Storage #1Samsung 980 Pro
    CPU CoolerQuantum Kinetic TBE 300 D5 with Quantum VTX 160
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1600i
    Keyboard Asus ROG Claymore 2
    Mouse Asus ROG Gladius III
    OS Windows 11 64

Quote Originally Posted by captaintrips View Post
    So just because I'm trying to understand the definition of mixing kits, this would imply buying two identical kits from same vendor of same model/type. So if I buy (2x) matching 2x16gb 5200mhz kits to get 64gb, this is still considered mixing kits and is a bad idea?

Just trying to make certain this is what is implied. And even if matching identical kits, it's problematic because the actual chips themselves were binned for only the other module included, and not against any other module even from matching kits?

I'm not being facetious and coy, I'm just trying to confirm this is what is being mentioned to avoid (sorry I'm not a expert in ram module manufacturing specifics)

Correct. Combining identical kits from the same vendor is not recommended. Here’s the definitive guide:

Â*https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...atoes-overview

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ROG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by captaintrips View Post
    So just because I'm trying to understand the definition of mixing kits, this would imply buying two identical kits from same vendor of same model/type. So if I buy (2x) matching 2x16gb 5200mhz kits to get 64gb, this is still considered mixing kits and is a bad idea?

Just trying to make certain this is what is implied. And even if matching identical kits, it's problematic because the actual chips themselves were binned for only the other module included, and not against any other module even from matching kits?

I'm not being facetious and coy, I'm just trying to confirm this is what is being mentioned to avoid (sorry I'm not a expert in ram module manufacturing specifics)

Yes, memory kits are binned in the DENSITY they are sold in. This means if you combine kits, regardless of PN, manufacturer, or what socks you had on when you bought them, you eat into what's referred to as the guardband or tolerances the memory vendor puts into the kit.

This part of the aforementioned article explains this.

Memory kits are programmed with the timings and frequency that the memory vendor found to be stable for a given density - a single memory kit in other words. If a 16GB kit can handle a particular memory timing at 10 clocks, that's what the memory vendor will program into the memory kit's XMP or SPD profile. If we add another 16GB of the same kit to the system, its probable that this 10 clock delay needs to be increased to 12 or more clocks in order to ensure stability. It could be worse still, as the modules may require more voltage or not be capable of running at a given frequency at all. Either way, the system will only have the timings of a single memory kit to reference, leaving any adjustments to the end-user to perform. There’s the primary cause for end-user frustration right there, most are not equipped to deal with the situation and end up frustrated, blaming all and sundry for their misadventure.

New ROGer Array

I have Z690 extreme glacial with G.skill 6000/36cl… 4x16gb. All the same. Latest bios update 0811
    Not working like at all. Very frustrating.Â*

ROG Enthusiast Array captaintrips PC Specs
    captaintrips PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus Extreme Z690
    ProcessorIntel i9 12900k @ 5.4ghz
    Memory (part number)Adata XPG Lancer DDR5 - 4x16GB - 64GB - 5200mhz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Sound CardAsus XtremeFX onboard
    MonitorLG CX 65 OLED - 4k 120hz G-sync
    Storage #1Sabrent Rocket 4TB PCIE4.0 NVMe
    Storage #2Sabrent Rocket 4TB PCIE4.0 NVMe
    CPU CoolerAsus Ryujin II 360
    CaseCoolermaster C700M
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova G3 1000w
    Keyboard Bloody laser-switch wired / Corsair K63 wireless
    Mouse Corsair M65 PRO wired / Corsair Dark Core Pro wireless
    Headset Steelseries Artcis 9
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM800 Polaris / Corsair Lapboard
    OS Windows 11 Pro
    Network RouterPFsense mini-pc

Good to know. Will be more careful about kits of any kind in the future. I'll be honest, I saw 4 empty slots and thought "well I'll just jab (2) matching kits in there and off I go into XMP land", not thinking that the modules themselves had been tested only against the one in the exact kit.

I'll just leave it at auto which gets 4000mhz to get my 64gb. I did pull out my second kit to test it at 5200mhz on just 32gb, but to be honest, I saw no fps gain in any of the games I benched.

New ROGer Array

I have Z690 Extreme and the Gskill 2x16gbCL36 6000MHZ cant get past 4800mhz CL 40 without any errors in Memtest.

Another Question, can u guys change the RGBs with armoury Crate on G skill rams?
    I cant.

New ROGer Array

Put me down as another sucker.
    I *need* 64gb of ram for work. Running 32 just won't work / cannot do what I need to do.

Obviously, a kit doesn't seem to yet exist.

