cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix RTX 3070 fans always on at idle

MonstrousYiROG
Level 7
My Strix RTX 3070 fans always stays on at idle even when the Quiet mode switch is turned on. Took me a while to troubleshoot it and it turned out to be because of G-Sync. Having G-Sync on or/and running my monitor at it's overclocked speed 144 >165hz will also cause the fans to always spin at 1000RPM, regardless of the temperature. I've tried reinstalling drivers, DDU, reinstall windows and everything but as i mentioned the issue is caused when G-Sync is on or/and running the monitor at 165hz.

Temps are low 45c idle when fans are off. I don't need these fans to stay on when GPU sits at idle but i also want to use G-Sync at the same time. I'm aware you can do a custom fan curve in something like MSI afterburner but i want to use what i get out of the box with no additional tools requires.

CPU: 12900k
GPU: ROG Strix 3070 8GB OC V2
Monitors: ROG PG279Q

Any help will be appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

xeromist
Are you using the drivers from the Strix support page? Sometimes the latest Nvidia drivers work well and sometimes they might have strange behaviors so it's worth trying ASUS validated ones. Otherwise, it's ok at 144hz or also stays on? It might be the higher refresh is generating *just enough* load to cause the fans to stay on.

I'd also recommend moving this thread to the GPU section in case other users have had this issue and resolved it. ASUS does occasionally read posts here from what I understand but you'd be better off contacting ASUS support to complain of the issue and looking for solutions from the community here. I can move the thread if you like. Let me know.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Are you using the drivers from the Strix support page? Sometimes the latest Nvidia drivers work well and sometimes they might have strange behaviors so it's worth trying ASUS validated ones. Otherwise, it's ok at 144hz or also stays on? It might be the higher refresh is generating *just enough* load to cause the fans to stay on.

I'd also recommend moving this thread to the GPU section in case other users have had this issue and resolved it. ASUS does occasionally read posts here from what I understand but you'd be better off contacting ASUS support to complain of the issue and looking for solutions from the community here. I can move the thread if you like. Let me know.

Haven't tried the Drivers from the asus website but i'll give that a try, i always get my drivers from Nvidia, since's it's an Nvidia card and they're the one providing the software not asus. Regardless running the monitors are 144hz is fine but 165hz will cause the fans to always spin up and disables 0db mode, same goes if G-Sync is on.

Edit: I moved this thread to the GPU section, thanks for letting me know.

Same thing happens to me, I have a STRIX RTX 2070 super Advanced and the fans are always spinning, regardless of the refresh rate of my monitor, they spin at 60 Hz or at 165 Hz

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
MonstrousYiROG wrote:
My Strix RTX 3070 fans always stays on at idle even when the Quiet mode switch is turned on. Took me a while to troubleshoot it and it turned out to be because of G-Sync. Having G-Sync on or/and running my monitor at it's overclocked speed 144 >165hz will also cause the fans to always spin at 1000RPM, regardless of the temperature. I've tried reinstalling drivers, DDU, reinstall windows and everything but as i mentioned the issue is caused when G-Sync is on or/and running the monitor at 165hz.

Temps are low 45c idle when fans are off. I don't need these fans to stay on when GPU sits at idle but i also want to use G-Sync at the same time. I'm aware you can do a custom fan curve in something like MSI afterburner but i want to use what i get out of the box with no additional tools requires.

CPU: 12900k
GPU: ROG Strix 3070 8GB OC V2
Monitors: ROG PG279Q

Any help will be appreciated.

Can you confirm what VBIOS? Remove any third party tools such as MSI AB.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090