Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathier View Post
    I hope I have managed to "solve" my issue for now.

I rebuild back into the ASUS -F Gaming WIFI as I did not have any more luck with the GB board and went to a local computer store and bought a normal SSD 1TB.

This is the most ridiculous fix I have ever applied to next gen hardware...... A 550ishMbps drive instead of my 7000/5000/3500 drives. Back to 2013 it seems.

ASUS what is going on? Do you acknowledge something is super strange with the NVMe?

More and more people joins this thread with same issues with new drives, replaced drives, different brands etc etc. A few have been lucky and got a drive to work, but will it work in 2 months? I highly doubt that.

Let me be completely honest: This is NOT acceptable. Now I have a drive more I honestly neither care for nor wanted, but I need a PC so I honestly only had two choices: Buy an old computer so I have a computer or a SATA SSD with some space.

We need a fix.
    So I installed my OS in a normal 4TB 2.5” SSD. It will boot but if it downloads and installs drivers (with the NVMEs installed), it will crash again. ASUS has the easiest fix but refuse to acknowledge the problem. Â*Â*

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Medwynd View Post
    EDIT:
    ASUS has recognized this as an official issue:

Possible solutions for this issue can be accomplished in one of two ways, both involve turning off PCI Express power management.
    1. In windows go to Power Options and change the plan setting to High Performance . You may also be able to just go to the advanced settings and change Link State Power Management to "off"
    2. In the BIOS set PCI Express Native Power Management to disabled instead of auto

Trying to track down is this is an issue with the motherboard, the nvme drive, or drivers.

Using windows 11 on a Hero Z690 with a WD sn850 nvme drive.

Occasionally the drive will appear, sometimes it will take a reboot, sometimes it will appear then disappear. Getting these types of error an warning events:

After rebooting I see
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger
    Description: A corrected hardware error has occurred.
    Component: PCI Express Root Port
    Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)
    Primary Device Name:PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_7AB4&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_11
    On my Z690 ROG Extreme I was having the Windows Event Log literally *flooded* with WHEA error 17 errors. One per second at least.

In my case it was PCI Express Root Port 7ABB that had the problem, and apparently there might be a THIRD way to fix this (depending on what is connected to that root port).

I went to Windows Device Manager -> System -> Selected the affected root port

Then selected View at the top of Device Manager and 'Devices by connection'. This allowed me to see what was connected to this root hub.

In my case it was a T-FORCE 1TB SATA SSD that was connected to the SATA6G_E1/E2 controller. I rebooted and moved the SATA drive to another SATA port/controller but that did not fix the problem. I then disabled the SATA controller in Device Manager and that seemed to help but did not stop the errors.

Since I didn't need those two SATA ports and nothing else seemed to be connected to the problematic Root Port, I simply disabled the Root Port in Device Manager.

That fixed it without having to meddle with Power Management settings.

Also, I have two Gen 3 970 2TB EVO Plus NVMe drives in my DIMM.2 and a 2TB Gen4 Seagate Firecuda 530 in M2.2. Did NOT experience any problems with drives disconnecting, NOT even when the SATA drive was connected to the problematic root port.

Those errors happening at least once per second were literally KILLING the flash cells in my brand new 2TB Firecuda 530, which is only 1/8 full with stuff. In a handful of days of being powered on the drive was already reporting nearly 2 TB (!!!!) of writes.

New ROGer Array

So if you did not have them in your dimm.2 what would occur?Â*

This what was done and still have no success:

I agree, I tried for like 12 hours, I even removed the top nvme drive and tried booting just to the bottom drive. Then I even installed windows on the new 4tb sata drive. Windows boots fine to the sata drive, but as soon as chipset drivers are installed and it sees the nvme it crashes. Safe mode boots fine and sees all drives (no drivers) so clearly it’s the chipset drivers or a bios issue. Honestly if you call asus they won’t admit it, they will just replace the board and you’ll have the same issues. So the only option is to wait for a driver/bios update or get a different board.

I pick up my computer tomorrow. I’m sure i won’t be to game on it without crashes..Â*

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by ProJewks View Post
    So if you did not have them in your dimm.2 what would occur?Â*
    I don't know. But remember I have a Gen 4 Seagate Firecuda 530 on the motherboard itself, and it's working fine. ZERO problems with all my NVMe and SATA drives so far (knock on wood).

One thing that came to my mind while reading the posts here is that some seem to be using 4 DIMMs of DDR5. I think it's already general knowledge (and please pardon me if I am being Captain Obvious, I'm brand new to Z690) that 4 DIMMS of DDR5 is a no-no if you are using XPM settings, right? Use 2 DIMMs only and memory instability issues all disappear.

New ROGer Array Jimbo93 PC Specs
    Jimbo93 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ABS Master Gaming PC
    MotherboardASUS Prime B560M-A AC
    ProcessorINTEL i5 10400F
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL F4-3200C16D-16GVKB x 2
    Graphics Card #1ASUS DUAL-RTX3060TI-O8G-V2
    Sound CardRealTek HD
    MonitorSAMSUNG 40" LCD
    Storage #1INTEL 660p NVMe SSD PEKNW512GB
    CPU CoolerTHERMALTAKE UX100 ARGB
    CaseTUF GAMING GT301
    Power SupplyASUS TUF GAMING BRONZE 650W
    Keyboard TUF GAMING K1
    Mouse TUF GAMING M3
    Headset/Speakers Cambridge Works PC
    OS Win 11 Pro 21H2 22000.652
    Accessory #1 Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.652.0

Quote Originally Posted by JcRabbit View Post
    I don't know. But remember I have a Gen 4 Seagate Firecuda 530 on the motherboard itself, and it's working fine. ZERO problems with all my NVMe and SATA drives so far (knock on wood).

One thing that came to my mind while reading the posts here is that some seem to be using 4 DIMMs of DDR5. I think it's already general knowledge (and please pardon me if I am being Captain Obvious, I'm brand new to Z690) that 4 DIMMS of DDR5 is a no-no if you are using XPM settings, right? Use 2 DIMMs only and memory instability issues all disappear.
    There are things/variables that can be eliminated like you suggest. I also liked the way you disabled devices in device manager. If it is possible to get these boards and drives working, it would be using tricks like that until the device that's causing trouble is eliminated. Installing minimum hardware/software to begin with etc. It's a science project.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo93 View Post
    There are things/variables that can be eliminated like you suggest. I also liked the way you disabled devices in device manager. If it is possible to get these boards and drives working, it would be using tricks like that until the device that's causing trouble is eliminated. Installing minimum hardware/software to begin with etc. It's a science project.
    I have not encountered issues with any SATA drives as I normally don't use SATA drives and only had to buy one to get a working PC.

My brand new sealed Gigabyte AORUS NVMe I bought as I thought that would sort my issues - seen in plastic here from 2 days ago was not even able to install Windows as the following error came during transfer of files from the USB to the drive: 0x800701b1.

For the benefit of the doubt I created a new USB and then a new and a new. With exactly the same problem at exactly the same time: 27% copied. Around the time the data writes to the disk.

As that could have been poor unlucky and the drive was faulty even that it was sealed, expensive and brand new I took my other Z690 motherboard from Gigabyte and hurray I could install Windows etc on that.

As there are NO drivers besides BIOS at this time, this is not a Windows issue.

So that can be elimnated.

Also trial and error are ok. We all like that, it's fun the first month.

But clearly all here has the same issues, but a few different fixes can get you stable - hell I was almost stable 2 days - 48 hours uptime before it started ****ing up. - Just went I bought the board the only thing I had installed and played was COD: Vanguard and without any software or anything except drivers it seemed stable for a few days. Until my first crash and I found this post.

Again: This is not acceptable and doesn't explain anything for us not even reaching Windows.

Normally I would say my ROG board was faulty. But I have two of them with same errors and I can't just keep replacing the board "hoping that something magically are changed". Because the fundamental issues behind this issues are still there hiddin on the board itself.

So without ASUS acknowledging this problem, we as end users are forced to keep swapping drives until we are lucky enough to get one there works.

The next drive I have incoming are a Samsung 980 PRO Gen4. Perhaps that by some miracle will work.

--------------------------------

Current uptime: 16 hours 30 min.

All drivers installed.

All game launcher installed.

All my fundamental software installed.

Forza 5, Injustice 2, Rush: A Disney Pixar Adventure, Devil May Cry 5 installed.

Disk: 1 1TB SATA SSD from Kingston. 0 NVMe drives.
    Last edited by Wrathier; 02-02-2022 at 11:20 AM.

Jimbo93 PC Specs
    ProcessorINTEL i5 10400F
    Sound CardRealTek HD
    MonitorSAMSUNG 40" LCD
    CaseTUF GAMING GT301
    Keyboard TUF GAMING K1
    Mouse TUF GAMING M3

Wrathier, No one would wish for your situation, lol. But Asus or anyone wanting to advise can better understand with some of these details. For example, I recall asking if you had any issues encountered while installing the OS in a PM. One thing that has been bugging me is that I think if I understand correctly, that VMD is on by default on some of these boards. Is it a hint that the chipset has an issue? I assume, and maybe Wrathier can confirm, that a driver has to be supplied during the windows installation just so windows can see the drive and install to it? But if VMD is turned off then that would not be required. Is that not correct?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Wrathier, No one would wish for your situation, lol. But Asus or anyone wanting to advise can better understand with some of these details. For example, I recall asking if you had any issues encountered while installing the OS in a PM. One thing that has been bugging me is that I think if I understand correctly, that VMD is on by default on some of these boards. Is it a hint that the chipset has an issue? I assume, and maybe Wrathier can confirm, that a driver has to be supplied during the windows installation just so windows can see the drive and install to it? But if VMD is turned off then that would not be required. Is that not correct?
    Hi mate 😀 *

Yes VMD are turned on by default. And that is correct in regards to the driver. Back in the old days you sometimes needed a media with the driver to even initialise the drive.*

That part are automatically these days.*

I have tested if my pc would run ok both with and without VMD.

That I couldn’t even install on my new NVMe drive was just crazy.

I did however not test to disable VMD. I could test it though as removing sata is very easy compared to insert and remove NVMe drives all the time. *

Jimbo93 PC Specs
    ProcessorINTEL i5 10400F
    Sound CardRealTek HD
    MonitorSAMSUNG 40" LCD
    CaseTUF GAMING GT301
    Keyboard TUF GAMING K1
    Mouse TUF GAMING M3

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathier View Post
    Hi mate 😀 Â*

Yes VMD are turned on by default. And that is correct in regards to the driver. Back in the old days you sometimes needed a media with the driver to even initialise the drive.Â*

That part are automatically these days.Â*

I have tested if my pc would run ok both with and without VMD.

That I couldn’t even install on my new NVMe drive was just crazy.

I did however not test to disable VMD. I could test it though as removing sata is very easy compared to insert and remove NVMe drives all the time. Â*
    Hello Wrathier. So my next question and I think maybe Asus tech should help. If the automatically installed driver for VMD mode could be altered manually at the point of starting installation, could that be helpful. I thought I found something about needing to supply a driver on some Z690 gigabyte mobo. But this earlier and my memory is foggy.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Hello Wrathier. So my next question and I think maybe Asus tech should help. If the automatically installed driver for VMD mode could be altered manually at the point of starting installation, could that be helpful. I thought I found something about needing to supply a driver on some Z690 gigabyte mobo. But this earlier and my memory is foggy.
    I think we can't do much more than wait for Starrin@ROG or someone no annonce that this is officially an issue.

However say what you want, but it does look cool

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	272851314_926681394653486_5430583526979612697_n.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	92002

I'm of course also trying to figure out why the h... my Gigabyte board are experiencing issues and some says this helps:

Some things to make sure it works:> disable secure boot/set it to "Other OS"> disable CSM compatibility> DISABLE VMD UNDER SYSTEM SETTINGS

Worth a try?
    Last edited by Wrathier; 02-02-2022 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Posting a solution.

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast