cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Road to XMP stability - DDR5 4x16 (GSkill 6000CL36) on Z690 Formula

Peazmack
Level 7
Looking to share some input as well as try to get some from other, more experienced people in the field of OCing and coping with Z690/DDR XMP issues. So I went ahead of me, and bought 2 kits of GSkill DDR5 2x6 @6000MHz CL36. Of course, like for majority of us I reckon, it does not boot in either of the XMP settings. Now before I give up and switch back to using only 2 sticks instead of 4 which seem to cause more issues, looking for some input on the below. Im using latest bios available as of now for my motherboard (Z690 Formula with 12900K).

Closest to the XMP that I got is 5400 CL36 with VDD and VDDQ left alone at 1.3, System Agent left on auto (1.25 it seems) and Memory Controller on 1.23. That seems to be rock solid, had over 2.5 hours spent in Karhu's RAM Test without any errors the other night. VDD and VDDQ did not really impact the stability here, unless it went over 1.35, then I started getting errors. 1.23 for memory controller was the lowest I could go while being free of errors.

Attempted to go for 5600 CL36 tonight, but hardly any progress. Closest to Stability was VDD and VDDQ at 1.31 (I doubt it made any difference here), System Agent still on Auto and Memory Controller on around 1.29. I could boot no problem, but had constantly first ram error found within first 30 minutes of RAM Test, which I consider a fail. Any advice how to move it forward? Shall I push the Memory Controller above 1.3 threshold and look for stability there? Any other setting I'm missing here?
Additionally, should I settle for 4x16 5400 CL36 quad or switch to 2x16 dual with XMP 6000 CL36? Which would be more beneficial (I know it's rather marginally better) for gaming?
65 REPLIES 65

captaintrips
Level 7
I noticed in 0811 bios for my extreme z690 I can at least post in xmp1 (windows bsod's when trying to load). This was first bios update where at least one of the xmp profiles would let me post, so I'm refreshing this forum several times a day waiting for the next bios update lol.

I'm on similar scenario, but adata xpg lancer 4x16gb ddr5. It's 5200mhz rated at CL38 @ 1.25v, but I'm not familiar enough with all these voltages and bios settings for vdd, vdq, etc to understand what I'm doing. I am just leaving all that on auto right now, which gets me only 4000mhz and hope the next bios from shamino comes soon.

rjbarker
Level 11
Have you guys tried going "Manual" and loading the pre-loaded Memory Profiles (skip XMP altogether?

Haven't tried to load the mem profiles in bios, I considered them useless anyway, but might give them a try if you think it might yield results. For now though, I will make another attempt at going 5600 with higher Mem Controller voltage. With that said, I'm not sure I have more breathing room there. I need 1.23 mem controller to work in 5400. 5600 - if even possible - will need more than 1.3. Even if I get it stable at 5600 with over 1,3 in mem controller, I doubt I could go any higher without getting into unsafe temps for memory controller there. I will try to see whether I can get XMP on only 2 sticks, so 2x16. If I do, I'll try to OC it further on just two sticks and then try to run some benchmarks between 4x16 @5400CL36 and 2x16@6000CL36 to decide which one is better for gaming.

rjbarker wrote:
Have you guys tried going "Manual" and loading the pre-loaded Memory Profiles (skip XMP altogether?

I have with a bit of success, strangely with hynix profiles and not the micron ones I should be using. Still get errors in memtest86 with the one that was working best though

Yeah, I've seen these Scone, to be honest I was not aware that combining two kits is so problematic. I've had 4 sticks in both of my previous platform on 7700k and 8700k. I will fiddle around 5600 a bit more since I bought them already so a bit of a shame to give up so easily. If unlucky, will try 2x16 instead.

Peazmack wrote:
Yeah, I've seen these Scone, to be honest I was not aware that combining two kits is so problematic. I've had 4 sticks in both of my previous platform on 7700k and 8700k. I will fiddle around 5600 a bit more since I bought them already so a bit of a shame to give up so easily. If unlucky, will try 2x16 instead.

It becomes more problematic the higher up the obtainable frequency spectrum you go. Concessions to timings need to be made, including sub-timings. It can be quite exhausting to find suitable settings where stability isn't conditional.

This is the rationale as to why binned kits exist in the first place. 😉
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

It is clear to me your knowledge in this area is much broader than mine. I managed to reach 6200 CL36 with 2x16 kit, the other 2x16 just lies on the desk for now waiting for decision whether to sell it or not...which combination would you advise, shall I stick with 4x16 @5400 cl36 or go for 2x16@6200 cl36 performance wise?

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
It becomes more problematic the higher up the obtainable frequency spectrum you go. Concessions to timings need to be made, including sub-timings. It can be quite exhausting to find suitable settings where stability isn't conditional.

This is the rationale as to why binned kits exist in the first place. 😉

+1 ....I gave up on trying to "combine" kits years ago....many years ago.....why introduce yet another "factor" into a problem....just purchase complete kits that have been "proven"....