cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[TUF A17 FA706IU] Problem with USB 3.1 Ports (left side)

mykhydro
Level 7
Hello everyone.

Has anyone found a fix for the USB 3.1 ports issue yet? In my case my USB 3.0 hard drive keeps intermittently disconnecting during gaming or large data read/transfers. (The same hard drive works fine on my desktop PC.) I tried all different firmware versions and nothing seems to help. I read that I could use a USB 2.0 extension cable to force fall back to USB 2.0 mode, but I don't want to limit myself to USB 2.0 speeds.

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2

Noellenchris
Level 7
mykhydro wrote:
Hello everyone.

Has anyone found a fix for the USB 3.1 ports issue yet? In my case my USB 3.0 hard drive keeps intermittently disconnecting during gaming or large data read/transfers. (The same hard drive works fine on my desktop PC.) I tried all different firmware versions and nothing seems to help. I read that I could use a USB 2.0 extension cable to force fall back to USB 2.0 mode, but I don't want to limit myself to USB 2.0 speeds.

Thanks

I have a similar issue on mine. It's always the USB C port for me. I had two of the same laptops and both disconnect when I transfer files from my Canon R5 camera. They are large files and it's actually worse at times when not using an external display. May not be related, but it seems to fail faster. Anyhow, if I use the stand USB I don't have any issues. I have more than one camera also and tried about 10 different cables and everything I can find that may help. I've had the camera for over a year. I have no issues on my desktops or other laptops. Since this happens on more than one A15 I'm hesitant to upgrade to another ASUS. Very annoying as it disconnects in the middle of transferring 1200 RAW files and videos. 😞

Chris

Thanks for your reply Noellenchris.

I believe I may have figured out my issue. It seems to have been a bad USB 3 Link/Hub setting in the Windows advanced power plan. I noticed the USB3HUB driver crashes stopped when I switched from Ultimate Performance to Power Saver, so I copied what I guessed to be relevant USB settings from the Power Saver plan over to the Ultimate Performance power plan. I now have played several games from the USB 3.0 hard drive for a few days without issue.

Possibly relevant USB settings I am using:
Hub Selective Suspend Timeout: 1000 milliseconds
USB selective suspend setting: Enabled
Setting IOC on all TDs: Disabled
USB 3 Link Power Management: Moderate Power Savings

(Note: Some or all of these settings may need to be unlocked using PowerShell or the Windows Registry)

By the way, my problem was with the bigger USB ports only. I didn't have the problem on USB C (plus a Dansrue adapter). I wish you good luck in solving your issue.