cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690 Formula PCH hitting 90-92C should I worry?

Spartanjet
Level 7
I was just wondering if I could be concerned about such a high PCH temp. PCH will stay around 75-78 while doing lite things but reach 90-92C while gaming. I have good airflow 011 XL with 6 fans in 3 out. It probably doesn't help that I have M2_2 and M2_3 occupied plus my Strix 3080 sits right on top of it.
26 REPLIES 26

TZero
Level 7
It was the first thing I noticed about FORMULA.

I haven't had a chance to test it in games yet (one of the CORSAIR DDR5 5200-16x2 memories reported error code 50 within the first week of use and now I'm waiting for memory RMA) but I see that the PCH really gets hot (maximum so far in normal use 68C)

And I say this even having removed the fairing with PCH leds (there is still another board covering it).

I don't even want to see when I install my RTX 3090.
I'm seriously thinking about adapting a mini cooler to the PCH cover.

Braegnok
Level 14
Spartanjet wrote:
I was just wondering if I could be concerned about such a high PCH temp. PCH will stay around 75-78 while doing lite things but reach 90-92C while gaming. I have good airflow 011 XL with 6 fans in 3 out. It probably doesn't help that I have M2_2 and M2_3 occupied plus my Strix 3080 sits right on top of it.

75-78 under lite load, 90-92c with heavy load seems high for PCH temp. What voltage's are you running, is your system overclocked.

I'm running fairly high voltages on everything with system overclocked, under heavy load my PCH voltage is 1.056v with temps 57c.

I don't have any drives on my PCH,.. if your voltages are lower than mine and your temps are that high it does seem strange.

Try HWI_716 current version to check temps/voltages, could be software error not reading sensors correctly.

Personally seeing 90c under load on my PCH chip, I would pull heatsink and check/replace thermal pad, perhaps add some TP on top of thermal pad insureing I indeed have good contact with heatsink.
Intel 14900KF ~ Asus MZ790A ~ 48GB DDR5 ~ RTX 3090 FE ~ Crucial T700 SSD ~ SeaSonic TX-1600 ~ Praxis WetBench ~ Full Custom Water.

I get the same PCH temps like the poster before me: Low 50ies in idle, and higher 50ies when benchmarking. It's never above 60C. The temps mentioned by the OP of more than 90C under load are not "normal", I guess.

Just for information, Intel whitepaper says, max Temp for PCH is 108 Degree!

Wolfsaccount wrote:
Just for information, Intel whitepaper says, max Temp for PCH is 108 Degree!

108C? :cool: This is probably just below the melting point.

You can find this information in :
Intel®600 Series Chipset Family Platform Controller HubDatasheet, Volume 1 of 2
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/134594/intel-core-i712700k-processor-25m-cache-...
go to Technical Documentation

Wolfsaccount wrote:
You can find this information in :
Intel®600 Series Chipset Family Platform Controller HubDatasheet, Volume 1 of 2
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/134594/intel-core-i712700k-processor-25m-cache-...
go to Technical Documentation

Interesting finding! However, I wonder what 0C to 108C actually means? Is 108C the max possible temp before the chip becomes inoperable? I think more useful/helpful would be, Intel giving an "average", or a temperature corridor for the PCH operating under regular / normal conditions. It seems, going by the posts here, that would be somewhere between 50C and 70C.

One more small tidbit on the z690 extreme the PCH heatsink is directly on the bottom right below the Aura-sync led piece. The small black triangle. I91364 I know you can open the M.2 cover obv, but is there a way to open this led cover to add some thermal pads or something lol Did anyone mess with the PCH cover?

theroc44 wrote:
One more small tidbit on the z690 extreme the PCH heatsink is directly on the bottom right below the Aura-sync led piece. The small black triangle. I91364 I know you can open the M.2 cover obv, but is there a way to open this led cover to add some thermal pads or something lol Did anyone mess with the PCH cover?

The PCH Heatsinks generally are screwed on/off from the backside of the motherboard. When removing these screws it's vary important to use correct size screw tip, use a heat gun to heat Loctite/screw, and apply slow straight down force,.. otherwise you will strip screw head, and need to use a screw extractor to remove screws.

Most likely your Z690 Extreme boards PCH heatsink mounting screw location is similar to the MZ690EG,.. looks like three screws perhaps more.

Intel 14900KF ~ Asus MZ790A ~ 48GB DDR5 ~ RTX 3090 FE ~ Crucial T700 SSD ~ SeaSonic TX-1600 ~ Praxis WetBench ~ Full Custom Water.