Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathier View Post
    OMG I'm so happy I found this post. I use an ASUS STRIX Z690 -F Gaming Wifi with a 1TB WD SN850 as main drive.

My other drive a 2TB Samsung 960 PRO m.2 has been acting up in different ports on the mobo. For example I get the exact same WHEA error:

Source: Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger
    Description: A corrected hardware error has occurred.
    Component: PCI Express Root Port
    Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)
    Primary Device Name:PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_7AB4&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_11

As I'm dealing with random crashes, bsods etc etc I have removed the drive today fearing it might be broken. I think now that it has to do with BIOS/drivers due to others having similar issues and a fix will soon come. Perhaps ASUS are already working on it or perhaps they see this posts.

Another thing I couldn't do before removing the drive was copy large amount of data from my SN850 to my Samsung or vice versa. It would just stop at 0% transferring and the error would come.

There seems to be some serious bugs to sort out on this new platform. That's a little annoying honestly.
    This precise WHEA error (Device ID 7AB4) can be fixed by setting PCI Express Native Power Management---to disabled in the advanced PCI Express settings.
    It's unclear at this point if this is a BIOS issue, a windows issue or a chipset issue. I do not know if it will address other errors.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
    This precise WHEA error (Device ID 7AB4) can be fixed by setting PCI Express Native Power Management---to disabled in the advanced PCI Express settings.
    It's unclear at this point if this is a BIOS issue, a windows issue or a chipset issue. I do not know if it will address other errors.
    Ok so a little update to my case. I removed the drive and my PC was stable in PRIME95 for 12 hours and stable in MEMTEST86 for 12 hours. Haven't had a single crash of any kind. I run my Fury Beast 5200 XMP2 and no AI OC as that gives me issues currently.

Since my PC had been running so good, I took a gaming session for 4 hours in Forza Horizon 5 and that always crash with the slightest issue. No crash at all.

I then decided since the machine could be deemed pretty stable after torture tests etc etc and installed the Samsung 960 PRO again. Instantly my Windows started to crash and gave me different blue screens. I was like... f....

I then went into BIOS and set everything possible to PCIE Gen 3 and hoped that would solve the issue. It didn't. Still crashes upon crashes.

I was still able to recreate the WHEA error very easy, just by copying something from D: to C: or vice versa.

Now I'm stable again, but ONLY after I removed the Samsung drive again.

Now I'm a bit torn, because I can't really afford a WD 850 1TB more, but I'm pretty tempted to sell the 2TB Samsung 960 PRO and buy a SN drive more and run RAID as this is ridiculous.

I'm wondering how many there like me thinks it's a hardware error such as ram, cpu, mobo etc. My last thought was my freaking hard drive.

2 days I spend before I found the solution and that was in my case to remove the drive.

Now I'm not sure at all when I can expect to be able to INSERT the drive again and use it. Thankfully I don't have anything critical on that drive besides LEGO Avengers and Marvel Superheroes for my kid...

Please keep us posted about progress in this matter.

ROG Enthusiast Array JeffroMan PC Specs
    JeffroMan PC Specs
    MotherboardZ690 Maximus Hero
    Processori9-12900KF- Alder Lake
    Memory (part number)Corsair DDR5 CMT32GX5M2B5200C38
    Graphics Card #1Asus RTX 2060 OC Strix
    Sound CardIntegrated Audio
    MonitorAsus ROG XG349C
    Storage #1Samsung 1TB EVO 860 SSD
    Storage #2Samsung 1TB 980 Pro NVME 4.0 SSD
    CPU CoolerCorsair iCue H115i Elite Capellix
    CaseCorsair Carbide Series Air540
    Power SupplyEVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
    Keyboard ROG Strix Flare
    Mouse ROG Chakram Core
    Headset Corsair Virtuoso RGB Wireless XT T-Pain Edition
    Mouse Pad ROG gaming mat
    OS Windows 11 Home 64 bit

I too am getting numerous corrected hardware errors reported by the WHEA Logger. I am running the latest Windows 11 update. Z690 Maximus Hero with 0803 BIOS and the latest chipset driver from Intel posted on the Mobo's Asus support page (version 10.1.18838.8284).

