cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS B550-E fails cold boot when DOCP enabled

fl4co
Level 7
Hello,

I'd like to report a problem I'm encountering since I added 16 GB more to my build. Currently I have 4x8 GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 3200 MHz RAM (model CMT16GX4M2E3200C16).

When the system starts from a cold boot, for example after a power outage or if the PSU was off, and the D.O.C.P. profile was enabled, the system would fail to boot and show a "0d" or "IF" code. Pressing the reset button would result in a succesful boot afterwards.

If the D.O.C.P. profile was off, the system would boot normally even from a cold boot.

The problem might seem minor, but it effectively makes it impossible to use BIOS settings such as ErP, because with ErP on every boot is like a cold boot. I initially thought the problem was the RAM and had an RMA with Corsair, but the new modules result in the same behavior, so it's definitely the motherboard.

I have found people with the same problem: https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/ltmxfs/asus_rog_strix_b550e_gaming_cold_boot_issue_with/

Is this something that can be resolved with a firmware update or are these boards "flawed" at an hardware level?
8 REPLIES 8

MKEEN
Level 9
I had cold boot and memory issues with 4x8gb sticks with this board, I just used Ryzen Dram calculator and not DOCP, give it a go.

MKEEN wrote:
I had cold boot and memory issues with 4x8gb sticks with this board, I just used Ryzen Dram calculator and not DOCP, give it a go.

It's disappointing because DOCP should be a certified preset known to be working, but it actually doesn't with this motherboard.

Still hoping for a fix, but it seems like even BIOS upgrades are being dropped, no new firmware since August. Well, this was my firse build. Now I know what to expect from ASUS and make better choices in the future.

fl4co wrote:
It's disappointing because DOCP should be a certified preset known to be working, but it actually doesn't with this motherboard.

Still hoping for a fix, but it seems like even BIOS upgrades are being dropped, no new firmware since August. Well, this was my firse build. Now I know what to expect from ASUS and make better choices in the future.

There should be a new bios soon. I know it's a pain, but give that Dram calculator a go, once it's done, it's done, my system runs great now.

I won't buy ASUS again, so many people have had issues with their boards lately, and they charge premium so you expect better.

MKEEN wrote:
There should be a new bios soon. I know it's a pain, but give that Dram calculator a go, once it's done, it's done, my system runs great now.

I won't buy ASUS again, so many people have had issues with their boards lately, and they charge premium so you expect better.

I will, thank you.

fl4co wrote:

That's a complete falsehood, I'm afraid. DOCP is the same as XMP - it's overclocking. No vendors guarantee any overclock, not even the memory vendors. The "problem" is that the particular CPU isn't comfortable with the applied presets in order to pass DRAM training from a cold boot.

SOC Voltage is the key voltage for the memory controller. Try 1.15v - 1.2v manual set. You may wish to add 20mV to DRAM voltage as this may aid training.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
That's a complete falsehood, I'm afraid. DOCP is the same as XMP - it's overclocking. No vendors guarantee any overclock, not even the memory vendors. The "problem" is that the particular CPU isn't comfortable with the applied presets in order to pass DRAM training from a cold boot.

SOC Voltage is the key voltage for the memory controller. Try 1.15v - 1.2v manual set. You may wish to add 20mV to DRAM voltage as this may aid training.

Thank you for your explaination.

I tried going up to 1.2V for SOC voltage and added 0.02 V to the DRAM voltage but still no luck. As soon as I press the powetr button (after cutting the PSU from the switch or pulling the cable) the boot process immediately stops with an "IF" (or "1F", I don't know) code that I can't find in the manual. Pressing the RESET button fixes any problems until the power is cut again.

I don't even know if this has to do with memory training, because the IF code appears immediately and nothing happens then. No reboots or anything, until I manually reset from the case button.

Should I try a SOC voltage higher that 1.2V?

I want to add that I installed version 2603 beta, released on the 9th of February, and the problem with the 4 sticks in D.O.C.P. seems solved. I could even enable ErP on the BIOS and have no cold boot problems.

I don't know if ASUS specifically addressed the multiple reports or if it's now working by accident because of other changes, but I'm still happy I can cold boot without errors now.

fl4co wrote:
I want to add that I installed version 2603 beta, released on the 9th of February, and the problem with the 4 sticks in D.O.C.P. seems solved. I could even enable ErP on the BIOS and have no cold boot problems.

I don't know if ASUS specifically addressed the multiple reports or if it's now working by accident because of other changes, but I'm still happy I can cold boot without errors now.

Who knows. Vicariously it's impossible to say. It's possible changes to ucode or memory rules happened to solve your issue by chance.

Glad it's now working for you, though.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090