Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    New ROGer Array

It is clear to me your knowledge in this area is much broader than mine. I managed to reach 6200 CL36 with 2x16 kit, the other 2x16 just lies on the desk for now waiting for decision whether to sell it or not...which combination would you advise, shall I stick with 4x16 @5400 cl36 or go for 2x16@6200 cl36 performance wise?

ROG Member Array

Considering my self to try removing one pair and test if it's XMP-1 fine with just one pair.
    Then I can sell the other pair to someone in need, who has no DDR5 at all yet.

Hopefully I can upgrade to a faster pair of 2x32GB later.

ROG Enthusiast Array captaintrips PC Specs
    captaintrips PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus Extreme Z690
    ProcessorIntel i9 12900k @ 5.4ghz
    Memory (part number)Adata XPG Lancer DDR5 - 4x16GB - 64GB - 5200mhz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Sound CardAsus XtremeFX onboard
    MonitorLG CX 65 OLED - 4k 120hz G-sync
    Storage #1Sabrent Rocket 4TB PCIE4.0 NVMe
    Storage #2Sabrent Rocket 4TB PCIE4.0 NVMe
    CPU CoolerAsus Ryujin II 360
    CaseCoolermaster C700M
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova G3 1000w
    Keyboard Bloody laser-switch wired / Corsair K63 wireless
    Mouse Corsair M65 PRO wired / Corsair Dark Core Pro wireless
    Headset Steelseries Artcis 9
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM800 Polaris / Corsair Lapboard
    OS Windows 11 Pro
    Network RouterPFsense mini-pc

I *almost* had adata xpg lancer 4x16gb 5200mhz stable using one of the timing profiles of 5000mhz 4x16gb hynix option (which is bizarre as its technically micron chips). Windows seem to run fine, though had a few errors in memtest.

I was also able to get 5200mhz to boot into windows a few times without crashing using 1.25vdd/1.25vddq/1.25mcc and maximus tweak setting of "2". It failed to load windows about every other boot or bluescreened, but was first time I was able to get to desktop screen a few times. Memtest pitched tons of errors though with this setting.

This was on 0811 bios on extreme z690. Getting closer it seems.

ROG Member Array

Still sounds like you are nowhere near the stability I had with 4x16GB XMP-1 on the BIOS 0702 with ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI.
    RAM was Corsair Vengence DDR5 5200MHz
    It has no issues ever starting windows and usually could run games for hours/days without much issue. Some random crash every 3rd day or so, but that's still not enough to rely on.

Removed one pair now and so far so good on XMP-1, memtest ran for 30 min without any errors. Guess I might sell one pair to someone who needs and buy larger sticks later when they become available.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array rjbarker PC Specs
    rjbarker PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus Z690 Apex BIOS 0811
    Processor12900K w EK Velocity 2
    Memory (part number)32 GB DDR5 - Dominator 5600 / Cl36
    Graphics Card #1Evga RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra w EK Vector
    Sound CardOnboard USB Realtek
    MonitorDell Alienware 34" Ultra wide 120Hz Gsync
    Storage #1Samsung 980 Pro 512G M.2 NVMe
    Storage #2Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2 NVMe
    CPU CoolerEK Velocity 2
    CaseCorsair 900D
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1600i
    OS W11 HP x64 - 21H1
    Accessory #1 480 * 360 * 240 XSPC Radiators (15 Fans) w 4 Channel 200W Fan Controller
    Accessory #2 XSPC Photon Rez / Vario Pump combo
    Accessory #3 Fesser Flex Tubing - Bits Power Fittings & EK SLi Terminal

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Scone@ROG View Post
    It becomes more problematic the higher up the obtainable frequency spectrum you go. Concessions to timings need to be made, including sub-timings. It can be quite exhausting to find suitable settings where stability isn't conditional.

This is the rationale as to why binned kits exist in the first place.
    +1 ....I gave up on trying to "combine" kits years ago....many years ago.....why introduce yet another "factor" into a problem....just purchase complete kits that have been "proven"....

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
    +1 ....I gave up on trying to "combine" kits years ago....many years ago.....why introduce yet another "factor" into a problem....just purchase complete kits that have been "proven"....
    Well, I have been using 2 kits with 2 x 8 GB DDR4 for many years, without any problem. Yes, it was known that if you want to push the RAM to the max, 4 modules are limiting you, and not recommended if you want to overclock. But being on various hardware forums for at least 20 years or so, I am not aware of the problems that currently many users are facing to get 2 kits with 2 x16 GB stable even at stock speed. And it seems in quite a few cases their system is not even booting. Also, why do we get 4 DDR5 DIMM sockets when it is virtually impossible to run the system with of all them populated? Are there 4 module DDR5 kits in the market that are binned to work together? I am not aware of them. Interestingly, MSI is offering a high end board with only 2 DIMM sockets. I guess that is the future for DDR5, because the max capacity per module is far higher than for DDR4, there is no need anymore for 4 modules, and managing only 2 DIMM sockets is certainly better/easier for the controller than operating 4 DIMM sockets.

ROG Enthusiast Array theroc44 PC Specs
    theroc44 PC Specs
    MotherboardZ690 Extreme
    Processor12900k 5.1GHZ
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator 32gigs 6200 CAS 36 DDR%
    Graphics Card #1EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra
    Sound CardCreative Soundblaster AE-9
    MonitorAsus Rog Swift PG32UQX
    Storage #1Samsung 980pro 2tb
    Storage #2WD SN850 2tb
    CPU CoolerMSI Meg Coreliquid 280r
    CaseCoolermaster C700p Black Edition
    Power SupplyASUS Rog Thor 1200 Certified 1200W Fully-Modular RGB
    Keyboard Logictech G915
    Mouse Logictech G502
    Headset Logictech G935
    Mouse Pad Logictech Lightning Pad
    Headset/Speakers Logictech Z906
    OS Windows 11 Professional

are there still not any ddr5 higher binned 64gb kits? That def means there's an issue. I bought 64gbs of ADATA 5200. I can not get all 4 sticks to run XMP/manual what have you. The truth is unless they start releasing larger 2 stick combos like Crucial, its gonna be a waiting game for a fix.
    Its been out for a little while now and only a few companies are even offering 64gbs. That is def a sign.

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ROG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chainbold View Post
    Well, I have been using 2 kits with 2 x 8 GB DDR4 for many years, without any problem. Yes, it was known that if you want to push the RAM to the max, 4 modules are limiting you, and not recommended if you want to overclock. But being on various hardware forums for at least 20 years or so, I am not aware of the problems that currently many users are facing to get 2 kits with 2 x16 GB stable even at stock speed. And it seems in quite a few cases their system is not even booting. Also, why do we get 4 DDR5 DIMM sockets when it is virtually impossible to run the system with of all them populated? Are there 4 module DDR5 kits in the market that are binned to work together? I am not aware of them. Interestingly, MSI is offering a high end board with only 2 DIMM sockets. I guess that is the future for DDR5, because the max capacity per module is far higher than for DDR4, there is no need anymore for 4 modules, and managing only 2 DIMM sockets is certainly better/easier for the controller than operating 4 DIMM sockets.

4 matched modules, or rather 4 modules binned as one kit to work at a set of timings and frequency, are far less problematic if one has a good methodology in tweaking.

The problem some are facing on Z690 is directly due to combining kits and expecting them to work at XMP without manual intervention, or even at all at the vendor's SPD settings.

As the platform matures overclocking will likely become easier, but if the vendors aren't putting high-speed DDR5 kits in 2DPC configurations there's no reason to "expect" anything more than what's been validated to work by them. Some users have a hard time facing some of these expectations and like to blame everything they can for their own misadventure. Trying to validate by saying " it should work because I've mixed kits before" shows there's still some gaps in ones base knowledge

Stock operation on Alderlake with two slots per channel and all slots populated is 3600 and 4000 for dual and single rank modules respectively.
    Last edited by Silent Scone@ROG; 01-01-2022 at 11:24 AM.

ROG Member Array

Well ye.
    If mixing kits were supposed to work. Why is there kits to begin with then? they would just sell RAM stick by stick if you could mix wildly.

ROG Enthusiast Array captaintrips PC Specs
    captaintrips PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus Extreme Z690
    ProcessorIntel i9 12900k @ 5.4ghz
    Memory (part number)Adata XPG Lancer DDR5 - 4x16GB - 64GB - 5200mhz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Sound CardAsus XtremeFX onboard
    MonitorLG CX 65 OLED - 4k 120hz G-sync
    Storage #1Sabrent Rocket 4TB PCIE4.0 NVMe
    Storage #2Sabrent Rocket 4TB PCIE4.0 NVMe
    CPU CoolerAsus Ryujin II 360
    CaseCoolermaster C700M
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova G3 1000w
    Keyboard Bloody laser-switch wired / Corsair K63 wireless
    Mouse Corsair M65 PRO wired / Corsair Dark Core Pro wireless
    Headset Steelseries Artcis 9
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM800 Polaris / Corsair Lapboard
    OS Windows 11 Pro
    Network RouterPFsense mini-pc

So just because I'm trying to understand the definition of mixing kits, this would imply buying two identical kits from same vendor of same model/type. So if I buy (2x) matching 2x16gb 5200mhz kits to get 64gb, this is still considered mixing kits and is a bad idea?

Just trying to make certain this is what is implied. And even if matching identical kits, it's problematic because the actual chips themselves were binned for only the other module included, and not against any other module even from matching kits?

I'm not being facetious and coy, I'm just trying to confirm this is what is being mentioned to avoid (sorry I'm not a expert in ram module manufacturing specifics)
    Last edited by captaintrips; 01-02-2022 at 10:17 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast