cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Maximus XIII Hero - what memory is working for you?

McIrish
Level 7
I built a new computer a few weeks ago and used a ROG Maximus XIII Hero (Z590) chipset with an i9 11900K. From looking at the compatibility I went with Crucial Ballistix BL16G32C16U4W memory. Four sticks to total 64G of memory. I made all the manual settings and even tried the XMP1 setting for it. No matter what I do, the memory is not stable. It cycles through the boot process at least four times before finally getting to the OS. Once in Window, it will randomly crash. Either I have a bad stick or ASUS is wrong about the compatibility.

What are you using that is working well? It doesn't have to be the fastest. I put in some old G Skill F4-3000C15-8GVR (DDR4-2133) and it works fine. Still, I'd like to put in something a bit better. What's your thoughts?

PS: I'm trying to return the Crucial. Not sure how well that will go.
30 REPLIES 30

Grimpak
Level 8
McIrish wrote:
I built a new computer a few weeks ago and used a ROG Maximus XIII Hero (Z590) chipset with an i9 11900K. From looking at the compatibility I went with Crucial Ballistix BL16G32C16U4W memory. Four sticks to total 64G of memory. I made all the manual settings and even tried the XMP1 setting for it. No matter what I do, the memory is not stable. It cycles through the boot process at least four times before finally getting to the OS. Once in Window, it will randomly crash. Either I have a bad stick or ASUS is wrong about the compatibility.

What are you using that is working well? It doesn't have to be the fastest. I put in some old G Skill F4-3000C15-8GVR (DDR4-2133) and it works fine. Still, I'd like to put in something a bit better. What's your thoughts?

PS: I'm trying to return the Crucial. Not sure how well that will go.

Hmm... I think the reason is because you're trying to run 4 dual rank sticks of high density. 11th and below only works well with 2 ranks per channel. Those sticks are dual rank so, you're putting 4 ranks per each channel. The CPU memory controller might not be able to handle it well. Add the fact that high density is harder to clock, and your troubles aren't that uncommon.
Advice: if you reeeeaaaally want 64gb, get 2x32gb sticks, or specifically search for 16gb single rank sticks. I think that Kingston Fury Beast sticks (or the old HyperX Fury ones) are single rank while Kingston Fury Renegade (the old HyperX Predator) are dual rank.

Thank you for the help. I really appreciate it. Going back to the ASUS site and relooking at the compatible memory chart, I see you are right. I made the mistake of thinking that if a single stick is listed, then I could use 4 of them. Doh! Stupid mistake. Would 4 16G sticks run faster than 2 32G sticks? I'd like to get 64G if possible. I do a lot of audio work with samples.

bscool
Level 11
Best bet would be 2x32. I trust gskill ram config and it shows 3200 and 3600 working for 2x32. they also have 4000+ but then you are in gear 2 and it usually better to run gear 1 for lower latency. Although you will get better bandwidth in gear 2.

If you want to stay with Crucial their 2x32 "should" work. 4x16 can probably be made to work if you set sa and vccio manually but it can be time consuming to test and tweak.

https://www.gskill.com/configurator?page=1&cls=1529635169&manufacturer=1524725352&chipset=1612504860...,

Looks like the G.Skill F4-3200C16D-64GVK is compatible. It says so on the G.Skill site and on ASUS. I think I will go with that. The older G.Skill memory is working well so I might be able to trust this a bit more. Thanks for all the help.

Saltgrass
Level 13
I don't overclock but 2x16 G. Skill Trident Z RGB .. F4-4000C19D-32GTZR. Which is DDR4-4000.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

I got the G.Skill F4-3200C16D-64GVK memory. I installed it and was able to boot into Windows. CPU-Z shows it running slower, I figure because it was set via SPD.It shows DDR4-2667. I then restarted and went into the BIOS and set the AI Overclocker to XMP2, as that is what G.Skill says it is.
System won't boot. The error code is 3A - memory system agent initialization is started.
I had to wipe the cmos so I could get back into the BIOS. I ran Memtest with optimized default settings and it shows the memory being fine.

Both ASUS and G.Skill show this as compatible memory. They are in slots A2 and B2 as per the manual. Any ideas what I may have forgot to do? I have to say I'm pretty frustrated with this motherboard. The memory problems are driving me crazy. Short drive.

Thank you for the help.

McIrish wrote:
I got the G.Skill F4-3200C16D-64GVK memory. I installed it and was able to boot into Windows. CPU-Z shows it running slower, I figure because it was set via SPD.It shows DDR4-2667. I then restarted and went into the BIOS and set the AI Overclocker to XMP2, as that is what G.Skill says it is.
System won't boot. The error code is 3A - memory system agent initialization is started.
I had to wipe the cmos so I could get back into the BIOS. I ran Memtest with optimized default settings and it shows the memory being fine.

Both ASUS and G.Skill show this as compatible memory. They are in slots A2 and B2 as per the manual. Any ideas what I may have forgot to do? I have to say I'm pretty frustrated with this motherboard. The memory problems are driving me crazy. Short drive.

Thank you for the help.

use xmp mode 1 instead 2. maybe you'll need to pump up some voltages too. try to put vdram at 1.375 or something thereabouts (don't worry much here about voltage, ram can handle up to 1.4v well.

since you're below 3600mhz, try to put both memory controller on 1:1 and command rate on 1T too (thing it's 1:N on the bios options).

there are also some voltage settings that can be used here ( VCCSA mem OC and VCCIO) but... those can also make stuff unstable, so let's try to stay on the first round.

also, bios updated?

I tried all the settings you gave.
XMP1
Mem ratio 1:1
16-18-18-38
Command Rate 1N
Dram Voltage 1.375

This also failed to boot a couple time but eventually I was able to get into memtest. It failed on test 5.

Pretty disappointing that ASUS and G.Skill say this is compatible and should just drop in, change to XMP and it should work.
At least it is stable at the default 2667. I opened a ticket with both companies but neither has followed up with me.
For now I can work as it is. I am willing to try other ideas but I'd prefer to send this memory back if I really isnt going to work at it's rated speed.
Im not sure why this is. Any possibility that it is due to them being 32G sticks? I tried (4) 16G sticks first. That didn't work at all.

Thanks for the help

McIrish wrote:
I tried all the settings you gave.
XMP1
Mem ratio 1:1
16-18-18-38
Command Rate 1N
Dram Voltage 1.375

This also failed to boot a couple time but eventually I was able to get into memtest. It failed on test 5.

Pretty disappointing that ASUS and G.Skill say this is compatible and should just drop in, change to XMP and it should work.
At least it is stable at the default 2667. I opened a ticket with both companies but neither has followed up with me.
For now I can work as it is. I am willing to try other ideas but I'd prefer to send this memory back if I really isnt going to work at it's rated speed.
Im not sure why this is. Any possibility that it is due to them being 32G sticks? I tried (4) 16G sticks first. That didn't work at all.

Thanks for the help

try to setup it manually instead of going XMP.