATA da 6 GBit/s, HDD, CMR 3,5" 7.200 RPM, Cache da 128 MB (no RAID installed).

Thanks in advance to who will answer me.

You would only need to revert to RAID if you wanted to run the Intel Optane Memory. AHCI will probably be a little faster but I haven't tested the newer systems. I also haven't tested with PCIe 4 which you can get with the 11th Gen Processors.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
You would only need to revert to RAID if you wanted to run the Intel Optane Memory. AHCI will probably be a little faster but I haven't tested the newer systems. I also haven't tested with PCIe 4 which you can get with the 11th Gen Processors.

Thanks a lot for the answer, I own an Intel 11900K processor.

My question is: passing from AHCI to Raid Optane, will speed up my system?

How is possible to do a raid configuration with only one drive?

Anyway how I can switch from AHCI to Raid Optane without re-installing the operating systems?

I have already installed Windows 11 professional, stable version.

Could you guide me step by step to make the change from AHCI to Raid Optane (if convenient)?

Thanks in advance.
74lobster

It will not speed up your system.

If you don't have Intel Optane memory installed, no need to switch.

Because of the differences between this system and others I have used the msconfig.exe process on, I cannot guarantee you would not have some problems.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

elstano2k7
Level 7
Back in the day RAID was a necessary feature when using mechanical hard disks. RAID setup requires at least 2 identical drives. RAID 0 for performance and RAID 1 for data redundancy. Personal experieence using SSD drives and having them setup as a RAID setup didn't have any real world performance. Anyways I would just recommend leaving drives in AHCI if using SSD. RAID 0 setup for mechanical drives. Just remember if you have updated the driver in windows from AHCI to RST Intel RAID driver you wont be able to fall back on the original AHCI driver as it will cause Windows will fail to boot.