I seem to be able to load the XMP profile, drop down to 5200hz and pass memtest86
    (Memtest says the timings are 40-40-40-77 with 4800htz, instead of the 36-36-36 they should be on 5200hz, so I'm confused on this...).

Tested separately, both kits (a_2, b_2) take kindly to XMP1 and XMP2.

The moment you put them together the board won't even boot without dropping the frequency down.

Is there any hope?

Should I just sell both kits and buy a matched 128GB kit of ddr4 instead? (Because realistically for what I do, even 64GB is barely enough).

Suggestions/timings to test, etc, all advice definitely welcome.
    Particularly if you know of high performing ddr4 kits that would equal or beat the clocked down ddr5...
    Last edited by MostHostLA; 01-21-2022 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MostHostLA View Post
    Put me down as another sucker.
    I *need* 64gb of ram for work. Running 32 just won't work / cannot do what I need to do.

Obviously, a kit doesn't seem to yet exist.

I seem to be able to load the XMP profile, drop down to 4800htz and pass memtest86
    (Memtest says the timings are 40-40-40-77, instead of the 36-36-36 they should be).

Tested separately, both kits (a_1, b_1) take kindly to XMP1 and XMP2.

The moment you put them together the board won't even boot without dropping the frequency down.

Is there any hope?

Should I just sell both kits and buy a matched 128GB kit of ddr4 instead? (Because realistically for what I do, even 64GB is barely enough).

Suggestions/timings to test, etc, all advice definitely welcome.
    Particularly if you know of high performing ddr4 kits that would equal or beat the clocked down ddr5...

What board? There are a couple of test UEFI builds that were released that might help with a partial remedy, however, it's very unlikely the kits will ever operate at XMP when combined as it wasn't designed to.
    Last edited by Silent Scone@ROG; 01-21-2022 at 09:21 AM.

New ROGer Array

Obviously the one they just recalled for catching on fire...
    Because of that, I'm currently on a crap strix z690-f
    Will definitely go back to a maximus as soon as possible. This board is just all sorts of a downgrade.
    (At worse I can sell the extra ram/mobo as a combo.)

From what I have been reading on so far, it seems that even with a matched 64gb kit you cannot really get even remotely close to the xmp profile performance values...
    I put in a support message with gskill to see what they suggest in terms of performance equivalent ddr4 kits of larger total sizes.

Also, now that I remember the issue was very similar going from ddr3 to ddr4 for early adopters - but at the time, I was broke and in school, so I actually researched things throughly before making purchases...
    While now, in all the excitement of finally getting a proper rig in order for the studio that would finally run the programs we use without even blinking, I completely forgot about the fact that we are in fact in an early adoption stage...

Thanks for the quick reply though - all advice welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by MostHostLA View Post
    Obviously the one they just recalled for catching on fire...
    Because of that, I'm currently on a crap strix z690-f
    Will definitely go back to a maximus as soon as possible. This board is just all sorts of a downgrade.
    (At worse I can sell the extra ram/mobo as a combo.)

From what I have been reading on so far, it seems that even with a matched 64gb kit you cannot really get even remotely close to the xmp profile performance values...
    I put in a support message with gskill to see what they suggest in terms of performance equivalent ddr4 kits of larger total sizes.

Also, now that I remember the issue was very similar going from ddr3 to ddr4 for early adopters - but at the time, I was broke and in school, so I actually researched things throughly before making purchases...
    While now, in all the excitement of finally getting a proper rig in order for the studio that would finally run the programs we use without even blinking, I completely forgot about the fact that we are in fact in an early adoption stage...

Thanks for the quick reply though - all advice welcome.
    Matched kits will work, that's why they're matched. What's limited is high-frequency kits in that configuration.

The reason? It's not possible on this gen to run them that high. Up to 5600 should be achievable with a good IMC in 4 DIMM configurations, though. If the memory vendors thought it was worth it, they would be selling these types of configurations. Right now on this generation, it is not worth the vendor's time due to platform limitations.
    Last edited by Silent Scone@ROG; 01-21-2022 at 01:16 PM.

New ROGer Array

I am on the same boat. Had the Hero and returned it for the Formula. Have the two sets of 2x16GB GSkill 6000MHz CL36 and cannot get anything higher than 5000Mhz with the built-in profile, 5200 ran fine but gave me errors in game. I do not feel that comfortable doing any of the manual tuning.

I just bought the Corsair 2x32GB 5200MHz CL40 set to test and will return the others if I can run it no problem maybe even clock it a bit higher.

Such a shame because I can run the 2x16GB at XMP and its great, but I need 64GB for work because of Revit and want to be future proof. For gaming, 32GB is more than enough.

Dang it, new tech, need to pay the early adopter fee!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast