cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Armoury Crate v5.0.10.0 - Broken Fan Control Z690

fumap
Level 7
Hi all,

I have a big issue with v5.0.10.0. Did not update to v5.0.11.0 because I uninstalled Armoury Crate completely to solve my issue.

I have a Z690 Apex with BIOS 0811 (latest available, issue also with 0806) and a custom watercooling loop. I use a temperature sensor in the water to control my fan speed and it is attached to the T_Sensor probe on the motherboard. I use the UEFI QFan tool to setup my fan speed and I select the T_Sensor as the controlling parameter as I've always done.

Now, even with the UEFI BIOS correctly setup, if I have Armoury Crate installed my fan settings are overwritten by Armoury Crate even with the FanXpert turned completely OFF. I initially thought that setting the FanXpert off would solve the issue but it doesn't. The only solution I found was to completely remove Armoury Crate and, at that point, the profiles I setup in the UEFI worked perfectly.

Is this a known issue? If not, can you report to the dev for correction?
6 REPLIES 6

Jimbo93
Level 12
fumap wrote:
Hi all,

I have a big issue with v5.0.10.0. Did not update to v5.0.11.0 because I uninstalled Armoury Crate completely to solve my issue.

I have a Z690 Apex with BIOS 0811 (latest available, issue also with 0806) and a custom watercooling loop. I use a temperature sensor in the water to control my fan speed and it is attached to the T_Sensor probe on the motherboard. I use the UEFI QFan tool to setup my fan speed and I select the T_Sensor as the controlling parameter as I've always done.

Now, even with the UEFI BIOS correctly setup, if I have Armoury Crate installed my fan settings are overwritten by Armoury Crate even with the FanXpert turned completely OFF. I initially thought that setting the FanXpert off would solve the issue but it doesn't. The only solution I found was to completely remove Armoury Crate and, at that point, the profiles I setup in the UEFI worked perfectly.

Is this a known issue? If not, can you report to the dev for correction?

I helped another user to fix issues so that fan control in Armoury Crate works. And I have been through problems and myself, and found solutions and written quite a bit about fixing armoury crate. If you had Armoury Crate fan control working would that not allow you to control? Here is a link to the key post for situation of no fan control. https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?126943-Maximus-Z690-Hero-and-last-update-Fan-Xpert-4-BUG/p...

To get fan control working in Armoury Crate you need to get the Armoury Crate uninstaller tool available on your asus product support download page. You should be able to do a simple uninstall of ACrate with that uninstaller tool and then uninstall AI Suite 3. Then reinstall AI Suite 3 first, followed by installing ACrate second. If uninstall of ACRate fails, reboot and run uninstaller again. If uninstall fails a second time then use this clean boot modified procedure to uninstall it: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?126019-Jimbo%92s-uninstall-procedure-for-a-problem-free-re...

The modified procedure, which you hopefully wont need to use, requires some utility software called Autoruns by Sysinternals. If that is something you aren't familiar with and you need help with let me know.

If you have any questions after looking at those posts/threads please ask. Also if you have a means of making a backup image of your system, might be good to make one so you can get back to where you were if needed. So any problems questions you run into my suggestion is to stop and check back for advice.

Jimbo93 wrote:
I helped another user to fix issues so that fan control in Armoury Crate works. And I have been through problems and myself, and found solutions and written quite a bit about fixing armoury crate. If you had Armoury Crate fan control working would that not allow you to control? Here is a link to the key post for situation of no fan control. https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?126943-Maximus-Z690-Hero-and-last-update-Fan-Xpert-4-BUG/p...

To get fan control working in Armoury Crate you need to get the Armoury Crate uninstaller tool available on your asus product support download page. You should be able to do a simple uninstall of ACrate with that uninstaller tool and then uninstall AI Suite 3. Then reinstall AI Suite 3 first, followed by installing ACrate second. If uninstall of ACRate fails, reboot and run uninstaller again. If uninstall fails a second time then use this clean boot modified procedure to uninstall it: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?126019-Jimbo%92s-uninstall-procedure-for-a-problem-free-re...

The modified procedure, which you hopefully wont need to use, requires some utility software called Autoruns by Sysinternals. If that is something you aren't familiar with and you need help with let me know.

If you have any questions after looking at those posts/threads please ask. Also if you have a means of making a backup image of your system, might be good to make one so you can get back to where you were if needed. So any problems questions you run into my suggestion is to stop and check back for advice.

One last thought...When you get to the part to install AI Suite 3, use the latest version from your asus product support page.

Thanks for the reply, appreciated, but this does not address my issue.

I never had AiSuite3 installed, neither I want to. I like to setup everything via the UEFI while using Armoury Crate for the RGB/updates setup only.

Armoury Crate got fan control only in the last few versions and it collides with UEFI settings. I want my fans to be controlled ONLY via the UEFI but, for some reason, the Armoury Crate fan control built in takes priority even when switched off.

Issue is, Armoury Crate does not accept the T_sensor as a controlling parameter...it uses only CPU temperature, and this is useless (continous ramp up and down of fans...)

Hope this makes it a bit clearer!

fumap wrote:

I never had AiSuite3 installed, neither I want to. I like to setup everything via the UEFI while using Armoury Crate for the RGB/updates setup only.

Armoury Crate got fan control only in the last few versions and it collides with UEFI settings. I want my fans to be controlled ONLY via the UEFI but, for some reason, the Armoury Crate fan control built in takes priority even when switched off.

Issue is, Armoury Crate does not accept the T_sensor as a controlling parameter...it uses only CPU temperature, and this is useless (continous ramp up and down of fans...)

I cannot really do any testing of this issue having different hardware. Hope someone else can assist you.

Hello. I can confirm the same behavior on the ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming WIFI. Just completed my loop and I always use the T-sensor header with an inline fluid temp sensor to control my radiator fans as this allows the fans to react to both CPU and GPU temp increases as the fluid temp increases. This has worked flawlessly for me for many generations of ASUS boards until now. If I do not install Armoury Crate then it works as expected. As soon as I install it then the fans react only to CPU temperature and ignore the UEFI setting. I've turned off Fan Xpert in Armoury Crate via the built in toggle switch and there is no improvement. This is extremely disappointing considering the cost of this hardware along with all of the RGB blocks and other components in my loop. ASUS please address this.

fumap wrote:

Hey I feel your pain, Same issues, same setup, custom loop T-Probe the whole thing. Ive tried all sorts off uninstalling, cleaning ASUS tools etc. I also have an issue when my Monitors go to "sleep" my fans run to 100% so i was wodnering if this is also happeneing for you.

The only reason I have Crate install now is for the AURA led controls cos the rest of it sucks ass, and I have yet to fond anyonee praising ASUS Crate or any previous version like AI suites.

I really want it to all just work, does anyone know if we can get in contact ASUS properly to get some solid advice?