Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by chsoriano View Post
    You can make a visual inspection of the board as well. Look for the capacitor just above and slightly to the right of the DIMM slots. Positive (stripe) side should be on the right. This isn't my photo but here's a picture showing the capacitor backwards (defective).

Attachment 91744

I ended up replacing my Z690 Hero with a Z690 Extreme board since I wasn't able to find a Z690 Hero that was not affected.
    Thank you for the information. Visual confirmation and with the serial number, I can confirm I have a defective board. Did you have it replaced through Asus? I asked if they would swap it for a Formula and they said no, only for Hero whenever they get any, which they said they have none. Maybe Newegg will honor a replacement while they let me pay for the difference to get the Formula.

Ugh, have to completely reinstall Windows and all my programs, what a complete nightmare.

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ROG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShannyMan View Post
    So it sounds like the short answer to my original question, is that this isn't possible and those XMP profiles for 4x16GB aren't supported. Is that correct? Is this something that may be supported later with a BIOS update? I'm not going to hold you to it, but just want to understand if this is some limitation which can be overcome or not. I was hoping the most recent BIOS, which hasn't been publicly released yet, may fix it. I do see some supported 4x16GB configurations on the QVL but not at 6K speed. Thanks.

At this point given the effective range of running two sticks, I would say that 4x16 6K is not possible on this gen, or it will be highly unobtainable without a good IMC.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin7700 View Post
    I have the same issue with the same board and RAM sticks.

Z690 Hero
    4xDIMMs of GSkill 6000 CL36 2x (2x16GB)

Running only 2 DIMMs I can get XMP I to work but II gets errors on Memtest. When I run 4 DIMMs, XMP I & II get no boot.

Curious to see what others are doing to get this to work even close to 6000MHz.
    I have 2x16gb TridentZ5@6000MHz, after enabling XMP II profile memory started to work properly at their speed with no errors, XMP I was a mess.

ROG Member Array

Thank you for the information. Visual confirmation and with the serial number, I can confirm I have a defective board. Did you have it replaced through Asus? I asked if they would swap it for a Formula and they said no, only for Hero whenever they get any, which they said they have none. Maybe Newegg will honor a replacement while they let me pay for the difference to get the Formula.

Ugh, have to completely reinstall Windows and all my programs, what a complete nightmare.
    If you're replacing with the same board, you shouldn't need to reinstall Windows.

ROG Member Array

So I was able to run a successful MemTest at 5000MHz with my 16GBx4. I need to double check the latency but I think it was CL42. I can double check this weekend. I had set everything to auto except for the speed.

On a side note, I have to check my board's S/N to make sure it is not one of the affected batches. Ugh, it would be a nightmare to have to swap out the board!
    I backed mine down to 4800 this weekend and it's been rock solid so far. Everything else is using the XMP settings for CL36. I'm not sure if it's using XMP I or II.

ROG Member Array

I recently installed 4 sticks of G.Skill Trident Z5 6000 CL36 (6000U3636E16GX2) into my Z690 Maximus Hero board. The RAM runs fine and the system is stable at 4800 using no XMP settings, but when I try to switch to either XMP I or II, the system fails to boot and enters safe boot mode after about 5 minutes.

I saw this thread talking about burnout on the motherboard, and it seems like others have had similar issues, so I'm not in a hurry to get this working, but it seems like others have gotten it working. Has anyone else had problems or figured how to get it to boot using the 6000/CL36 XMP settings? I've installed the latest BIOS, 0803. I saw someone else mention there was another, newer BIOS, but I hesitate to install a beta version. Maybe this will fix it. UPDATE: The now officially released 0811 firmware did not fix this issue either.

I also noticed this RAM is not on the QVL yet, nor are any other modules with this low of timing.

Thanks!
    I have Corsair Platinum 5200 2X16Gb kit. On the original BIOS, I couldn't get XMP setting to take, until I swapped the slots the DIMMS where in, they should be in the 2nd channel. But I couldn't get the built in presets to work until I flashed the BIOS to 811. With the 811 BIOS I could then get the 5400 pre-set to work and even change the speed to 5600, but it wasn't stable it would bluescreen after 30-60 minutes. But the problem I have now, is that the pre-set have stopped working. It will allow me to load the 2X16 Micron 5400 pre-set, but it doesn't change the speed to 5400, it keeps it at 5200, and if I change the speed manually to 5400, it won't POST. Anyone had anything similar or have any ideas? It's driving me nuts, these small increases in speed seem to have a massive effect, well they do, doing benchmarks, IDK if you'd notice them day to day.

ROG Member Array

If you're replacing with the same board, you shouldn't need to reinstall Windows.
    Newegg let me return the board since Asus did not have any replacements for the Hero at the moment so I went with the Formula and paid the difference.

Running 5GHz with the 16x4 setup everything else set to auto, Memtest passed.

If I have time this weekend, I will try to increase after I get a stable run for the CPU overclock.

ROG Member Array

Newegg let me return the board since Asus did not have any replacements for the Hero at the moment so I went with the Formula and paid the difference.

Running 5GHz with the 16x4 setup everything else set to auto, Memtest passed.

If I have time this weekend, I will try to increase after I get a stable run for the CPU overclock.
    Nice, let us know how the Formula works out @ 6000.
    I ended up replacing my Hero with the Extreme board. I ultimately ended up having to change voltages to pass memtest (VDD = 1.35 / VDDQ = 1.40)

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by chsoriano View Post
    Nice, let us know how the Formula works out @ 6000.
    I ended up replacing my Hero with the Extreme board. I ultimately ended up having to change voltages to pass memtest (VDD = 1.35 / VDDQ = 1.40)
    So far, stable at 5200 all set to auto and tested with Memtest. No boot at 6000. Will try to increase slowly when I have more time.

I am not that experienced with these new boards and their huge range of customizability, I think the last build I manually overclocked was a Q6600 LOL

I need to do some research on how to change all the parameters safely.
    Last edited by Edwin7700; 01-23-2022 at 02:51 AM.

ROG Member Array

Yeah, same here.
    I am still only running 2x16GB sticks, seemingly stable at 6000Mhz, default timings, but the higher VDD/VDDQ.

I'm not sure if I want to take my chances on 4x16GB or 2x32GB (if/when I can get my hands on more kits). For now I'm just glad I can play my games again!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast