cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory no longer compatible

cgrounds
Level 7
Anyone else come across memory that's on the QVL list, that is no longer supported? I have a Z590-e board(11700k-I7), with GSkill F4-5066C20D-16GVK memory. I went from BIOS 0902 to 1202, and it no longer runs past the default 2133 speed. XMP1 and XMP2 mode force it to fail back into safe mode recovery. I admit, I am no expert for overclocking memory, but if it worked before I am disappointed with ASUS for the "easy out" answer. If anyone thinks they have a way to make it work again, I'd appreciate the help

From ASUS:

My name is Dahn M.. First and foremost, thank you for your patience while we completed our review and research of this issue. We apologize for the delay, and are grateful for the opportunity to continue to assist you.

In accordance to the recommendation of our higher team: The F4-5066C20D-16GVK is not compatible with the motherboard. Please purchase Gksill F4-4400C19D-16GTZR
5 REPLIES 5

xeromist
So it was on the list and they took it off? Or it's still on the list but they're saying it's not compatible?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
So it was on the list and they took it off? Or it's still on the list but they're saying it's not compatible?

They said it's not compatible with my board, and to get a slower speed memory. Looking at the QVL list, it's still being listed as supported.

xeromist
Hrmm, I wonder if they're looking at the QVL for 10th gen. Your kit is only on the list for 11th gen k (which you have).

Anyway, it seems like sometimes certain BIOS versions have issues reading spd values from modules. I don't remember the thread but there was a BIOS with a bug that ASUS eventually resolved that sounded very similar to what you have experienced. Unless you have a specific reason to use 1202 I would go back to an earlier BIOS that works correctly. In the future if a new BIOS is released with patch notes about memory compatibility you could try that.

Alternatively, you could try using a RAM calculator to get values for your modules and manually input everything. That *should* work because you're not using XMP.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Hrmm, I wonder if they're looking at the QVL for 10th gen. Your kit is only on the list for 11th gen k (which you have).

Anyway, it seems like sometimes certain BIOS versions have issues reading spd values from modules. I don't remember the thread but there was a BIOS with a bug that ASUS eventually resolved that sounded very similar to what you have experienced. Unless you have a specific reason to use 1202 I would go back to an earlier BIOS that works correctly. In the future if a new BIOS is released with patch notes about memory compatibility you could try that.

Alternatively, you could try using a RAM calculator to get values for your modules and manually input everything. That *should* work because you're not using XMP.

Appreciate the info for memory calculator. I am hoping they release a updated BIOS in future. I don't plan on dropping several hundred dollars again for new memory.

I am happy to report that with BIOS update 1301, my memory is again running at 5066 in XMP1 mode. Not sure me *****ing to them fixed the issue, but 1301 release said DRAM fixes in the listing. I'm happy again 🙂