cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690 Extreme GPU Slot won't lock

OutSider420
Level 9
My 156x GPU slot, the with the new button to release the lock doesn't lock when I put my GPU in. No matter how much pressure the clip won't lock and the card can slid out all on it's own.

Is there anyway to fix this on my own or is this already an RMA?
9 REPLIES 9

pndiode
Level 11
Reads as though that One Tap, PCIe Slot Q-Release technology mechanism might not be working well on some Z690 motherboards as intended.

OutSider420
Level 9
No it doesn't appear to be working that great. Likely will be sending this in for an RMA if not a full refund and grabbing a new different board

OutSider420
Level 9
Ended up returning the board. Have an Apex coming instead, hopefully no issues with that one

Hopper64
Level 15
Have the same problem with my extreme board too. Seems to work fine regardless.
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

captaintrips
Level 7
Same issue. Using a 3090 FE. Doesn't budge or feel loose, and requires a heck of a tug to pull it out. It's screwed in and I doubt it will cause any issue. Pretty secure without it locking.

OutSider420
Level 9
I was using a 3090 KPE with a Optimus block so that thing is extra heavy. So gravity alone was enough to easily pull it loose. As I said I switched to an Apex so we'll see if it has the same issues

OutSider420
Level 9
I sent the unit back to Newegg for a return and they are now trying to claim I broke the PCIE lock and won't accept my return. Did no such thing and they are just scamming me out of my money. WTF am I going to send it to ASus for when it's not my fault only for ASUS to either charge me to fix it or not.

What a nightmare. I just know if I RMA with ASUS they will pull the same stunt and make me pay for the repairs for a part that came that way.

Never again with Newegg after this.

OutSider420 wrote:
I sent the unit back to Newegg for a return and they are now trying to claim I broke the PCIE lock and won't accept my return. Did no such thing and they are just scamming me out of my money. WTF am I going to send it to ASus for when it's not my fault only for ASUS to either charge me to fix it or not.

What a nightmare. I just know if I RMA with ASUS they will pull the same stunt and make me pay for the repairs for a part that came that way.

Never again with Newegg after this.

Asus will ship you a new Board......dont worry about it.....they're pretty good with new release HW and replacement.
Surprised Newegg is giving you some grieg.....must not be Newegg Canada as they are pretty darn good!

rjbarker wrote:
Asus will ship you a new Board......dont worry about it.....they're pretty good with new release HW and replacement.
Surprised Newegg is giving you some grieg.....must not be Newegg Canada as they are pretty darn good!

Nope was Newegg Canada. Refused to help me in anyway. I clearly explained why I was returning it and that it was defective before I got but they still chose to just blame me and send it back all without informing me of any it. I doubt I'll ever buy from them again if this is the BS they pull. Return anything defective and they will only blame you for it.

Problem is while I'll get a replacement board since I thought I returned the Extreme I went out and grabbed an Apex instead. So now I'm stuck with two Motherboards, once of which I'll have to take a loss on reselling it. Not to mention the cost of sending the Extreme back. So all in all it's a lose lose situation for me.