This occurs whether if I'm overclocking the cpu or not / XMP enabled or disabled. My error message always refers to PCI Express Root Port #2, hardware i.d. 7ab9, vendor 8086 which is Intel. These errors do not seem to be causing any problems.

For my boot drive I am using a Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD installed in the M.2_1 socket (the one next to the cpu socket). I received those errors before and after I updated the firmware on that drive. I've been receiving those errors before I was using Intel Rapid Storage. Now I'm using Intel Rapid Storage and how often I get that error has not seemed to change.

I've noticed after restarting Windows 11 the amount of these errors is considerably less than after turning on the system after it's been off. Chipset driver issue, BIOS issue?

Also does anyone know how I can determine what the system is using the PCI Express Root Port #2 for?
    Last edited by JeffroMan; 12-19-2021 at 06:58 PM. Reason: made it easier to read

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by JeffroMan View Post
    I too am getting numerous corrected hardware errors reported by the WHEA Logger. I am running the latest Windows 11 update. Z690 Maximus Hero with 0803 BIOS and the latest chipset driver from Intel posted on the Mobo's Asus support page (version 10.1.18838.8284).

This occurs whether if I'm overclocking the cpu or not / XMP enabled or disabled. My error message always refers to PCI Express Root Port #2, hardware i.d. 7ab9, vendor 8086 which is Intel. These errors do not seem to be causing any problems.

For my boot drive I am using a Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD installed in the M.2_1 socket (the one next to the cpu socket). I received those errors before and after I updated the firmware on that drive. I've been receiving those errors before I was using Intel Rapid Storage. Now I'm using Intel Rapid Storage and how often I get that error has not seemed to change.

I've noticed after restarting Windows 11 the amount of these errors is considerably less than after turning on the system after it's been off. Chipset driver issue, BIOS issue?

Also does anyone know how I can determine what the system is using the PCI Express Root Port #2 for?
    Did you try changing this setting in your BIOS:

PCI Express Native Power Management: To disabled (instead of auto?)

ROG Enthusiast Array JeffroMan PC Specs
    JeffroMan PC Specs
    MotherboardZ690 Maximus Hero
    Processori9-12900KF- Alder Lake
    Memory (part number)Corsair DDR5 CMT32GX5M2B5200C38
    Graphics Card #1Asus RTX 2060 OC Strix
    Sound CardIntegrated Audio
    MonitorAsus ROG XG349C
    Storage #1Samsung 1TB EVO 860 SSD
    Storage #2Samsung 1TB 980 Pro NVME 4.0 SSD
    CPU CoolerCorsair iCue H115i Elite Capellix
    CaseCorsair Carbide Series Air540
    Power SupplyEVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
    Keyboard ROG Strix Flare
    Mouse ROG Chakram Core
    Headset Corsair Virtuoso RGB Wireless XT T-Pain Edition
    Mouse Pad ROG gaming mat
    OS Windows 11 Home 64 bit

Your advice seems to be the solution for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
    Did you try changing this setting in your BIOS:

PCI Express Native Power Management: To disabled (instead of auto?)
    Thanks for the advice! I did now.

I restarted windows then went right to the UEFI. I changed that setting, booted into Windows. I only had one of those errors shortly after startup instead of about half a dozen after restarting Windows.

If starting up Windows after the system has been off, I would typically get a couple dozen or sometimes even around a hundred or more but after booting up into Windows after disabling PCI Express Native Power Management I received ZERO instances of that error! I've never received none of those errors before shortly after start up. Will continue to monitor.

Asus, is this an issue that will be addressed in the next BIOS update?

ROG Enthusiast Array

I restarted windows then went right to the UEFI. I changed that setting, booted into Windows. I only had one of those errors shortly after startup instead of about half a dozen after restarting Windows.

If starting up Windows after the system has been off, I would typically get a couple dozen or sometimes even around a hundred or more but after booting up into Windows after disabling PCI Express Native Power Management I received ZERO instances of that error! I've never received none of those errors before shortly after start up. Will continue to monitor.

I sure hope so, because I with the SN850 1TB as main and the Samsung 960 PRO as SLAVE gets into blue screens all the time. Especially annoying since it's "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED" - In other words: I can't use that for anything as it's too generic. However, as the PC runs fine with only 1 drive attached it is somehow controller/driver related.

If it isn't fixed in a few months I will have to get another board. I simply can't accept having a so expensive HDD not working.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Could you do me a favour? Transfer like 20GB from C: to D: back and forwards a few times and see if you crash? My PC starts copying the files and then it just goes to 0% speed and the error comes. If it doesn't blue screen.

Thank you.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Carlyle2020 PC Specs
    Carlyle2020 PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus XI APEX
    Processorgaming9900ks@5.2/avx 0/ adaptive vcore / 1.35+0.020 offs/LLC5/ac ll 0.01/TVB off/power saving on
    Memory (part number)Gskill 4400 CL16 /65k r /65k w / 60k c
    Graphics Card #13080 ftw ultra /pads on backplate
    Sound CardXonar STXII mods:3xLME 49720NA
    MonitorLG 38GL950G / -HDR / +madVR
    Storage #12TB 970evo plus nvme
    Storage #21TB 960evo nvme +2x 1tb evo 860 hw-sata-raid
    CPU Coolerarctic freezer II 280
    CaseUnique Silverstone FT2 dampened up the wazoo V2.0
    Power SupplySeasonic TX-850
    Keyboard Cherry KC 1000 on top of a cherry MX1 for ergonomics :)
    Mouse MX Master 3
    Headset Sennheiser PC360 + Philips X2HR
    Headset/Speakers A250 / cause LG was stingy
    OS Win 10 64bit
    Network Routeryeah right...
    Accessory #1 Silverstone EBA01 headphone stand / black
    Accessory #2 radio Keyfob to turn on and off
    Accessory #3 4 bay fantec /10tb red/+scrap

Strix D4 here. Migrated Win10.

I finally raided my two wd sn850.
    Behind the raid they can't scream to the event viewer anymore.

I've got the "event 7 " bug. Like 430 times per hour.
    After the raid its Device\Harddisk2\DR2 now - my 980pro OS in the upper slot.

Besides following all deinstall and reinstall procedures i deinstalled any drvier for old hardware that was installed once but isn't now.

The only thing weird i could find is that deep in the drivers pages it seems to misinterpred my drive with a patriot usb drive i once installed which shared the same drive letter.

I can't make heads or tails out of this issue. Just that my drives are fine, even if the event viewer thinks otherwise.

ROG Member Array

To follow up on my original post, I have had zero loss of functionality from the drive ever since I changed the power profile to the high performance setting. It has been over a week now with no issues. Zero other settings, either in windows or in the bios were made. No drivers were changed in that time period. No firmwares updated. Some games were installed but that was the only change besides changing the power profile.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Medwynd View Post
    To follow up on my original post, I have had zero loss of functionality from the drive ever since I changed the power profile to the high performance setting. It has been over a week now with no issues. Zero other settings, either in windows or in the bios were made. No drivers were changed in that time period. No firmwares updated. Some games were installed but that was the only change besides changing the power profile.
    Hi mate.

Ok I will remove my GFX again and insert the drive for the 3rd time and do the BIOS change as recommended. I am already running High performance setting with the link disabled, but perhaps it will change something if I do it in BIOS. This is frustrating. I'll be back no matter what I find out.

Drive 1: WD SN850 1TB

Slave: Samsung 960 PRO 2TB.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast