Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Hero Z690 having issues with getting windows errors and nvme drive not working

EDIT:
    ASUS has recognized this as an official issue:
    Hi all,
    For WHEA 17 error, our tech team have reported it and co-work with Intel.
    If there is any news, I'll keep updated.
    Thank you.
    Possible solutions for this issue can be accomplished in one of two ways, both involve turning off PCI Express power management.
    1. In windows go to Power Options and change the plan setting to High Performance . You may also be able to just go to the advanced settings and change Link State Power Management to "off"
    2. In the BIOS set PCI Express Native Power Management to disabled instead of auto

Trying to track down is this is an issue with the motherboard, the nvme drive, or drivers.

Using windows 11 on a Hero Z690 with a WD sn850 nvme drive.

Occasionally the drive will appear, sometimes it will take a reboot, sometimes it will appear then disappear. Getting these types of error an warning events:

After rebooting I see
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger
    Description: A corrected hardware error has occurred.
    Component: PCI Express Root Port
    Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)
    Primary Device Name:PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_7AB4&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_11

Looking in device manager I see that Intel PCI Express Root Port #13 - 7AB4
    Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_7AB4&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_11\3&115 83659&0&EC had a problem starting.

Then later
    Source: stornvme
    Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort3, was issued.

Source: stornvme
    The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort3.

Followed by some warning errors on the source disk such as ntfs unable to flush data etc. presumably because the drive no longer has connection or is in some otherwise bad state.

I'm using the latest drivers from the support page for the chipset and everything else.

Any ideas where to start with this? I'm not sure if I have a bad motherboard, a bad nvme drive or possibly just some bad drivers.
    Last edited by Medwynd; 12-23-2021 at 05:14 PM.

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ROG's Avatar

WHEA will be system instability-related. I'm assuming the CPU or memory is overclocked? This includes XMP memory profiles.

New ROGer Array

SN850 errors

I too have an issue with Windows 11 + Z690 hero and SN850 2tb in the lower PCI4.0 m.2 slot not detecting sometimes in windows.
    Sometime I need to restart to get drive to detect.
    My main drive is also a SN850 1TB and I have 0 issues with it.
    I think this is a Bios issue.

Happened on Bios 803 also happened when I first installed windows 11 on Bios 702.
    XMP 1 enabled.
    I also get a WHEA-Logger Error Event ID 1 hardware failure, but seem to have 0 issues in windows, not sure that is even related.
    This Error only happens from cold boot.
    0 issues in device manager.
    Last edited by Juice2643; 12-10-2021 at 02:38 PM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Scone@ROG View Post
    WHEA will be system instability-related. I'm assuming the CPU or memory is overclocked? This includes XMP memory profiles.
    No overclock on the cpu, ai tuner is disabled, but yes using XMP1 on my memory.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Juice2643 View Post
    I too have an issue with Windows 11 + Z690 hero and SN850 2tb in the lower PCI4.0 m.2 slot not detecting sometimes in windows.
    Sometime I need to restart to get drive to detect.
    My main drive is also a SN850 1TB and I have 0 issues with it.
    I think this is a Bios issue.

Happened on Bios 803 also happened when I first installed windows 11 on Bios 702.
    XMP 1 enabled.
    I also get a WHEA-Logger Error Event ID 1 hardware failure, but seem to have 0 issues in windows, not sure that is even related.
    This Error only happens from cold boot.
    0 issues in device manager.
    This is my exact configuration as well. SN850 1TB in the M.2_1 socket, SN850 2TB in the M.2_3 socket. Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 on XMP1. Windows installed on the 1TB and has 0 issues. I also have a SATA SSD installed that has 0 issues.

I too am using Windows 11 on Bios 803.

I have gone into power management and set my power profile to High Performance to see if that makes the instability go away.

Reproducing the issue has been difficult, I cant seem to find what triggers it and I dont know if when windows doesnt see it if it was recognized by the BIOS at all that reboot.
    Last edited by Medwynd; 12-10-2021 at 04:43 PM.

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ROG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Medwynd View Post
    No overclock on the cpu, ai tuner is disabled, but yes using XMP1 on my memory.

Hi,

You will need to check if either stop code persists with XMP disabled, as this constitutes as overclocking

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Silentscone, I'm getting the exact same WHEA error.
    It doesn't cause crashes or instability. It's always in "7AB4" ID.
    This points to the "NVM Express driver", by searching for the matching ID in device manager.

I mentioned this to Shamino before. The common factor is this seems to be happening to most/all systems with Western Digital SN850 drives + Asus Z690 boards.
    Setting the drive to "Gen 3" on the dimm_2 stops all of these WHEA errors.

New ROGer Array

Ok, thanks for the info. Can you confirm whether that drive causes issues with AIDA64, too?

I don't have an SN850 to hand
    I'd be curious if running a CPU-Z validation triggers a WHEA error as well.

I have a very similar issue/error when I plug my Sound Blaster AE-7 into any PCIEX slot. Running a CPU-Z validation with the AE-7 installed triggers a PCIEX WHEA error. Otherwise the AE-7 is fine/stable. If I disable the PCIEX port in Device Manager, the validation runs without a problem.

Almost seems a PCIEX chipset/driver issue.
    Last edited by Silent Scone@ROG; 02-01-2022 at 08:14 AM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Ok, thanks for the info. Can you confirm whether that drive causes issues with AIDA64, too?

I don't have an SN850 to hand
    No it's completely random. The errors get logged in windows event viewer (eventvwr.msc).

It can happen if I'm sitting around doing nothing all night, drive idle at 30C with no activity at all.
    Although it's more common when I'm doing something. (That drive is my Steam drive, so it's often idle as I'm spending more time studying chess than playing something on steam).

The drive is on the dimm_2 riser along with a Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB drive. It's a 2 TB SN850 I bought earlier this summer.

No problems whatsoever with it set to Gen 3, no WHEA's. Only when it's set to "Auto" or "Gen 4".
    Last edited by Silent Scone@ROG; 02-01-2022 at 08:14 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

OMG I'm so happy I found this post. I use an ASUS STRIX Z690 -F Gaming Wifi with a 1TB WD SN850 as main drive.

My other drive a 2TB Samsung 960 PRO m.2 has been acting up in different ports on the mobo. For example I get the exact same WHEA error:

Source: Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger
    Description: A corrected hardware error has occurred.
    Component: PCI Express Root Port
    Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)
    Primary Device Name:PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_7AB4&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_11

As I'm dealing with random crashes, bsods etc etc I have removed the drive today fearing it might be broken. I think now that it has to do with BIOS/drivers due to others having similar issues and a fix will soon come. Perhaps ASUS are already working on it or perhaps they see this posts.

Another thing I couldn't do before removing the drive was copy large amount of data from my SN850 to my Samsung or vice versa. It would just stop at 0% transferring and the error would come.

There seems to be some serious bugs to sort out on this new platform. That's a little annoying honestly.

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast