cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS recalls ROG Maximus Z690 Hero motherboards affect by reversed memory capacitor

Chainbold
Level 11
Fast reaction to the issue:

ASUS recalls ROG Maximus Z690 Hero motherboards affect by "reversed memory capacitor issue"

I
n a recent statement on their ASUS PC DIY Facebook page, ASUS has confirmed that some of their ROG Maximus Z690 Hero motherboards are impacted by manufacturing issue, with the preliminary investigation identifying a "potential reversed memory capacitor issue in the production process".

This manufacturing flaw has led to users of these motherboards experiencing 53 debug issues, and other memory related issues. However, it has been reported that this issue could lead to Z690 Hero motherboards catching fire in extreme cases.

Thankfully, this issue only appears to impact ROG Maximus Z690 Hero motherboards that were produced on a specific production line, affecting units that were produced in 2021 with the part number 90MB18E0-MVAAY0 and serial numbers starting with MA, MB, or MC. ASUS has confirmed that they are working with suppliers and customers to identify all affected motherboards, and that they "will be working with relevant government agencies on a replacement program."

S In all fairness, the blame for this lies in this case squarely with the PCB manufacturer, and not with Asus, as this is not a design flaw. At the end though, it's always the brand that takes final responsibility for the quality of the products sold under their name.
2 REPLIES 2

USERMAC
Level 9
Z690 Hero
My Memory capacitor looks different to these one's regardless of them being reversed or not.
My Serial Number starts with MA but my part number is 90MB18E0-M0EAY0

USERMAC wrote:
Z690 Hero
My Memory capacitor looks different to these one's regardless of them being reversed or not.
My Serial Number starts with MA but my part number is 90MB18E0-M0EAY0

Lucky then.

It seems only a certain Maximus Hero production lot was/is affected by the issue.