Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Exclamation

Oh dear.

You may want to check if the capacitor has been put on backwards!
    Going by the burnt area pictures posted... that's what they reckon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-12-28_hero_cap.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	494.6 KB 
ID:	91384

Last edited by User_od; 12-28-2021 at 02:37 PM.

ROG Junior Member Array

Capacitor appears to have been "backwards" on the failed board I had (would not pass POST and showed QCode 53 only).

Name:	PXL_20211223_220644900.jpg 
Size:	462.1 KB 
ID:	91385

ROG Enthusiast Array Brigman PC Specs
    Brigman PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero
    ProcessorCore i9 12900K
    Memory (part number)32GB Corsair Dominator 5600C36
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX970 FTW+
    Sound CardSoundBlaster ZxR
    MonitorROG Swift PG279Q, 2 x Sony TV
    Storage #1Corsair MP600 Pro XT 2TB
    Storage #2Corsair MP510 1TB + spinning disks
    CPU CoolerCorsair H115i Platinum
    CaseCustom open frame
    Power SupplyCorsair AX860i
    Keyboard Mountain Everest Max
    Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
    Headset Sennheiser HD600
    Headset/Speakers Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II
    OS Win11 Pro
    Accessory #1 Modded Logitech G27
    Accessory #2 Contour ShuttlePro
    Accessory #3 Stream Deck Mk II

Guys, electronics engineer here. I have an MZ690H and a 12900K but still awaiting RAM.

I've had my board out and powered up today to investigate this - probing that area of the board with a scopemeter to see what's going on. I can confirm that the intended polarity of that capacitor immediately above the outer RAM slot should be with the stripe toward the outer side of the board and ARGB header - so on the right when looking at the board with the Q-Code display uppermost.

Luckily my own board seems to be a good one. Pending more from Asus, if you have a board with the capacitor stripe on the left/toward the VRM heatsink - as in @farnsworth41's pic immediately above, it might e a good idea to discontinue using it for the time being. If this is the problem, and it certainly looks like it is, then the boards will need a recall/replacement process.

ROG Enthusiast Array

From ASUS employee in the ASUS PC DIY Facebook group:

Name:	SmartSelect_20211228-133212_Facebook.jpg 
Size:	307.6 KB 
ID:	91388

New ROGer Array JoeStang84 PC Specs
    JoeStang84 PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus Z690 Hero
    ProcessorIntel 12900k
    Memory (part number)CMT32GX5M2B5200C38
    Graphics Card #1EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra
    MonitorDual Alienware AW3418DW/AW3420DW
    Storage #12 1TB samung 980 pro NVMe
    Storage #21 Samsung 1TB 870 EVO 1 Samsung 1TB 860 EVO
    CPU CoolerXC7 RGB PRO water block/XD5 RGB pump res combo/180mmx2 + 140mm Alphacool rads
    CaseFractal Design Torrent
    Power SupplySeasonic TX-1000 80+ Titanium
    Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB Cherry MX speed
    Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro SE
    Headset Astro A40 TR + Mixamp PRO TR
    Mouse Pad EVGA Torq X10
    OS Windows 11 Pro

Orientation of cap in my board

Quote Originally Posted by User_od View Post

Oh dear.

You may want to check if the capacitor has been put on backwards!
    Going by the burnt area pictures posted... that's what they reckon.

Name:	2021-12-28_hero_cap.png 
Size:	494.6 KB 
ID:	91384

The orientation of my cap seems to be the right way. I have been running my Z690 hero fine since early November other than XMP stability issues. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1016.jpg 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	91389

New ROGer Array

Wow! Good catch from buildzoid. Let's see how Asus handles this. Jay has basically said this could be a big deal for Asus depending on how they answer it.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by farnsworth41 View Post
    I'm still sure of the actual source of the problem, but it's amazing to me how many similarities there are between this story and mine. Do you mean the the USB 3.0 connector just below the USB 3.2 connector and above the SATA ports? These pins were also bent when I received the board, but initially this seemed to cause no problems. While using the system a day later (web browsing), it shut down and every attempt to start it just resulted in Q Code 53. I've also posted this on the related reddit thread, so this is one of the original 5-6 reports there rather than another failure to add to the list.

I don't think it's actually the bent pins, but I could believe that some kind of impact to a specific location of the box could be causing problems for the board. The employees working RMA are probably not the same that design packaging, but if they get repeated evidence of this they might need to address the packaging itself.

Asus is my first choice for components and will probably continue to be, but there is some room for improvement in regards to their support for enthusiast electronics. If you hear these kinds of reports showing up, the response pretty much has to be:

- Automatically escalate any reports related to fire/smoke/popping sounds to senior management for analysis, and get those affected boards in hand for physical inspection.

- After receiving more than one report of a specific failure (Q Code 53 for example) for a product that has been released in the last 90 days, create a task to investigate potential related root causes, and notify the support team of possible trends. RMA for anyone reporting similar circumstances should be almost instant without pushing them through many troubleshooting steps.

- Subsequent reports that fit this same trend should be added to the list and RMA'd as quickly as possible to gather evidence and prevent any potential liability from failure of the related parts.

It sounds really demanding, but the costs would really be almost nothing for a company of this size to prevent reputation damage (which is happening now even if we all somehow caused this ourselves) or potential legal liability.
    Here's the pic Asus sent me back. I don't recall these pins being bent when I sent it out. More importantly they aren't touching any other pins so they are a non issue. What this means is Asus hasn't even tested my board, just done a cursory visual inspection. I've been building PC's since the days of 50 pin SCSI, I can handle a few bent pins. What I can't handle is something obviously being faulty and/or a fire hazard. No response from Asus as yet today. I disputed their repair yesterday. I mean over $700 to repair two bent pins and not address the memory issue is just ridiculous IMO.
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos M9MCKC001224YJ8.jpg  

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Nozyspy View Post
    Glad to hear that it seems to be working for you so far!

One interesting thing, on this thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/commen...d_in/?sort=new)

dapk1nmasta says: "I'm not sure if anyone has noticed, but comparing the photo of u/JayzTwoCents's working board with a few images of failed boards, it appears the large diode above the DIMM slots labeled "150 16?PY" is soldered in reverse polarity (identified by the grey stripe on the right side of the diode) on the boards that have failed."

Would you be able to check that chip on your board and take a picture to see if it is in the 'correct' orientation? it might be some evidence for his theory.
    I am attaching the original pictureClick image for larger version. 

Name:	InkedIMG_1920_LI.jpg 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	91392and the new Click image for larger version. 

Name:	InkedIMG_1921_LI.jpg 
Size:	996.5 KB 
ID:	91393.

seems like I still have the REVERSE 150

no issues with the system so far, but i haven't really put on much a load on it yet, should I start RMA? or ask ASUS support? last contact with them was on corporate hazard ticket as they wanted me to return the first mobo which I already sent back to NewEgg.

FYI i have standoffs in the back and new screws covering the board all the way, I have a meshify 2 with all standoffs (they were there before) and in the box screws so don't think it's a build issue. Can't see any touching even if the board seems to be closer to the body.
    Edit: I have sent this information on the open ticket I have as well. Waiting on reply.
    Thanks!
    AM
    Last edited by maximumrog57; 12-29-2021 at 02:15 AM.

ROG Member Array

New ROGer Array Ribellu PC Specs
    Ribellu PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus Z690 HERO
    ProcessorI7 12700KF
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2X16Gb 5200Mhz 38/38/38/74
    Graphics Card #1Asus ROG-STRIX-RTX3080TI-O12G-GAMING
    MonitorAsus VG27AQ
    Storage #1SSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1T
    Storage #2SSD Samsung 960 EVO 500gb
    CPU CoolerMSI MAG CoreLiquid C240
    CaseThermaltake Commander C31 TG
    Power SupplyCorsair HX850
    Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
    Mouse Razer Bazilisk V2
    Headset/Speakers Hyper X Cloud Alpha
    OS Windows 10 Pro 21H2

i saw this video earlier it looks scary, i checked my MB and luckily it is on the right side.

Name:	IMG_1449.JPG 
Size:	418.7 KB 
ID:	91400
    Last edited by Ribellu; 12-29-2021 at 01:41 AM.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast