cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my Monitor trashed?

olowshinenine
Level 7
Brand new monitor out of the box. ROG Strix XG27UQR. Upon start up of the new build I had it plugged via HDMI cable into the mobo ( gigabyte aorous ax elite ). Booted up, installed windows 10 everything was fine with the monitor. Then I connected to internet and downloaded the driver for the EVGA rtx 3080 ti. Installed driver and as soon as the driver finished the screen started tearing. Unplugged HDMI and put into GPU and rebooted still tearing.

Tried different cables still tearing. Unplugged monitor and plugged computer into my tv. No screen tearing. Then looked at the Asus monitor again just plugged into power no optical connection and the screen was flicking in black.

It's almost like the Nvidia driver corrupted the monitor firmware.

Anyone have an issue like this?

Videos of the problem attached

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=19ywQi9DWqhNGuyuhzUY-vmcYzCADpda5

its so ironic my last asus monitor 10 years ago had issues I had to RMA twice.
2 REPLIES 2

xeromist
If the monitor is flickering with nothing attached then I would exchange or return it.

I wouldn't say Nvidia corrupted the monitor. More likely it's just that the generic driver wasn't stressing the display. It might have only been running at 1080p 60hz. You could always try testing a lower refresh to see if you get a stable image but obviously you got this display to run at high refresh and if it can't then it's probably not worth what you paid for it.

EDIT: The HDMI ports on that display won't support 4k 144hz as they are only HDMI 2.0, apparently. So you should be using a DisplayPort cable.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

RedSector73
Level 12
If you have another monitor, try it first and make sure this is the problem. Also, try another HDMI cable.